1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a noob knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Exwai, May 16, 2016.

1. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

The spyderco is probably the best all-around of the three, but id chose to give my business to KAI. They have the best warranty/CS in the business, and they will send you parts without question if you need them, spyderco will not, and they frown upon customers disassembling their own knives.

that being said, i'd look at the link over the cryo. Lighter, and (at least with the aluminum version) the blade has a detent hole, so the knife can be de-assisted (i mostly hate assisted knives). Strange that i love kershaw yet hate assisted knives....lol, its a complicated relationship.

Adahn likes this.
  2. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

lol, my luck is much different than yours. I've had a tremor bust a bar twice within 4 months, busted one in a leek, and one in my link.

3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I feel exactly the same. After drilling pivot holes for the Cryo and the Leek I'd only need aother one of each to make it right or better to say to prevent some mistakes ;)
    But yeah, if a spring shoots out the blade then make it automatic, otherwise make it manual.
    Kershaw knows how to make good springless flippers, just check out the Chill and the Skyline.

I'd really have to be strong not to make an order right away if there was a Chill or RAT 2 (faster than the Cryo without any spring) in D2, S30V or at least VG10...

4. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Try looking into the Real Steel Knives if you can. I just got a few out of curiousity since i have heard only good things about them. A tank of a knife I'm guessing similar to a RAT is their Blue Sheep. For manual wrist free flipping they have two models i tried, the Gerfalcon and their first all steel one...can't remember the model name, but they're solidly built and pretty light...except for that Blue Sheep, its got some heft to it. The Byrd line has been good to me for years, so they're worth looking into. Tenacious is okay, but the RSK's i mentioned enabled me to understand why I've heard nothing but good things about them!
    Be safe!

Adahn and Dustin.G like this.
  5. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

I couldn't have said it better myself. The Kershaw would be the first thing of grab if I was going to do any heavy cutting our chopping at work our in tbs field. The Spyde is what I would carry for general cutting. Spydetco makes great, dependable, and reliant knives, I have several and love them all. Kershaws are heavier and can take more abuse. BTW for a great gentleman's folder, I love my Spyderco Kiwi.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

6. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

I just looked at the process of the kiwi. My the 4th gen has gotten pricey.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

7. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Of the 3 listed, I'd go with the Spyderco.

I would also suggest looking into the Ontario Rat 1. Best bang for the buck in knives imo and has several handle colors to boot.

Daywalker likes this.
  8. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I also recommend the Rat 1 (or Rat 2 if you have slightly smaller hands or want a slightly smaller blade). Another to check out would be the Utilitac 2. Utilitac has 2 different blade shapes depending on your likes. It's another solid knife in the $30 range like most of the others that were in the OP's first post. I have a tenacious and it's a very nice knife but I will usually go for the Rat 1 or the Utilitac 2 over the Spyderco. It's just a personal preference but there is certainly nothing wrong with the tenacious or any of the knives in that lineup. I do have the Kershaw Skyline as well. It has not seen a lot of use but it's a very nice knife. The thing to keep in mind with the skyline is that it's not a particularly large knife. Pictures make it look larger than it is. It's a capable knife but just comes across as a bit of a gentleman's folder in some regards. I also have the Cryo 2 and it is a very solid and beefy knife as well. The pocket clip on the kershaw Cryo and Cryo 2 is very deep pocket carry so that's a nice touch. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the models mentioned.......it just depends on what blade shape you like, what materials you are partial to, and what your budget is. Keep us updated with which you pick and how you like it. :)

Daywalker and EXCALIBUR like this.
  9. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

You should send me one....just sayin

10. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Hey I wish I had the disposable income to do so. :D

Daywalker likes this.
  11. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

I think I'm getting the CRKT first. I read on some reviews that it comes razor sharp OOTB and is a good beater knife. I'm impressed with the CRKT more than the Kershaw Cryo 2 which has a lot of bad reviews.
    The Spyderco is too expensive for just the same sized knife. I might just save up for a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 after I get the CRKT.

12. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Good choice Exwai...but don't overlook these for what appears to be a darn good beater knife. The Real Steel Blue Sheep models. They're similar to the Ontario Rat 1, however I am not sure about prices or availability in your neck o' the woods.
    [​IMG]
    Be safe!