1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a noob knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Exwai, May 16, 2016.

1. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

Hey guys! I want to replace my 3$ pocket knife with a more serious EDC knife and I hope you can help me choose.

I'm looking into the Kershaw Cryo, CRKT Drifter and the Spyderco Persistence.
    [​IMG]
    They're all pretty much
    the same size and in the same price point. All have G10 scales.
    What do you think has the best blade quality among the three? I don't care much about the weight. I just want a knife that would last.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks!

2. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco would be my choice between those three. Good steel that's easy to sharpen and the FFG should make for a better slicer than the other two.
    Also, I think the Spyderco has a better blade shape for most general tasks.

Stuart Mantel and Exwai like this.
  3. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

How about the Kershaw Skyline? I was on the fence to pick up my first EDC knife, really like the look of the Cryo, or the Cryo G10, but then a lot of reviews seem to think that it is more look than function (heavy), which is pushing me towards the skyline...

c99camper likes this.
  4. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

FFG?

5. Todd21969

Todd21969 Loaded Pockets

Full Flat Grind

The type of edge profile.

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

Exwai and c99camper like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Second the vote for the Spyderco. I have a couple of Kershaws as well as several Spyderco. I like the Spyderco better. Lighter in hand and pocket. That FFG grind is indeed going to give you more versatile slicing. My Cryo has all metal handle; it is a heavy knife.

Moshe ben David

Exwai likes this.
  7. usanchez

usanchez Empty Pockets

My first "real" edc knife was an Ontario rat 2 so I feel guilty not giving such a great knife a mention. If however, you want just one knife from those three I also recommend the spyderco. Absolutely fantastic quality for a Chinese made knife. The 8cr13mov steel takes a wicked edge and is very easy to get to that point. Also the blade shape that spyderco uses is fantastic for so many different tasks. Overall a great choice for a first "real" edc knife.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

8. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

Thanks! My choices are also based on availability where I'm from.

usanchez likes this.
  9. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Just to be sure: Any legal requirements to follow? Like the :censored: laws regarding knives in Germany for example.
    I don´t know the three knives you have suggested and it´s also a matter of price but I really like my Ontario Rat II relating to size, weight and handling.

Exwai likes this.
  10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Ill vote for both the Kershaw and the Spyderco. The Kershaw is a great knife with a very thick blade, a tad on the heavy side but its a beast that will take a licking and serve you well. The spyderco is a more elegant solution with a slightly more delicate blade, it will slice better (think apples and stuff) but i would not use the tip as a prying bar nor would i beat on the back of the spine to split something. Both are good knives for the money they just serve different purposes. If you want a caveman knife buy the kershaw, if you want a gentleman's blade get the Spyderco.

Stuart Mantel and Exwai like this.
  11. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

For longevity at that price point I think the Tenacious would be your best option. I have owned all three and i feel that the fit and finish is definitely better on the tenacious. I also like the blade shape much more because of the "leaf" design. The thumb hole also offers more options of deployment then the cryo however it is not assisted like it, im sure you know. Personally i dont like assisted knives because i like the option of opening my knife slowly in public situations. Quite honestly youd be happy with both

Exwai likes this.
  12. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Cryo: Beast of a thick blade with assisted opening flipper. Framelock and g10
    Tenacious: Slicer. Linerlock and g10 on both sides
    Drifter: Slightly better steel. Slight recurve on the blade. Framelock with steel scale OR Linerlock with g10 scale

So, beastmode, simple edc, or refined cutting. My $0.02 ... Drifter

Exwai likes this.
  13. Dombe

Dombe Loaded Pockets

Tenacious was my first quality edc knife so another vote for spyderco or just get all of them :)

14. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

First, people are recommending the Tenacious, but you mentioned the Persistence. They're part of the same series from Spyderco, and the Tenacious is a little bigger. Either one is an excellent choice, and one that I would personally make over the other two.
    If you get a Cryo, get the G-10 handled version; it's lighter and has better grip. Also the Drifter is a great knife, and one that I've always read about as a good budget choice.
    For a great review of these knives, head to everydaycommentary and search on his review page(review of Tenacious, not Persistence; also note the disparity between the original Cryo and the G-10 version).

Now, if you're looking at spending about $40-50 on a knife, and you don't mind losing about .5 in of blade length, I'd recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly 2. It's just about perfect for a regular EDC knife. I would much rather have a Dragonfly 2 or spend a little extra on a Spyderco Delica than a Tenacious or Persistence, but that's personal preference and YMMV.
    You might also look into a brand called Byrd, which is actually a budget brand from Spyderco. Great designs and ergonomics, less-expensive materials and manufacturing, though still very good quality. That might be a way to get a bit more knife for your money. Models to look at might be Meadowlark2, Robin2, Crow2. Make sure you get a newer one in CTS-BD1 steel; the older ones had 8Cr13MOV which is fine but not as good.

The important thing is to find somewhere at which you can hold some or all of these. That way you're not purchasing something that may not work for you.

15. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco is the hands down winner for me. The Tenacious and Persistance were my first knives I bought when getting serious about knives and EDC and they still get carried every now and then even though I've got dozens of higher end blades. I also have the Cryo and I have to give that knife a big thumbs down. First off I dropped the knife from about 3 feet and it's had a rattle ever since. I've tried to track it down and even took the knife apart but it still rattles. Also I had to do some cardboard box cutting down the other night and I brought it out as my beater knife and it did ok for the first 3 or 4 cuts then it just started ripping instead of cutting. I then went and got my Tenacious and it finished the job with enough edge to keep going when I was done. I'm sure others will have different opinions but this is mine and you can take it and put it with the rest to help you make a decision.

Exwai and dplafoll like this.
  16. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Loaded Pockets

To add to what I said above I will also second what dplafoll said in regards to instead looking at the Delica. I wouldn't so much endorse the Dragonfly unless you already have a bigger sized edc blade and use it as a backup, but the Delica by Spyderco is well worth saving up another $20 and buying instead of any of the knives on your list. The Spyderco Delica would probably be the knife I would pick if I was only able to have one knife to use everyday for General edc tasks. Just food for thought but you should be able to find them for about $60 just about anywhere and they have all different colors.

Exwai likes this.
  17. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Oh, one more thing I forgot:
    One reason to NOT choose the Cryo is the assisted opening. I know a flipper is fun, and assists can be too, but that's a part that can and will break. It also can hide flaws in the manufacturing since the spring forces the knife open without relying on good tolerances and such.

18. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

I't pretty relaxed here regarding the knives. as long as it's a folder and tucked away in your bag, the establishments here will let you in. But if you're carrying a cheap looking knife or something that vaguely resembles something criminals use (shivs, ice picks or kitchen knives), then you're :censored:ed.

19. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

Lol yeah with the Tenacious. It's ok the Tenacious and the Persistence is pretty much the same. The reason I chose Persistence over the Tenacious is the size.

20. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Looking for a knife that lasts, the Kershaw is a tank. Maybe except for the torque bar, who knows. But should that break, you can always disassemble and remove.

But I think, the real question is, what you want to do with it. Slicer? Spyderco. Satisfying your gross sensory motor skills (and the sound of assisted opening)? Kershaw. Look like the man who knows (with a slightly better steel)? Drifter.

If its a "toy" (which is alright) the Kershaw would make it for me. For lighter use and better slicing (real usability) the Spyderco. The CRKT would not win me. Got a Ripple and a Hootenanny and I am not impressed.

Moshe ben David likes this.