1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help? Kershaw 1670S30V vs. Benchmade 551

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Cloak, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

I am looking to purchase my first decent steeled folder and I am have trouble deciding which one to go with. I am looking between the Blur S30V and the Griptilian. I am a big Kershaw fan and have great experience with the cheaper EDCs.

http://www.smkw.com/large/knife/KS1670S30V.jpg
    The Blur S30V is a good looking blade, and I have played with the regular Blur and it felt good in my hand, and the deployment was crisp. I can find it for $70 shipped BNIB.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/132/132861.jpg
    I like the way the 551 looks as well, and I really like axis locks. I have never held one but I have read that the scales feel cheap and hollow. I have no idea how good 154CM steel is. It looks like its the Doug Ritter RSK MK1 that comes with a stonewashed S30V, but it is above my budget. I have found the 551ORG for $76 shipped, but I am not really into the orange scales on it. The black scaled 551 is almost $90 shipped.

My question is, which knife is superior? Is the 551 really worth $20 more than the Blur? Any other suggestions? I want to keep my budget under $90 because the closer I get to $100, the more I will just want to get the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I want something less expensive but high quality before I jump in the $100+ knives.

2. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

Check out Wesson Ace Hardware. They have killer deals on BM products. The 154CM is not going to be as good of a steel as the S30V, but I would still go with the 551. Benchmade's customer service is awesome. I have handled Griptillions quite a bit and to me they don't feel cheap or hollow, however, they are a nice light edc blade. I personally have not had good luck with anything from Kershaw that I have purchased, but that is just me. Hope my $.02 helps.

Cheers,

Gadget

3. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

The Axis lock is nice..get the Benchmade & enjoy it.

4. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Interesting pair of choices there.

154CM (AKA ATS-34) is a great stainless, and the one that steels used to be measured by back in the day. While it is by no means a supersteel, it is a still a great one. Takes a keen edge, keeps it reasonably well, is easy to sharpen and had very good corrorsion resistance. S30V on the other hand is a relative newcomer, and I believe has better edge holding than 154CM, but reportedly can be more difficult to sharpen.

All else being equal, I will tend to pick s30v over 154CM, but would not avoid any knife simply because it is 154CM. But considering you are looking at two different knives, I would not consider that a case of 'being equal'. In this case, I don't think it would be fair to recommend one knife over the other simply based on the steel used, neither one will let you down.

I am personally not a big fan of the 551 (I am of Benchmade, just not the 551). Not to say there is anything wrong with it, it's just not a knife for me. There are other Benchmades that are far more appropriate for my use and style, like the 525 and the 940 (among others...) but these are considerably more money than the Grip

The Blur as well is not my favorite Kershaw. Lately my EDC Kershaws have been either a RAM flipper or my ZT 0350.

IMHO, the biggest difference between these two knives is the lock style. The BM is an Axis lock, which is fully ambidexterous but the clip is tip up only, while the Blur is a liner lock which many people find awkward to use left handed, and while the clip is reversible for either tip up or tip down carry it cannot be interchanged side to side for left handed carry. Also, the Blur is an assisted open and the Grip is not.

For me; I would favour the Kershaw for the thinner profile and tip down carry, and the BM for the overall package. I might buy the Blur, but then would get buyers remorse and take it back for the Grip...

Both the Grip and the Blur are good knives from companies with great customer service. Both knives have a great many fans and get lots of pocket time.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one, find the one the fits your hand the best, and go with that one.

To me, yes, it would be

Ooof, big question there with many answers. Would help get better recommendations if you were to provide some details about what exactly you are looking for

IMHO, stick with either Kershaw or BM and you can't go too far wrong. But lets see from knives I can speak to from experience and that would appear to be in your price range...

From Kershaw, the Ram is a nice thin and not too light non-assisted flipper with decent sized blade and quality steel for a good price, can be found for around $60. The handle and blade design make it great knife for detail work, and the flipper on this one is just plain fun.

If you like light and thin, have a look at a Leek in G-10. Another assisted open liner lock, with G10 scales, Stainless steel liners, and s30V blade.

From BM, look for a 912 (tanto) or 913 (drop point) Stryker. Recently discontinued, they can be found for about $80 and are great knives. They are assisted open like the Blur, also liner locks like the blur, but are lighter and narrower. They D2 tool steel for the blades, have Titanium liners and full G-10 scales.

Also from BM, look for an HK 14460 Nitrous Blitz. Very similar to the Stykers, but different styling. Also D2 steel with Ti liners and G10 scales. Also can be found for around the $80 mark.

I could go on, but that should get you started...

5. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i've had the lock on a blur fail on me before, turned me off of blur's. the money you save vs the benchmade might go to stitching up your fingers.

6. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Save the money and get your para2.

7. StubbornWheat

StubbornWheat Loaded Pockets

I'm going to strongly recommend the 551. The axis lock is really the selling point here. Very easy to use, ambidextrous and much stronger than the liner locks. You can also get a few different blade types and profiles, as well as the option of the thumb stud versus hole.
    The 154CM is also razor sharp (just ask my index finger).

I can see how one may think the scales are weak and hollow, but they really are not. They do have stainless steel liners for a little extra strength.

While I can't vouch for kershaw's customer service, I have used benchmade's lifesharp many times and I continue to be impressed with it.

8. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

+1

The axis lock raises the bar. Its definitely something you will get addicted to! I recommend it too!

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Though I love both BM and Kershaw, in this instance I would cast my vote for the 551.

10. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

I checked that website, but the prices were higher than what I found on Ebay. I have heard bad things about Benchmades customer service in the past, but so far it seems like everyone here is saying good things about it. I think the reason people have said the scales feel cheap is because it is not G10. Thanks for the comment!

Axis type locks are definitely a plus in my eyes :)

Wow, alot of great information here! Thank you, I will check out those other knives as well ;D

I have never heard of a liner lock failing unless the pivot was too loose, or you were trying to baton through a log.

I am going to get a Para2 regardless of what I get now. I just wanted something to transition me into the higher end knives.

Axis locks are a plus. I'm happy to hear good things about Benchmade customer service!

11. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

"I have never heard of a liner lock failing unless the pivot was too loose, or you were trying to baton through a log."

well lets be honest, the majority of people use their knives to open the mail, or for 'hard use'; those pesky vac sealed plastic packages that everyone hates, and for that i liner lock would never fail. but there's an area of use in between opening a package and batoning through a log, and thats where my lock failed. so now you HAVE heard of a liner lock failing, when the pivot wasn't loose, and it wasn't being beaten through a log.

i have a benchmade axis lock, and its alot better design than the blur's liner lock. the only negative to the benchmade is the painted clip, but email benchmade and ask them for a black oxide clip for your knife, and they'll happily send you one...for free. just my opinion, and experience, which is what the thread asked for.

12. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

Rsitter, you do have a point even though I would never use a folder for anything harder than cutting through a seat belt, I would still prefer my lock to be strong.

Thanks for all the responses, it looks like the griptilian has a lot of fans!

I have some good news :)

...I just made a deal to trade ALL of my knives for a Benchmade 15043 (bone collector)!!! I won't be complaining about the blade because it is D2 Steel, and I won't be complaining about the scales because its like 10 layers of G10!!!
    [​IMG]

Now I can buy a Blur S30V and have Both!! :D

13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I have never once heard a legitimate negative comment, nor even a neutral one, about BMs customer service. As near as I can tell they are the ones that everyone else should be measured against. I am sure there are some that are unhappy about something that happened with them, but I haven't run into any myself.

And nice Bone Collector, I am sure you will be happy with that one.

Don't bother with the Blur right now, carry and use the BC for a couple of weeks and then go back and check out the Blur again. I have a feeling that you won't like it much after carrying the BM for a while ;)

14. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

I think its mostly on Bladeforums that I have read the bad reviews on BM customer service, but I guess I will have to find out myself, because everyone here have been raving about it!

Thanks, I am really excited about the BC, because the only things I was questioning about the 551 have been resolved in the BC (g10scales and d2 steel) so I am sure I will love it!

I am going to buy the Blur anyway, I have always been a Kershaw fan and even the non-S30V Blur felt nice in the hands to me, and I really like the way that stonewashed re-curve looks <3.

I do plan on getting into the higher end knives like the Spyderco PM2, which will most likely be my first $100+ knife (besides the bonecollector of course). Then I want to start saving for the beautiful Benchmade 940.

15. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

Nice! I have that knife in solid black G10. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. What did you trade for it?

Cheers,

Gadget

16. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets

Sure hope so!

These are the knives I traded for it;

[​IMG]

17. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Now I'm curious. What exactly were you doing with it?

18. MR24927
    • In Omnia Paratus

MR24927 Loaded Pockets

i say the benchmade 551

19. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

throwing it at a tree, you know, trying to get it to stick.

i bumped the spine of it on a 2x6 accidently while working on a chicken coop, cutting tar paper or insulation or something. anyway the lock disengaged from the slight bump, with very little force. 3 times out of 10 i can open the knife and with a firm grip on the handle, take my other hand and apply maybe 10 pounds of force and the lock will disengage. i think maybe the lock doesn't engage all the way sometimes. i just use razor knives on construction projects now, they work better anyway.

20. Cloak

Cloak Loaded Pockets