1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help Guide Me on a Tablet Search

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by UsubM, Jan 12, 2013.

1. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Hey EDCers

I'm a college student and I'm in the process of selling a bunch of my books back to Amazon and, coupled with a gift cards I got over time, will have quite a bit of money in credit with them.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and an HP 14.5" laptop (coming up on 3 years old), but I've been thinking about getting something to fill the gap between them, more portable than my laptop but more capabilities that my phone. The main purpose of the device would be entertainment (surfing the internet, watching movies, not so much playing games), school notes, light school work, and personal administration (calendars, reminders, etc.).

My biggest issue is which OS to get. I love the Android platform but I'm worried that in a tablet form I'll find it a bit lacking and I'll feel like it's just an oversized phone (my phone as it is is on the large side already, and I want something that will give me a good reason to buy it). I also like the idea of the Windows 8 Pro tablets because they'll give me the most capabilities of current tablet OS's. I do not intend to get an Apple device.

What I've been looking at is:

Google Nexus 10
    http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-10-Resolution-Accelerometer/dp/B00ACVHKSC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26N2D43TZ7MSQ&coliid=IE94EZQAO7TT8

Acer Iconia W510
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-W510-1666-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B009P7JIZ2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26N2D43TZ7MSQ&coliid=I35T00JL25G38R

Microsoft Surface
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-32GB/dp/B009XNBFJK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26N2D43TZ7MSQ&coliid=I2A1WWPBTAJDLO

and the Asus Vivobook, a touchscreen enabled ultrabook/netbook
    http://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-X202E-DH31T-11-6-Inch-Touch-Laptop/dp/B009F1I1C4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=26N2D43TZ7MSQ&coliid=I3DG6UQ45L2SNK

I'd like to spend less than $600 on the device, so that rules out convertible laptops and higher-end tablets

Any thoughts on these from anyone?

2. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

With that price limit, you should factor in the price of cover and a keyboard. I don't like using the soft keyboard on my Nook Tablet if I have to do much typing.

IMightBeWrong likes this.
  3. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Since I work in Best Buy selling Computers and Tablets every day, I'll give you my opinion based in my experience.

First off, if you want a Windows 8 Tab, spend the extra money on the 64gb model. The reason there's no 16gb model out there is because the operating system itself takes up 17gb. On a 32gb model, you're left with only 15gb of storage which is going to fill up quickly on a Windows tablet. If that's the direction you want to go, spend the extra dough and get the 64 - You'll be happy you did! Also, be ready to deal with the quirks of RT. It's not the same as Windows 8 for the PC. It's still got some bugs that need to be worked out.

As for Android Tabs, the Nexus is going to have the sharpest screen of anything you'll find. It's also very lightweight, although it does feel a bit flimsy as well - almost cheap in the hands IMO. However, it's a solid performer, and as a fellow Samsung Galaxy Nexus owner and user I do love being squared away for updates! The Nexus is one of my 2 favorite Android tabs on the market right now.

The other favorite Android is the ASUS TF700. It's using a special version of the Tegra 3 processor that's running 5 cores and it has an awesome display in it's own right (although not as good as the Nexus display or iPad Retina). Blazing fast, as close as you can get to vanilla without buying a Nexus, and the whole ASUS Transformer line of devices seems to get updates very quickly as they come out as well despite not being Google devices. This also opens up the option for the Keyboard Docking Station that's going to make it a similar package to the Vivobook.

There's also the Galaxy Note 10.1", but it's lower on my list. I've found it not-so-buttery smooth in operation and I have to write half my normal writing speed to keep from confusing the tablet. It's also loaded with bloatware. The side-by-side multitasking is a cool touch, though, and that's a plus.

As for the Vivobook, the thing is friggin' cool. You can get a more powerful and capable device out of it for sure, a full version of Windows 8 and an i3. But it's really a computer and not a tablet, so you have to determine what you really want.

Lastly, I want to say that you shouldn't discount the iPad with Retina. It's virus free, the apps are safer and better built plus you have a larger selection, and the build quality is unparalleled. It's a fantastic device. Of course it's drawbacks are customization and the Flash browsers out there are less than phenomenal, but in just about every other area it really shines.

Hope it helps!

ArnieJB likes this.
  4. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that input, I think that kind of narrows down my options

The more I research these I'm leaning more towards the Nexus 10, and I'll be looking up that TF700 more, it looks like a great device as well

5. spanky77

spanky77 Loaded Pockets

I have a nexus 7 and love it, so my vote is the nexus 10 for sure. Great quality and android cant be beat.
    good luck.

6. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

Go for the nexus 10. If not for stock android, then for the display. The Nexus has more pixels on its screen than the other three devices combined!

7. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

8. Thechansen

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

I noticed that your choices are all full sized tablets. I had an iPad first gen since day one. Never brought it out of the house (used it everyday however). I was going to sell it and get an iPad 4. Instead a coworker let me play around with his ipad mini. I ended up buying that instead. The size lends itself well to EDC, because I always have mine with me now. If you are die hard anti apple I say go with the Nexus 7. If you are open to Apple seriously just go iPad mini. I have both for development and iOS still has the best tablet experience.

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Basically all Android and iOS tablets are oversized phones.

It's not a bad thing since with all the extra screen space you can view a movie without squinting, or view web pages a little easier.

There's just nothing in Android or iOS that makes it do much more on a tablet than a phone. In fact a lot of the phones and tablets have similar internals.

When my Nexus 7 starts running low on battery life, I just switch to my iPhone... or vice versa. I'm not really empowered by either unless I'm leaving my house, in which case the Nexus 7 becomes useless.

10. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

skip anything with Windows RT. I think that's a dead end in this release. The Windows license limits the use of the bundled Office goodies, prohibiting their use for business use among other silliness. And it has the most limited apps currently.

A better license and some more development and some growing up and Windows on ARM might be worthwhile, but it's not there yet IMHO. I'm also pretty bothered about the license and security loopholes MS has reserved for themselves in Win8 as well. So I can't recommend win8 tablets though they may well be what you want.

That leaves Android for now imho.

The Nexus 10 is not the Android device I'd pick. The upscaling of content for the screen means its fuzzy in lots of common use scenarios for web especially. It's too limited in ports and slots.

The Asus TF700 would be my pick for a high end Android tablet.

11. koenfm

koenfm Empty Pockets

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
    I love the size, makes it easy to handle.

It's an older model but the specs are actually much better than the newer Tab2 7.0 so don't let them fool you and look at the specs carefully.

12. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

I was gifted with a Kindle HD FIRE and i was shocked to find that unlike other media players, this lets you install any other android apps you can get the .apk for even if it isn't vended through Amazon. Not being restricted to amazon sourced apps and media lets me use the device to do work when the laptop isn't convenient.

13. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

What's selling me on the TF700 over the Nexus 10 right now is that on Amazon I can get the 64 GB model for less than the 32GB Nexus, AND it has a micro SD card slot. Just glancing over XDA it looks like it has at least a decently strong ROM community, too. I just worry that if I get it now something else might be released soon since the device is about 6-7 months old now, but I guess I'll just review whats happened at CES for that.

For people with 7" tablets, do you feel like the device allows you to do more than your phone? I just not sure if I'll be wanting something bigger than that, but that's just me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

I have a Galaxy Nexus phone and a Nexus 7, and I don't find that my Nexus 7 is just a big version of my phone. I mean, yes, technically it is (minus the actual phone/3G part). However, that is what ALL tablets are. It does not feel that way though. I have each set up very differently, and use them in different ways; it doesn't feel redundant. I'd stick with the smaller size than the bigger 10" models because the 7" is just perfect for EDC and having in class.

15. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

i have an iphone which i had loaded with many 'work producing' apps. i could work on docs and spreadsheets etc..but the screen made it intensely problematic. Since i got the kindle hd i haven't used the iphone or any work at all, except minor image editing. Since the image is taken with the phone, it is easiest to just edit and upload it from the phone. However the Kindle doesn't have connectivity of its own, so the iphone does all the work on the move (which is mostly emails and credit card processing) and the Kindle or laptop are for work within range of the internet.

16. theMingo
    • In Omnia Paratus

theMingo Loaded Pockets

I've got an older Acer Iconia A500 and its a great little tablet. Expandable SD slot for memory, plus a real USB port. Mini-HDMI out. I usually plug it into one of my house flatscreens along with a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, use it really well from the couch.

17. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I just got an iPad 16g wifi, I wish I had looked into apps before I bought it, I would have gotten a 3G version for apps like Spyglass etc...

Edit: I swapped it for a 32g, 3G Mini, couldn't be happier.

Last edited by edjo69, Feb 1, 2013