1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help finding 18650

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Ollie243, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

£60 roughly 100 USD

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Small enough to put in a back or coat pocket

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
    ____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a “host” or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a “drop-in” emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Not to fussed providing the light has good runtime on low modes

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

I don't want to have to buy twice

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I absolutely love the sunwayman magnetic ring control. Failing that I am happy with simple low med high (turbo) I am not a fan of flashing modes not to say I want my light to be without them but as long as they are not on the main cycle or easily avoided.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s flashlights).

I have looked at the following lights so far, read selfbuilts reviews and watched going gear youtube vids
    Nitecore mt26 my girlfriends dad bought this light on my recommend and while I like it I don't like how the modes cycle and it just dosnt seem to kick out the lumens expected from a 800 lumen light, plus we just bought her brother one for Christmas and I really don't fancy us all having the same!!

eagaltac d25lc2 watched the vids on this and although it looks like a great light for the money I think there are lights that will be higher in quality for not much more money. Plus they don't have the simple UI that I am after.

sunwayman v60c a lot out of my price range (especially as I just quit my job today) is this torch of realistic size to pocket carry daily? Or is it more of a throw it in a bag torch?

Snwayman v20c I was really tempted by this and very nearly pulled the trigger on it however at 438 lumens it didn't have the 500-700 I am really looking for, I know it's not all about lumens and reflector etc have a big part to play anyone got this light and also got a 700 lumen light to compare?

As you can see I have looked at a few, I just wanted your opinions and advice I have looked at others but these 4 are the ones I have looked in depth at.

Many thanks!!

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Just get a Fenix PD31, about $50 on ebay. Then there is a newer version, PD32 which has a side button as well. Get protected AW 18650s to go with a Ultrafire WF-139 charger. You'll thank me later!

3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I would prob go host build. A Dereelight or Solarforce will take custom pills in thrower heads (DBS or M3), otherwise 50 yards is easy with a standard p60.

I have a custom p60 in the mail from vinhnguyen64 at CPF, a 2.27a Cree XP-E2. He does XM-L's up to 5.9a I think but finding a "real" 1,000 lumens from him is doable.

You thinking in shorter bursts? Fit in coat or pant pocket? The Foursevens 26650 Maelstroms are pretty great too for output per hour that won't become hotter than the sun in 2 mins.

Ps: I agree its not all about lumens and reflector but those factors play a huge impact on beam performance.

Last edited by Blerv, Jan 9, 2013
  4. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Oh, just saw the size note. My DBS and Maelstrom S12 will both fit in a coat pocket (winter jacket) easily.

5. Random Dan

Random Dan Loaded Pockets

Zebralight SC600 Mk2 900lm (once it's released).

6. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

Will the Zebralight fit in the budget?

It's quite hard to name you some lights you'll probably like, because you didn't like the output of the Nitecore.
    I mean something between 500 and 700 maybe 800 lumens is quite the maximum a small light like this can produce with a hard driven or already overdriven XM-L, you may gain 15-20% more brightness by using the new XM-L2 U2 but still...........

(for example: I would rate my own Solarforce with XM-L T6 at 550 OTF-Lumens @ 2.8A, one of the Manafont drop ins is said to produce around 700 OTF-lumens @3.5A)

The difference in brightness between 800 and 1000 lumens is almost not visible, there is much more difference for the human eye between 150 and 300 lumens.

I really don't know which light or system I should recommend here, maybe something with a bigger reflector?

7. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

Certainly going to get protected cells. I have recently got a Nitecore intelligent charger so I'm set :).

Although I am not against building one myself I have VERY little knowledge of that side of lights so the first part of your post went in one ear and out the other :) I will have a look at some droppins and get my head around them. I'm not looking for anywhere near 1000 lumens just a good clean beam at between 500-700 lumens. But I would rather have a light I feel has a better beam than just throw lumens at it. If you understand.

Will check the 4sevens as well thanks!

Will have a look at the specs thanks!

It is only my opinion regarding the nitecore, it is a great torch but perhaps to throwy for what I'm after. Big reflector is possible yep.

Tbh out of all of this I keep looking at the sunwayman v20c

8. CrazyHighVoltage

CrazyHighVoltage Loaded Pockets

i would go with a solarforce p60 host and a nailbender or a vinhnguyen drop in check them out on cpf

9. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

A whole new approach, out of cusiosity:

$60 - Skyray King
    $30 - 4 quality 18650 cells
    $20 - good charger like Intellicharge i4 V2 or $10 for a good budget charger like ML-102 or ML-103

Total $$ 100-110

So what do you get for your money?

• LED: 3x Cree XM-L U2 - tint 1B cool white (neutral white available with XM-L T6 version)
    • Brightness: roughly 2000lm
    • Size:133mm(lenghth)*59mm(head diameter)*50mm(tube dianeter) - small enough to carry in a pack or coat ? I'll say yes
    • 2 modes: high - low and a hidden strobe mode
    • runtime ! - if you consider the low output around 200-300lm and you got 4x 18650 in parallel........go figure....

10. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

Skyray is a little cumbersome for EDC I think but thanks for bringing it up not one I have come across yet.

11. Changchung

Changchung Loaded Pockets

Can you point me were can I get 4 quality 18650 cells for 30$ ???

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

12. Sinus

Sinus Loaded Pockets

1. you can get unbranded Sanyo's at fasttech or fancyflashlights (protected or unprotected, it's up to your needs)
    2. you can buy Sanyo protected (& unprotected) cells from Int-outdoor sold under their very own label (this option is a few $ above 30)
    3. take a look at BLF and battery supplier 'kumabear'

I'm sure that there much more good sources for 18650 cells out there, you just need to find them.
    I have to admit that I got no idea how much the shipping to Venezuela is (shipping is free at FT, fancyflashlights and Intl-Outdoor).

And you have to stay realistic, you don't need batteries with 3100mah in a light that draws just a few amps (between 1 - 3) on high, that's the reason I use Sanyo 2600 cells.
    You can verify this easily using this comparator provided by HKL on his website

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

13. Changchung

Thanks a lot...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

14. Changchung