1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help defining a combined IFAK/Trauma Kit for a Go Bag - size optimized

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by FiaOlleDog, Jan 12, 2021.

1. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I want to "tap" the great medical knowledge and skills we have in this forum.

Recently, I was asked by a god friend to help him finalizing the "Go Bags" for his familiy. They were part of the Christmas gifts in 2020, and are stuffed with supplies for 1-3 days including water + purification, food, small cook set, tools including lightning + signaling + navigation, clothing, shelter + warmth, hygiene, electronics, PPE.

What's missing, and you may guess this from this threads subject, is a size/weight optimized medical kit.
    • Aim is to provide each Go Bag user with medical stuff (all got first aid training / refresher courses recently), to help them deal with small (blisters, cuts, diarrhea) and serious (broken bones, stabbing/shooting wounds) issues.
    • Basically, anything that would hinder them from going from point A to point B within a specific time-frame of 24 (up to a 72) hours in urban / sub-urban / outdoor environments - be it in a get home or bug out scenario.
    • It is expected to have delayed access to professional medical help after a certain time (a few hours up to 2 days); no Zombie apocalypse, sorry :D
    • Note: there is a larger medical bag carried by the family that is aimed for helping (each) other that contains the more serious stuff (to deal with airway, breathing, etc.), while this IFAK focuses on self-application.
    • Coverage of MARCH:
      • Massive Hemorrhage: yes
      • Airway: no
      • Respiratory: no
      • Circulation: yes
      • Head wound: yes
      • Heat loss: yes
    • Coverage of C-ABCDE:
      • Critical Bleeding: yes
      • Airway: no
      • Breathing: no
      • Circulation: yes
      • Disability: yes
      • Evacation: no
      • Exposure: yes
    • Note: Those protocol marked with "no" do not need to be covered by the IFAK, mostly due to the fact that some treatments (e.g. NPA) are not self-applicable or that the skill/training is missing (e.g. sutures).

The kit should enable each member to deal with the following medical challenges:
    • blisters (e.g. feet)
    • splinters (e.g. from wood or metal)
    • abrasions and scrapes (e.g. slip down a hill)
    • bruise (e.g. working with tools)
    • sprains and strains (e.g. running or jumping on uneven ground)
    • extremities fracture (e.g. fallen down some height)
    • rip fracture
    • cuts, small and medium-sized (e.g. sliced finger while preparing food or fire wood)
    • burns of first and second degree / up to 5% of the body surface = half arm or foot (e.g. fire/cooking or touching hot surfaces like motors/exhaust pipe)
    • stabbing wound (e.g. knife attack)
    • shooting wound (e.g. gun attack)
    • bites (e.g. dog or snake attack)
    • stings (e.g. mosquitos, ticks, bees, wasp)
    • corrosive injury (e.g. handling with chemicals like acids or alkali)
    • traumatic / amputation wound (e.g. serious extremities damage)
    • muscle cramps
    • exhaustion
    • headache
    • toothache
    • cerebral concussion
    • pepper-sprayed (usually face)
    • diarrhea
    • common cold
    • fever
    • wound infection
    • food poisoning
    • allergic reactions
    I'm sure I forget a ton of other possible medical treatment required injures and situations while at the same time I may have already made it impossible to have a "small" IFAK to deal with (most) of above mentioned.

Some IFAK content is obvious like band-aids and a tourniquet, while others need to be discussed - example: use gauze pads and an ace bandage instead of a trauma dressing. Would this be useful? Saved size vs. capabilities, pros/cons?

I hope you see where I'm heading to: what's really required in an IFAK?
    (One question with 1,000's of correct answers, i guess :cool: ).

Thanks for your time reading through this long text and thanks in advance for contributing your ideas & recommendations for a Go Bag size/weight optimized IFAK focusing on self-application, and why / how to use it and what limitations this (improvised) method may have.

Stay safe!

Update - content considered / covered so far:
    • moleskin (c) / comped (c)
    • tweezers
    • ace bandage OR self-adhesive bandage
    • band-aids in different sizes
    • steri strips (c)
    • burn-shield (c)
    • gauze pads
    • Israeli trauma bandage
    • chest seal
    • Tourniquet (Cat Gen 7 or SOFTT-W)
    • Ibuprofen
    • Loperamide
    • space blanket
    • trauma sheers
    • Leukoplast (c)

Please add/comment!

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jan 12, 2021
    #1 FiaOlleDog, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Instead of an Israeli Bandage, I would go with an H&H, Olaes, or just an NAR Trauma dressing. Don’t get me wrong, the Israeli is great especially T2 or T3 for capability. However, other emergency trauma dressings pack smaller and/or are easier to use, especially in a self-care situation.

If wanting to save space an emergency trauma dress dressing could potentially double as an Ace bandage.

Hemostatic gauze is a little expensive but I think it is definitely worth it because of its ability to help stop bleeding quicker

A SWAT-T tourniquet could also be a consideration. I would not use it to replace a CAT or SOF-T, but it could be used for tying splint, additional bandage wrap, sling, as well as second TQ if required.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  3. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

My current list

· 4 adhesive bandages

· 2 2-pack ibuprofen

· Imodium AD

· 2 2-pack aspirin

· ½ roll medical tape

· 4 surgical sponges 2x2

· 3 antiseptic wipes

· 4 butterfly bandages