1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help deciding on a smartphone upgrade from a Blackjack 1

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Andy Wayne, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I currently have a BJ 1, and I wanted some suggestions from you guys about what phone I should be looking at for an upgrade. I’m on AT&T, but I don’t care if it’s a network specific phone, because I guess I could get it unlocked if need be. Originally, I wanted an AT&T Tilt, but I was discouraged when I saw how large it was. Also, I checked AT&T website, and they no longer even show it there, so I wondered if it was now outdated and there was something better.

I know the iPhone is popular, but I’ve heard a lot of negative things about it, including it can’t shoot video, and trouble with being able to change the ringtones, etc. I know there’s a lot of newer phone out now, and I don’t know that much about them, so I wanted some suggestions on what y’all think would be a good choice.

I was considering the BJ 2, but I would like something even better & with a larger screen. I don’t know how well the touch screen ones work (like the Blackberry Storm), but I also have an iGo folding bluetooth keyboard I can use.

Here’s a list of the items I need the phone to have:

Large screen
    Bluetooth
    Camera – Hopefully decent quality. Camera on my BJ is pretty grainy.
    Video Camera – Also hopefully decent quality
    Internet / email
    Wifi – for faster net browsing
    .MP3 / Video player
    GPS – built into the phone would be nice, but I do have a small Bluetooth GPS I could use if it doesn’t have one built in.

That’s the top needed items I can think of right now. So, what do you guys suggest that is a good phone that would meet these requirements? Thanks! :)

2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've got a Motorola Q. I think it's essentially very similar to the BlackJack. But I'm happy with it. They tried to get me to try a touch screen, but I wanted to stay with a traditional keyboard setup and am glad that I did.

3. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I love my crackberry

Large screen - check
    Bluetooth - check
    Camera – Hopefully decent quality. Camera on my BJ is pretty grainy. - check
    Video Camera – Also hopefully decent quality?
    Internet / email - check
    Wifi – for faster net browsing - check
    .MP3 / Video player - check

4. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

You can always go with a blackberry... but rumors in the nerd-world would have me hold off until the Blackberry Niagra (=Curve+Storm... got the keyboard but its also a touchscreen) is releases and BB OS 5.0 is released.

If you can't wait... my buddy has a Fuze... and it's a pretty trick phone. It's Windows Mobile though... and while it's better than the WinMo on the Blackjack 1... it's still finicky and a pain in the rear sometimes.

5. ecfiffer

ecfiffer Empty Pockets

i hate to say it but you would be best off with an iphone. over 15000 apps for it, built in agps and a huge screen! the camera is alright, but video will be coming in firmware v3. heck im getting tempted to go to att for the iphone

and best of all its not ms based!!!!

6. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

BLACKBERRY BOLD

I had the 8525 (predecessor to the 8925 TILT) and it wasn't bad but, like you said it is a big phone. I bellieve the Fuze is the next model in the HTC/at&t/WinMo lineup. About two months ago, I upgraded to the Bold and have no regrets. Not as many Apps as the iPhone but there are still a ton and BB App World was released recently so we should start seeing more soon

MandM, from what I understand, the Niagra is not a touch screen. Its more like a Curve + Bold combination. However, you are correct in that there is a Storm + Curve device in the works. In fact, during the past few weeks, it was announced that there are a number of (rumored) devices on the way. Oh and, 5.0 OS was leaked late last night for the Bold and 8900 Curve.

:)

7. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Wait until mid-June and get the new iPhone that will be announced at WWDC. It should have everything you require and more.

8. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

There are a lot of devices out there whats good for me might be all wrong for you
    I suggest go to the stores and try out whats there first and not just AT&T see whats best in your hand like touch screen vs keyboard,screen size, weight. candy bar vs flip phone then go looking for the best price.
    jester02k

9. mastermind

mastermind Empty Pockets

Samsung Omnia.

Has everything you listed

10. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I don't know who you heard complaints from on the Iphone but it is easily my most prized edc item.

It doesn't shoot video, it only has a 2.0 MP camera but come on!

It does just about anything you need.

Has a great web browser, great apps(which a their are a a lot of free apps), I must say it's probably the easiest phone to use(easiest smartphone I should add)

I bought my Mom one(she isn't tech savvy at all!) I show her how to do something once and she knows how to do it the next time.

I could give it to my grandpa, show him something and he could figure it out no problem.

All around the best smartphone if you can get it for the cost of signing a new contract which I believe it is $200 and $300 now.

If you live in a major city then you might be able to get 3g too, I have the 3g but no 3g.

If you have any other doubts or questions about the iphone feel free to shoot me a pm or email(email in sig)

Take care Andy.
    -Matt

11. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I agree that the iPhone is a great device...

I just got mine after having a Motorola Q (Verizon) that I loved and used everyday in a very limited capacity when compared to the iPhone with the exception of one thing... tethered modem. I am a network admin and the tethered modem feature is something that I potentially use on-site to troubleshoot firewall issues and what not. The iPhone has the capability to do tethered modem, but the f*#king corksuckers at AT&T have decided to not allow it... at least for now and probably will only allow it in the future for an additional fee. ARGHH!
    If you don't need the tethered modem feature, and you are cool with only being able to use bluetooth for headsets (no other devices are usable), you should be good to go. You could get one now and jailbreak it to get all the functionality with the exception of the above mentioned shortcomings, or wait until June/July to get the new release 3.0 version that will have most (if not all) of the functions running native.

I do love the iPhone for its ease of use and slick design, as well as all the apps that are available. I got it knowing of its shortcomings and will wait and pray that these things are made available in the near future.

12. grndslm

grndslm Loaded Pockets

I'd at least wait until June before I started making smartphone decisions. Many, many new ones will be hitting the carriers in June... particularly the Palm Pre. If that doesn't seem like a good idea then (but it does now!), I'll buy an Android phone. Then it'll be the end game -- Google -vs- Apple: Sudden Death.

13. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Oops. Yep... looks like I meant the Pluto... not Niagara. (The 9900 series is the rumored touch/qwerty).

14. cbdudley

cbdudley Loaded Pockets

I would hold off until the summer. There are two new devices on the way - the Palm Pre (unfortunately Sprint only) and a new version of the iPhone (unfortunately AT&T only).

Everything I have heard about the touchscreen Blackberry models has been negative. Maybe they will get it right someday.

15. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

I would take the iPhone hands down...with the improvements in the software they have already done plus those they have announced for version 3 plus the Apps Store I don't think that there is anything else even close. It is not perfect but it is much closer to perfection than anything else out there. I would not look any any phone that runs the Windows Mobile OS....very lame.

16. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I'm loving my HTC Touch. :roof:

17. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Blackberry curve or bold. Has everything you need and it just done right. One warning, once you get use to a blackberry, it is hard to go back to anything else.

18. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Omnia.

I have owned HTCs but they always have a mechanical problem. The Samsungs seem to have superior design durability.

19. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

My iPhone recently got stolen and since there is no theft protection for an iPhone and they wanted me to pay around $500 to replace the thing I bought a BB Curve. I have only had the BB for two days now but I sure wish I had my iPhone back.
    Typing is easier with the BB but it seems that everything else is better on the iPhone. I never had any problems adding ringtones on my iPhone. You put them in iTunes and import them into the phone through there. I even edited my own from songs in my iTunes library and downloaded them to my phone.
    I agree that pictures and video are funny things to worry about with a phone. Even if the phone has them the quality isn't there.

Chad

20. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

With the blackberry all you need to do is go to a music file, select it and hit "select as ringtone"