1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help Choosing Pistol for Concealed Carry (And why do people like sigs so much?)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Cr0wb4r, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I should have qualified out of what he's looking at. A hi point is always a bad choice... But as far as major manufacturers and their main compact carry pistol offerings there's not really any that are just horrible.

masiaka, Cobra 6 Actual and moostapha like this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Chimay, that's a statement I can get behind.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual and Chimay like this.
  3. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

I am sure that it was me, I won't deny that. If you had been there and could have worked with me on the sig I would have been more than willing to give it another shot (no pun intended :) )

I was just kinda looking for a gun that worked for me, fit in the hand right, and that I could point and shoot. Honestly I need to find a few good instructors before I really know what I am doing beyond loading the gun and shooting in a safe direction. :p

4. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Nothing beats good one-on-one instruction, but there are a lot of youtube videos that can help get you on the right foot.

Travis Haley is one of my favorites. He's a military vet and now a top-tier trainer. His 100 shot venti wake up drill is good, and the video introducing it goes over a lot of the fundamentals quickly. But, in a lot of ways, it really is as simple as he makes it. The grip and stance he describes are great. The trigger control he describes is good. Etc..

Chris Sajnog has some good videos about training and mindset. He also has a book called "how to shoot like a navy seal" that a lot of people make fun of. He is a retired seal as far as I can tell, but the book boils down to "modern fundamentals work, and dry fire training is the best tool you have to really learn". I think he's right.

There are a few others that I've liked, but I can't remember their names. But, I really wish I'd watched those videos before I started shooting pistol. A few things I knew from my rifle experience. Others were new.

If you're like every other new shooter I've seen, your grip and trigger control are going to be the 2 biggest things. It's a long journey, but those 2 steps are big ones.

Also, if you are brand new...you can't make a mistake buying. Either get something used or something that holds its value well and start learning. You'll know a lot better what you want after 6 months.

Howler4 likes this.
  5. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

If you're ever in East Alabama or West Georgia, I'd be happy to go to the range with you... Or I could set you up with a pair of instructors much better than myself.

6. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Dito for Atlanta. Except my trainers are apparently really busy.

7. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll echo jjhmachine and suggest the Ruger SR9c. Ticks all your boxes; 10+1, compact, amazing trigger, not too big but not too small (double stack makes the grip nice in the hand) and for me it points naturally. It also feels more comfortable than Glocks in my hand.

jjhmachine likes this.
  8. Chicago-Spike

Chicago-Spike Loaded Pockets

Every gun and every hand and every person is different. What I may like and shoot great with, you may hate and shoot terrible with. Best thing to do is go to a gun range that rents guns you are interested in. Rent them and see which gun you do best with. Then make your decision based on YOUR findings. I carry a Shield in the summer and will carry my Sig 320 this winter

[​IMG]

Why do people love Sig so much???? Because they are great guns ;)

moshow9 and Stinson12 like this.
  9. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

Careful, I just might take you guys up on those offers. ;-)

Looked up Travis Haley, his stuff looks pretty interesting. And that book on how to shoot like a navy seal, yeah I heard of it but didn't know what to think. I have noticed a bit of a "special ops" craze going around, but if a member of this forum recommends something, I have found that it is generally worth looking into.

moostapha likes this.
  10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I haven't read all of the book, just a preview. His videos are good, though.

Unfortunately, his website reads like one big ad for his book. It undermines his credibility. Still, he's right about dry firing.

It's something we all could do more and better. It's made the biggest difference in my competitive shooting (uspsa).

Have you made any progress on choosing a pistol?

11. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

I think I am going to go with the USP Compact. It fits well in the hand and the grip is just slightly shorter than the glock 19 while still giving enough room for me to grip the whole thing (I am one of those people who has a hard time if my little finger is hanging off the end.) While I don't need the external safety I am not opposed to having one, and I did really like the single action trigger pull. Double action wasn't to bad, and at 13 rounds it has the capacity I was looking for. It was also one of the guns I shot most accurately, so I am hoping that I can improve on that at least a little, fairly quickly.

Though I am not looking forward to dropping over a grand on the gun and spare mags. If I have to I will buy brand new, but I am thinking that I will probably try to find a NIB, but used one. One that is as new as possible but at a used gun price. ;-)

Any tips for what I should watch out for in a used gun would be appreciated. From what I can gather, as long as it doesn't have rust, or any nicks or dings in the muzzle crown or the other end (loader or something like that)you should be good. I still need to learn a bit more about what I need to look for specifically in a used USP though.

12. psuminer

psuminer Empty Pockets

For what it's worth, I carry a Walther PPQ in an IWB holster if I am dressed with my shirt untucked and an FNS-C on a Galco ankle holster for when my shirts are tucked in (usually at work). The PPQ trigger is better and I am more accurate with it than the FNS-C but I think I just need some more trigger time behind the FN. Good luck with your choice!

13. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

If you like the USP Compact, I suggest you try to find a Sig Pro and a CZ P-07 at a gun store and try dry firing them. Price tags for each run about half that of the USP Compact for similar DA/SA operation and controls in similarly sized, polymer framed pistols. (If you can't find them, I'm sure the USP would be a good choice. I just think you'll be better off by buying a lower priced -but still high quality- gun and putting the cash saved into ammo. And if you want a USP Compact because they're cool and you've always wanted an H&K, there's probably no pistol that you'd be as satisfied with and the extra cost is necessary. That's how I was when I bought my Springfield 1911 instead of a cheaper Rock Island.)

As for buying used, check for all that you mentioned and also try cycling the action by hand to feel for burs, rough spots, binding, and other interference. Pull the trigger a few times to make sure that there isn't a metal filing that could work its way into the trigger mechanism or some other issue.

moostapha likes this.
  14. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

USP compacts have regular mags and finger grip mags if you like a bit longer grip.

You won't be disappointed after you recover from the sticker shock [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rubber grip is a Hogue grip that was hella hard to get on but it helps.

Love love love the USP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Man, those things are pretty.

16. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

It seems like everyone that carries goes through a few phases.

1. They get a pistol that every one says is great. Glock 19
    Or S&W compact. They then buy a half dozen holsters until they find one they like. People tell them an extra mag is a must so out one in the other pocket.

They then are pretty good for awhile. But there's alway a trip for petrol or milk. They carry

...less
    .. And less

So they go to the other end of the spectrum. They get a LCP or similar. They get a few holsters and find up pocket carrying. They carry a lot more but fret about the lower power rounds and lower capacity. Hard to shoot as well

So....

They get a small compact something like the Kahr CM9, Shield or the glock 43.

6-10 rounds easiesr to carry than the glock 19 size in one of the half dozen holsters you get.

In the final phase you have one you can live with. For some it's a revolver others the smaller semi autos.

It seems everyone I know has traveled this same road. I have two I carry either my Kahr cm9 or my shield in 40.

Why these two ?
    The shield
    Has a safety and I like to carry in my smart carry holster I worry about the lack of trigger protection. I sometimes carry it appendix or strong side IWB as well

The other point is during the last ammo scare I could get 40 but not 9 mm

The Kahr is the lightest accurate and reliable 9mm.
    I carry it rear pocket or appendix

J_C and moshow9 like this.
  17. Cr0wb4r

Cr0wb4r Loaded Pockets

In the off chance that I do go through a similar phase (and I probably will) fortunately I will probably be able to skip the second one since I already know I like the M&P Shield, and that it would probably be my choice for deep concealment. It fits my hand well and I have heard almost only good things about it. Part of the reason for my criteria in the first post was because I wanted my first gun to be one I could conceal, but that I could take to different training classes and still use.

I hadn't considered getting the shield in .40, but after reading your post, I just might do that.

18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I went through the opposite. I started crying a tiny pocket gun, wasn't happy, and went full sized.

I still carry it over the mid size gun that I traded the tiny one for later. But, in weird. I think it's perfectly comfortable and concealable enough for my lifestyle. I also home carry it, so there's no chance for "I'll only be gone a minute...".

The only reason I'd go back to something tiny would be to wear a smartcarry and a mic trigger guard cover while I'm sleeping. Maybe a different mid compact, but still a double stack.

HappyPuppy likes this.
  19. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cr0wb4r for what its worth, if money was no object I'd have a USP Compact as well. Incredible guns!

moostapha and Dorian like this.
  20. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

For something similar in size to the G19 I would look in to:
    • Kriss Sphinx SDP Compact
    • Sig P320 / P229
    • FNH FNS-9 Compact
    In a smaller size:
    • Glock G26
    • Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    • CZ 2075 RAMI
    • Sig P224