1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help choosing a "main" carry light in Ti

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by BladeCommander, Sep 28, 2017.

1. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

After getting the "gear" bug some time ago I went through the phase of getting things that looked cool and fun to determine what I like: knives, lights, pens, key chain tools. After getting different types of gear I have settled into what I carry often and what I use. I found that I like having a flashlight, but don't use a pen very much.

I am looking for a "nice" edc style light to be my "main" carry light when not at work. I like the AA form factor the most, along with AAA for work. For this next light I want a more expensive AA light in Titanium or a 18650 light for recharge and high output also in Titanium. I have all but decided on the Sunwayman M25C Ti, but I wanted to come here in case I am missing a hidden gem in this category for the price.

How is the quality of the Sunwayman or Jetbeam boutique lights?

Help:
    Sunwayman M25C Ti currently in stock and current front runner due to looks, pocket clip, and battery.
    Sunwayman V11R or M11R Ti series, need more info on price, availability and configurations.
    Eagletac Ti AA? seems popular
    Jetbeam Ti?
    Klarus Mi7 Ti? seen on GoingGear, now out of stock.
    other options considered.

Out of the running
    Olight Baton Ti
    Sunwayman Thrones
    FourSeven Paladin Ti
    anything over $160
    Thrunite T10T (have)

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    Online/USA

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    $60-$150

4) Format:
    [ ] I want a flashlight.

Length:
    [ ] 3-4.5 inches. (Pocket carry)

Width:
    [ ] I prefer a long narrow light (relatively).

PART D
    Weight:
    [ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
    [ ] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    Single AA or 18650 only.
    AA's for the form factor and availability of different battery types
    18650 for output, runtime, and recharge.
    not interested in cr123's at this time unless there is some exceptionally awesome light (V11R?)

7) How much light do you want?
    250-1000 max lumens (battery dependent) with multiple modes.

8) Throw vs Flood:
    EDC Balance of Flood & Throw, not a deal breaker, but I don't want a dedicated thrower or flood.

10) Durability.
    I want a quality light that won't break when dropped.

11) Switch Type:
    I like rear clicky switch and open to rotatory types, no "twist on"

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] I want multiple light levels (2-4). Special modes not needed.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? I
    Titanium Material Required

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
    [ ] Waterproof – how deep: IXP8
    Pocket Clip

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a V11r but in aluminum and I really like it,once you have used the variable output ring it is tough to return to any interface without it and still be satisfied!
    Mine is a Neutral Tint and did come with the AA tube and I have never used it without an AA.
    I am also under the impression that these are long since discontinued though too?

I have a Jetbeam Pro Ti with the Death Bezel and aside from the stupid interface really like the light a lot.
    The interface is so bad that I thought the light did not work until I figured it out.If you use just this light that might be OK but since I carry a lot of different lights I am not eager to carry one that I can not just make turn on without having to read to remember how?
    My issue with this is about the lockout feature and getting it turned on and off from there,not an uncommon complaint for this light either.
    Mine is a 123 light too.

I have an ET D25A and D25C too and these are just great in almost every way really but again once you have used the control ring it could be hard to get any clicky interface and be happy with it.
    Just more options with the ring but the levels in the D25 series are really usable for me and mine have been reliable as well.

I have to mention that Ti is not a good conductor of heat compared to Aluminum or Steel and I love a Ti light but they can get pretty hot very quickly too!

I EDC Zebralights for the record and in every way aside from the control ring prefer them to everything else since getting them.
    SC52w is my standard and in pocket 24/7 but I also carry a Jetbeam Jet1-MK in watch pocket always which is a crazy great $13 light too!

Then I have a Skinth pouch on my belt with a D25A AND T10 when working too.

Isn't this fun!

3. BladeCommander

Thank you for the recommendations. I hear the praises of the Eagletac and Zebralight often. I have yet to try either, so I may want to look into those closer. Some of the Zebralights look quite nice.

The heat is not a big factor for me. I don't usually use my lights for a long period of time, and if I do it will be an intermediate mode, not turbo. I just don't like how aluminum lights wear over time, despite their advantages in weight, heat, and cost.

4. BladeCommander

I guess I will find out for myself how the Sunwayman M25C fits my needs. Should be delivered today.

The size is the only thing that gives me pause. The looks, battery, and output are all what I have been looking for. I have really liked my Thrunite T10T for casual carry, so I hope the size increase to 18650 isn't more than I can stand. The performance increase should be well worth it with 4x the output.

5. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I have an Eagletac D25A Ti. It's my main worklight that rides beside my Spirit at work.

Positives:
    -The nichia 219b has the best tint of any light I own. It perfectly neutral, looks great.
    -Good combination of flood/throw.
    -Recessed tail switch feels good and doesn't accidentally activate.

Negatives:
    -The biggest for me is the modes/ UI. With the head tightened it comes on in turbo, 1 click to strobe. Loosend it comes on in low, to med, to high. With no mode memory. Neither of these settings are ideal for me. I'd rather have something that comes in in med and has memory. It's confusing for other people too when I let them use it and they ask why it's so dim (or so bright :p)

-Fit and finish isn't as nice as the Sunwaymans or Olights I own. This doesn't bother me since it's a beater thats already completely scratched up from riding next to a Spirit.

-Reliability is an issue. I've had times when it wouldn't turn on even through the battery had plenty of charge. Heat is also an issue- if you leave it on high or turbo for more then 2 or 3 minutes it overheats and shuts down for a few minutes. Can be a really big inconvenience.

Overall a 6/10 from me.

I like the size, it feels good in the hand, the Nichia is great, but reliability/UI hurts it.

I see you already bought the Sunwayman M25C but hopefully this will help you or someone else in the future.

6. BladeCommander

The Eagletac's were high on my list, but I was leaning hard toward the 18650 battery for output.

Now that the Sunwayman has arrived, I understand why the size gives many pause on the 18650 form factor. The length is no problem for me, but the diameter is much more than I am used to carrying. I have been carrying it for a few days in the back pocket as both of my front pockets are usually full. The back pocket carry is working so far even with the large diameter. I do not think I could carry this light in a front pocket comfortably.

The light is really awesome on first impression. The rotary controls are nice and the outputs are well spaced in my opinion. Maybe a moonlight mode would have been nice... The machining is very well done and the light looks amazing. Beam has good throw with modest spill. I'm not a tint guy, but it looks pretty neutral, at least it has nice color to me and doesn't seem too cool.

So far I am exceedingly pleased with my purchase and I should get used to the back pocket carry. I want to make this light part of my core gear and I wanted a powerful and versatile option that looks classy, or even a touch flashy.

As always I am still interested in other Ti lights available in AA, so if there are any nice ones I missed please let me know.

7. BladeCommander

Update after buying the Sunwayman M25C Ti.

The light carries well for a larger light. It is a thicker than I am used to, but I enjoy carrying this light. The outputs are spaced well and I never long for more output. I have not run the first charge out of the batter yet, as I do not use my lights every day, but if the output claims by Sunwayman hold true, it should last weeks on a single charge for my uses.

The beam has good throw, which is nice for the outdoors. A lower low-mode would be great, but 30 lumens is a good compromise for indoor and outdoor uses. Indoor, the 30 lumens is more than necessary. The 200 lumen is my most used mode, as I don't find myself needing much more than that regularly. This is fine by me, as I get vastly superior run times at 200 lumens compared to AA lights. Bump it up to 550 lumens to see down the street when walking at night, or scan a treeline, or light up a parking lot.

Note for others who haven't tried the 18650 batter type, 1000 lumens is only marginally brighter than 550 lumens. The turbo mode on this light is somewhat disappointing when changing to from 550 to 1000 lumens and back. The run time is the real winner for the 18650's over output, as past 500 lumens, the brightness return for more lumens starts to diminish rapidly. But 90 min at 550 lumen is a nice feature. 1000 lumens only needed if you need a little extra distance when seeing outdoors.

No photos as I have not found another photo host that I like. Sorry.

8. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Beagle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

I just got a bead blaster SMini Ti. The neutral white is perfect and the beam on mine is slightly tighter than the S1R I have.

So much power and great tint in a small package. I can’t wait to burn the LED out on this thing.

10. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Looks like Ti boss is in the works based on their IG....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Danny Baker

Danny Baker Loaded Pockets

Quick primer on throw, spill, tint would be GREATLY appreciated as I’ve only looked for turbo blasters in the past for defensive purposes. Thank you in advance.

12. BladeCommander

After having the Sunwayman for approaching a year now, I can say I still enjoy the light very much. I can carry it in a front pocket comfortably and the control ring has broke in nicely. Unfortunately it has not been my dedicated EDC light over this time. It is quite wide in the pocket, which is the primary reason. It is still carried occasionally, and now after visiting EDC forums again, I have renewed interest in carrying it more.

I currently reach for single AAA's during work since I work a desk. Small AAA lights are good for occasional use around the office. FourSevens Preon 1 Copper is the current favorite. On the weekends I really like carrying the Thrunite T10T for size and output, which now has me looking at a more flashy single AA, again leaning toward Eagletac D25A Ti.

I do not have any EDC oriented CR123 lights, only a Streamlight ProTac2L which has much more throw than I typically need. The 2x CR123 size is not overly long for me. But single CR123's appear to dominate the EDC market with that battery.