1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help choosing a Knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Keith027, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Keith027

Keith027 Empty Pockets

I'm looking for an edc knife with these qualities. Sorry if I seem picky but I just would like to see at least most of these things in the knife. I would look myself but I'm not sure where exactly to look. But anyways,

Straight edge/ plain edge

Durable knife construction

Durable pocket clip, might consider no clip

Folder

Blade over 3"

Closed, no more than 4 1/2" long

No lockbacks, liner or framelock preferably

Metal frame of pillar construction

No plastic handles please

And a little note to everyone, I have looked at spyderco, and they do make quality knives, but I just don't quite like the look. The knife I get will most definitely be an edc so I want something that's visually pleasing to me as well. I'll take all suggestions but I will also research a little about the knives to know whether I like the style. Please don't take offense to this, I just want to like what I'm going to get.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  2. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Leek maybe?

docer likes this.
  3. Geary Mitchell
    • In Omnia Paratus

Geary Mitchell Loaded Pockets

Chris Reeves Sebenza..

docer, Octane957 and ChrisvK like this.
  4. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

That might limit you. If you could make do with a frame lock, I would Suggest a Kershaw Cryo 2, I would also check out the Tenacious line by Spyderco.
    EDIT: Forgot you didn't like the look of Spydies :p

5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Out of curiosity Keith, do you have a price range you are looking to stay in? Should help us narrow down the field some.

6. Keith027

Keith027 Empty Pockets

Under a hundred. Im looking for something thats going to last me awhile, but not cost a fortune.

7. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

Rat 2, ESEE Zancudo, Kershaw Cryo or Cryo II, Buck Slimline 721, Buck Alpha if you can catch a good price (just based off what I have meeting your requirements). If you expand your price range to around 200 I have other suggestions.

8. Jramirez9083

Jramirez9083 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the kershaw cryo II. Blade is a little over 3" and no plastic whatsoever. A bit on the heavy side though

RoadWizard likes this.
  9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Given your requirements, I would have to suggest the Kershaw Blur in S30V. You can down right abuse this knife and it will stay sharp longer than most other steels in the price range ($70ish USD). It meets all of your requirements and it's assisted opening (not sure if that's an issue, you did not mention it). My only complaint about this knife is that the little finger standoffs can be sharp in a tight pocket, I rounded the one I had off a little with a rubber stone, problem solved. This is one knife that I regret giving away, even though it was for a good cause. ;)

[​IMG]

z0mbiSl4y3r likes this.
  10. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Shallot. I'm on my second one. And the first lasted a long time of hard use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

Really curious here. Why no lock backs? Some lock back designs, e.g., Cold Steel and Spyderco, are very strong. I understand personal preference or past experiences though. Im looking at the Benchmade Griptillian for my next purchase. Its got an AXIS lock not frame, but its tough and can be had for less $100

12. jimmiewalker

jimmiewalker Loaded Pockets

Let's do the Kershaw Blur S30V.
    Or take a look at the ZT lineup, i really like the ZT 0566 , 0350 , 0560 , 0200...

about the weight ok the knife? Budget?

Bye

13. mile60

mile60 Loaded Pockets

Maybe you can hunt down a Benchmade 710 for a $100 or so. Good blade shape, plus the AXIS lock works great, as NOT-A-FAN just said.

14. Keith027

Keith027 Empty Pockets

I've had bad experiences with lockbacks. One lockback i had got to the point that i didn't have to press the button to fold it. i just don't want to cut my fingers off if i'm not as careful as i usually am, or better yet have someone else cut theirs off because they aren't careful. I guess so long as the lock is durable and i know it won't fail, I could make do.

15. Keith027

Keith027 Empty Pockets

So as it stands i have narrowed it down to four possibilities. Don't take offense if i didn't choose yours, i just didn't like something about it.

So, i have the Kershaw Blur S30V, the only thing i dont like about it is the trac-tec inserts. As you mentioned, a rubber stone works well to sand them off a bit, i have also read that i could use sandpaper.

I have the Kershaw Shallot, i still need to do a bit more research on it, but it looks durable.

Did a little bit of looking, found the CRKT Moxie, good knife from what i found, wondered what you thought of it?

And i might seem a bit like a hypocrite saying this, but the Spyderco Tenacious. this has been recommended to me multiple times (Gravy) and seems like a solid knife.

Tell me what you think of my choices thus far?

16. Kiwi_Digger

Kiwi_Digger Loaded Pockets

for 150 you could get a spyderco Gayle Bradley, great tough knife and m4 steel

17. Elduka

Elduka Loaded Pockets

+1

18. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I would suggest that you take a look at the Benchmade (Harley Davidson) 13740. You can do a search on the knife and find Youtube videos as well as information on Benchmade's web site. It originally was the Benchmade 10700 Nagara, one of their "Red Line" knives. Both have been discontinued, but I managed to find one at Knifeworks, and they are still listed on Knifeworks' website for $42.95 plus shipping.

It does seem to meet all of your stated criterion as it is a manually opened - thumb studs, but very quick to flip open - and a very handsome blade - acutely pointed, very sharp, polished 9CR13 stainless @ 3.25" x 0.12", blue titanium scales, pillar construction, closed length of 4.25" x 0.40" thick. Its lock is Benchmade's proprietary "Nac Loc" which is a sort of liner lock that engages at the top of the blade and is disengaged by a button on the face the left side of the knife near the pivot. The knife has an encased lanyard hole/tube that is very small - perhaps 1/8". It has a polished stainless clip mounted on the right side of the frame, tip-up only. Not a particularly deep carry, but it's so pretty that I carry mine in a leather pocket sheath. I would call it a "gentleman's folder", though I have no doubt that it is sufficiently robust to do a great deal more than trimming the ends of your cigars. But the point is probably too delicate to pry anything greater than a standard office staple. It does have "Harley Davidson" printed on the left side of the blade, but I'm told that it can be removed with some sort of paint stripper.

Good luck with your search.

19. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Great eastern makes some fine knives take a look at a Ben Hogan. No clips through .
    Jake