1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help changing blade type

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Darth_Revan, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Loaded Pockets

Hi, i have a AKC mini concord otf knife and i don't like the drop point blade so much. I would like to change it to a straightback but i dont know the best way to do it.
    I know everybody will tell me to leave this to a professional, but i don't know any and I believe it will be hard to find here in my country and probably will cost too much.

My idea is getting another blade and changing it to fit the knife. The thing is, i only have a 750 W driller with some grinding bits. How much can i change in a blade?

This is a picture of the original knife

[​IMG]

I'm planing to use my boker mini kalashnikov and grind it to fit my otf. Here's a picture of the boker
    [​IMG]

You think it is possible?

2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

No

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

3. Darth_Revan

I'll have to ask you to be more specific. No, i can't do it with a driller? No, i can't use the boker, need a bigger blade?

4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I think you'd be better off building a new blade from scratch than trying to adapt one. I've had a number of OTFs apart, and trying to reshape a hardened blade to fit the mechanism would not be easy even with a full machine shop. Trying to do so with a few basic tools would be an exercise in frustration.

5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

An OTF has a much different locking mechanism than a liner lock (or any other) knife.
    To grind the cut-outs for the lock you need tools to work on hardened steel and you must keep the blade cold to prevent you from ruining the heat treatment.
    Well, while I was writing @Yablanowitz pointed at the same direction, the only real chance would be to get a piece of steel, shape it into the right proportions, send it for heat treatment (you don't want to do that on stainless steel), sharpen and re-assemble it.

Easier and cheaper to look for an OTF you like in the first place.

6. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Different blade stock
    Hardened and possibility of annealing
    Completely different lock shape
    Lack of tools and machinery
    Lack of experience

7. Darth_Revan

Well, i know exactly how the otf lock system works and it is not a problem. My idea was just grind/file one side of thr knife till it's thin enough to fit the otf handle and make a hole to put the pin that stops the blade from flying.

My major concern is if it's easy to "eat" the metal with a rotatory machine and which side should i try, thr bevel or spine...

A.B. likes this.
  8. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Agreed

9. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I must join the nay-sayer crowd, this project will be nearly impossible to satisfactorily accomplish with the tools at hand.

A rotary tool is the last thing you would want to use to thin out a blank, there is a reason knife makers spend hundreds of dollars on dedicated surface grinders - to keep the surface flat. A hand held rotary would only provide wavy gouges and valleys.

Any cutouts or modifications to the tang for the locking/opening mechanism will not be accomplished successfully with a stone type bit, carbide milling bits will be required to achieve any level of precision - but only if properly chucked up in a Milling machine. With proper work holding fixtures, proper alignment and precision may also be possible in a lathe.

You are of course welcome to attempt this work with the tools on hand, and I will offer a heartfelt and very sincere congratulations if you succeed, but think about this:

I have been a knife hobbyist (build my first fixed blade over 20 years ago) and a garage machist, I have spent several thousands of $ of tools and tooling, have a workshop set up with disc grinders, square wheel grinders, industrial drill press modified for milling work, a micro lathe in the final steps of being configured - and I would not undertake the task you are considering.

My opinion is that you would be far better off buying a new knife in the style and configuration you want.

10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

As much as I wanted to keep my mouth shut. If you, @OP, defend your project and insist on doing so, proceed.

[​IMG]

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. Darth_Revan

Ok, now that I opened both knifes to see the blades better I see that the boker is too small to replace the otf blade. I think my best choice is indeed find some blade that's already in the shape size I want and try to adapt it to the otf handle. I made a plastic model that will help me find the ideal blade. If I succed on this, I'll post some photos.

Lightnig likes this.
  12. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a better plan, keep us posted

13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Get a grinder with a sandpaper wheel. Trust me it's easy. Just do it slowly

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I'd really like to see the outcome of this, especially with the "advice" in the post before.

Maybe a making of kind of article would be interesting, I at least wouldn't try such a thing, better to buy the otf I like in the first place.

15. Darth_Revan

Ok, I managed to find a blade that's close to what I wanted. It was serrated and low quality but it will do for now. I grinded with the sandpaper wheel and know it has the exact shape I want. It fits the handle nicely.
    The thing is, I need to make two hole in the blade. One to put a nail or something for the spring to pull when retracting ( doesn't have to be a hole, maybe if i can just stick something in the blade that won't come off easily..) and the other to the lock to keep it in place when already fully retracted.

Now, my problem is drilling this motherf***er. It's a cheap blade and it is hard as hell. Couldn't make it with the driller and the metal HSS bit. After a long time only made a little hole, but not enough to reach all the way. I just don't know how to make a whole in this steel.

16. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

DeWalt and Irwin make cobalt drill bits for drilling hardened steel. I've bought them at my local Ace Hardware store and used them to enlarge pivot holes in SAK tangs and pin holes in springs. Buy several, because without a drill press you'll probably break a few.

17. Darth_Revan

Ok, just posting to say that i knida made it. At first I used a thin blade of very poor quality. It worked, but it was too thin and the blade play was just unnaceptable. So I proceded to try with another knife blade.I took it from my butterfly knife. I used my driller with a stone bit (don't know the exact name in english) to grind it slowly. I managed to grind it enough to fit the handle, cuted it a bit on the side of the blade so the lock would go in. Now I just have to sharp it a bit. As I grinded it slowly it know has less blade play than the original knife.

I might post some pictures of the result if you guys want. But I didn't minded to polish the blade to make it beatiful yet.. Just saying.

18. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I'd like to see your finished product. Not sure why you didn't just grind down the spine of the original blade. Did I miss that somewhere in the thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Darth_Revan

I tried with another knife (i have 3 of them) but it didn't went well. The blade ended too small. And i couldn't makebthe shape very well. I was trying to make it a clip point. Also, with this new blade i habe the same blade width (while grinding the original would reduce it) and got some milimeters in length. I'll post results as soon as i can.