1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nightraker, Jul 10, 2013.

1. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

Then I'm guessing the rest of your load out is in coyote to match.:)

2. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

There is a Lunada under there somewhere. Suffer no molle to show its face.

I like that bag, but I became convinced that it just wasn't well organized. A newbie TSA lady became quite disconcerted when their sniffer squawked and was supposed to inspect every compartment. :bounce: Then I got a hankering for...

Last edited by nightraker, Jul 11, 2013
  3. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

The Mongo. Oh, the Mongo. My purpose for an EDC bag is to carry (at least in these cases) an ASUS 1000H netbook, a camera or two and various useful urban survival items. Enter the Mongo:

[​IMG]

4. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

That sucker is heavy, and I discovered I'm no fan of the flap. The smart man would lighten the load, but noooooo. Like any good EDC forum dude, I looked for a new bag, of course. I dragged Mr. Mongo around for the better part of a year before settling on a quite cute and easy to manage eBags black nylon lunch box. Properly kitted out with a Maxp. Fatty and the much lighter Samsung Galaxy 2 mini tablet (instead of the netbook), camera, radio, yadda, yadda, it wasn't too bad at all.

But I wasn't happy. I felt it was just a bit too purse-like, silly me. Or maybe the fit just grabbed me again. I tried the Tumi Alpha Bravo Buckley Daybag but it was too small. I tried the Blackhawk Handbag and came to the same conclusion before even walking out the door. Now, this was getting just plain $$$$illy. I considered the Condor Battle Bag, the Blackhawk Enhanced Battle Bag, even the LAPG molle thing but did not yeild to the temptation to order any of 'em. All worthy, if a bit scattered at price points.

I HAD ordered a Kifaru Organizer pouch for the Blackhawk Handbag fiasco, but you know about their lead times. Actually, it is supposed to ship ...tomorrow. I suffered, o just suffered with the Fatty in the meantime with visions of load-outs dancing in my head. I came across the Maratac Ipad pouch and became intrigued. Only 12x9x2 and molle'd on both sides, I could add a few, just a very few, pouches to it and come to an easy to organize, easy to access business looking bag.

Whipping out my memorized debit card, I found a stocking vendor for the Maratac. Maxpedition vertical 5x7's, a couple of 5.11 magazine pouches and the Hazard4 flip water pouch would complete the ensemble whenever Kifaru deigned to come through. And thus is born.....wait for it....FRANKENBAG Mark 1:

[​IMG]

5. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! (From not too far down the road from you - Northern IL).

6. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

Now that should end the story. Angels singing hosana's, me riding into the sunset with FRANK bumping my backside and some appropriate organ music. Not so fast, Bubba!

Truthfully, the Maratac being intended to carry JUST a tablet and not much else is still too small for my purposes. I have a Cocoon Grid-it for power and cord accessories in there along with the Samsung mini tablet. That just about fills it, with no extra room for whatever the day requires I schlep around. <sigh!> And the reviewers were right, the Hazard4 flip water pouch is a bit odd carrying ONLY nalgene sized bottles instead of my preferred taller Thermoses. (Thermosi?) I selected it over the Maxp. water pouch to minimize visible molle straps and to eliminate the reviewer's complaints about the Maxp.'s zipper. I know better to make a selection for reasons of style over function. The Hazard4 is a quality piece though just not suited for my use.

I bolted on (OK, molle'd) a Maratac Diplomat pouch that I already had to substitute for the much anticipated Kifaru Organizer and was generally happy with the overall effect. Back at the drawing board, I reviewed my options, reconsidered my choices and read some more EDCF. In the end, I popped for SpecterGear's Modular Bail Out Bag http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=670. I reflected that I could have, in the first place, gone for the much bigger briefbags from 5.11 or Maxpedition or even jumped up at the sexy EMDOM TNT or the discreet messenger from ITS.

With the as yet unarrived SpecterGear as the new base bag, and the when the Kifaru finally comes to finish the exterior modules , the whole package is about 2/3 or 3/4's of the volume of my Mongo loadout and there is no messenger flap. The pouches are big enough to have easy to remember themes for their contents unlike my trusty Lunada. Stay tuned for FRANKENBAG, the sequel and a loadout display.

Last edited by nightraker, Jul 12, 2013
  7. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

Thanks! I escaped NI quite some time ago. Illinois is a great place if someone would just give the state capitol and Chicago City Hall to someone else!:p

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  8. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Nope, pure black. The problem with the EDC mentality is that after buying something FDE, I will need a full EDC in FDE.

9. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

It does make for pretty pictures here in the forum. I default to black myself when there is a choice. Makes it hard to see into the corners, tho!:D

10. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Amen Brother! Sing another verse! :D

11. Grinch

Grinch Banned

welcome to the forum and nice collection of EDC STUFF

12. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

The mailman is such a good guy, bringing goodies even on Saturday.

[​IMG]

A Keyper, Whia precision screwdriver, some bit sets (in candy tin) and (whoo whoo!) Skinth 2XL already packed:

[​IMG]

L to R: Fenix AA flashlight, Space Pen, LM bits, LM extension, LM Charge Ti, Bokker mini-pry.

[​IMG]

The O-so-flattering waistline self-portrait. Skinth, keys, Zippo.

I was very fortunate to receive an on-the-shelf Skinth 2XL because some unfortunate soul changed his mind. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Saturday. Eric even accomodated my unorthodox payment requirements. Thanks Metro!

Last edited by nightraker, Jul 13, 2013
  13. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

Welcome! Nice Gear!

14. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Hi Nightraker, Welcome :D
    Great gear and pictures :cool:

15. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

Thank you 6_String, jph0200!

Friday Follies, including "shoot me" vest, no charge for caffeine induced blur:

[​IMG]

Mostly sharps:

[​IMG]

Zero Tolerance 0560
    Skinth (see above post)
    Gerber SuperKnife
    Casio GShock
    SAK Explorer Black w Tec Accessories Clip
    Samsung USB adapter for Tablet + SanDisk 16 GB USB Key
    Fenix AA Flashlight
    Zippo
    Handcuff key screws into Uzi Tactical Pen

[​IMG]

Last edited by nightraker, Jul 22, 2013
  16. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

No Frequent Flyer miles for me! Pocket ...and belt dump today:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Just the sharps, and my new toy, the Sunwayman V10R pocket flame thrower. Good thing light doesn't burn!:D

[​IMG]

Y'know, these all have their places and there isn't anything like a juicy steak or a NCIS re-run without the ZT 0560 around, but the Gerber SuperKnife with its' replaceable blade is the go to knife for boxes and opening new EDC goodies. 2 cents worth.

[​IMG]

The SAKPlumber will note that my ZT560 has the spanish style blade error. :p

Arch Ronin likes this.
  17. Arch Ronin

Arch Ronin Loaded Pockets

Man that is some pretty gear.

18. nightraker

nightraker Empty Pockets

Why, thank you sir. I think the engine turned table top gets 1/2 the credit.;)