1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scjb, Jan 13, 2012.

1. scjb

scjb Empty Pockets

Hi. Long time lurker here, who got round to joining a couple of months ago, and is now starting to post. Love the whole EDC concept, and also (sort of) enjoy trying to make it fit in with the crass UK laws.

EDC is a no-name 120-lumen dual-123 torch, a Byrd Wings Slipit and a standard Sharpie. Still trying to find a UK street legal multitool I like. I'm a longtime user of the Gerber 600-series, and may end up just taking the blades off of one of them to comply. I'm aware of the SOGs and being able to swap out tools, but I like my Gerbers! Come on Gerber, make us a full-size multitool without anything sharp or pointy!

Only other EDC-ish kit is my work grab-bag toolie, which doesn't go everywhere with me, but is set-up to let me drop everything, get on the road and let me perform at the other end. Currently based around a Maxpedition Sitka containing, amongst other things: a Maxp FR-1 (as a toolkit); a Maxp Janus (for my pack torch and spare batteries, bit overkill!) and an old Fox fishing pack (for a FAK). Have a Maxp Bottle Carrier strapped to the side which has a JetBoil Flash with a brew-kit and some Cup-A-Soups. 1 litre Volvic bottle in the Nalgene pouch (hey, I'm cheap!).

I am seriously considering swapping to a 5.11 Covrt. Love the Sitka, and will probably keep it as a camping grab-bag, but it just gets too many looks for daily carry. I'm shy!

As a shooting sportsman, I look on with envy at the majority of the firearms sub-forum! I've never fired a shot in anger, just paper-punching for me, but would be great to be able to shoot pistol disciplines here again.
    :sigh:

OK, off to find me a picture-hosting site so I can upload!

2. Eciton

Eciton Loaded Pockets

Welcome! Sounds like you're already pretty well kitted out :). Looking forward to seeing your pics.

I'm a SOG PPP carrier myself, but you could take a look at the Leatherman Juice series (I have an S2, and it's only missing a file) or Leatherman Knifeless Fuse for something UK legal.

3. Dusty

Dusty Loaded Pockets

You'd need to be extremely unlucky to fall foul of the law for carrying a multi tool. Remember, locking blades ARE legal, as long as you have good cause to carry one :)

Welcome to this forum, I'm in N. Ireland and there are a fair few other UK folk here too.

4. Moxnil

Moxnil Loaded Pockets

Hello, and welcome from another UK EDCer. I know how you feel, our laws on what we can carry are very restrictive. But until someone makes some changes (a good start would be overruling the decision in Harris V DPP), we have to put up with the laws we have. I would recommend a Leatherman Juice to you, it can be EDCed without "reasonable excuse".

Another thing to consider is that you are allowed lock knives, or knives over the 3" limit if you can give a good reason. A police officer has discretion if they find you in possession of a locking blade, they don't have to arrest you. I've spoken with some British officers who themselves carry a multitool with a locking blade, and they said it all comes down to the circumstances in which you are searched, your explanation, and the officer. Obviously if you live in an area where knife crime is high, then you should stick to the 3" non locking knives. But in your case, if you were to be stopped and found in possession of a multitool with a 3" locking blade, I don't think you would be arrested unless you were doing anything that made the officer think you intended to use it as a weapon. It's the people with kitchen knives in their trousers that are going to be arrested because they obviously aren't going to be able to give a reasonable excuse. If you explain that you carry a multitool as a helpful object in every day life, and proceed to explain why you think you have a good reason to carry (provide a few examples of what you've used it for recently), you'll more than likely be sent on your way.

Looking forward to the pictures, and welcome to the addiction, I warn you it's expensive :D

5. scjb

scjb Empty Pockets

Thanks for the welcome chaps!

I'll take a look at those Leathermans (Leathermen?!) and see if they fit. Dusty and Moxnil, I know what you mean, but I've always been one of those who would like to stay squeaky clean, if possible (well, as far as the law is concerned anyway!). As I read the relevant acts, with a sub 3" non-locker, they have to prosecute and prove intent to use as a weapon, whereas with a locker or over 3" the onus is on me to prove good reason. I do have non s139's in my toolie, but as that's only ever with me en route to work, I can easily prove good reason there. I just worry about trusting to the discretion of some stranger in a police uniform with a career to advance. Such a crappy state of affairs, but that's just the way it is I suppose. Ain't ever gonna get any better!

Right... where's that Heinnie catalogue... :)

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

IMO if an officer has cause to search you, they aren't going to be in your favor on questionable items.

Oops, forgot to say hi. Hi! welcome to the forum!

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!