1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aldermietzel, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Aldermietzel

Aldermietzel Empty Pockets

Hello from Worcester, England. I've been collecting sharps for a few years now (where funds allow), particularly slippies. I also shoot cattys (slingshots) and have ended up with about 20 of those too ! It's interesting to see what people across the water are carrying with them. Because of the laws in the uk I'm limited to a slippy and a flashlight in public unless I have a specific reason to be carrying a locking or fixed blade knife. Here's a few I've been carrying recently
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

2. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Hi from Florida. Glad to see knives are still carried and collected in the UK.

Aldermietzel likes this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Tennessee. If I were limited to only slipjoints, I wouldn’t feel unprepared with that trio. Nice blades!

Aldermietzel likes this.
  4. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Canada

Aldermietzel likes this.
  5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Hello from Texas. I am carrying a Buck 110 Auto and a M&P 380. Both would be illegal in the U.K.

Aldermietzel likes this.
  6. Aldermietzel

Thank you everyone! Yes it is ridiculously strict in the uk. For anyone that might not know about the laws in the UK, I'll give you a bit of a rundown. I can own airguns under 12ftlb and crossbows without any certificate. I can own a shotgun with a capacity of up to 4 shells using shot size up to AAA with a shotgun certificate. On a firearms certificate I can get a semi auto 22lr or 22short rifle with high capacity or a centre fire rifle which is bolt action or lever action with a capacity up to 4 shots or an air rifle over 12ftlb. If I have a shotgun certificate and a firearms certificate I will be able to own buckshot or slug shotgun cartridges. No pistols at all and any guns must be secured in a gunsafe unless being taken to a range or to be used for hunting where legal. It is very difficult to acquire a firearms certificate, I must provide a particular reason to have one and justify every gun I put on my ticket, for example: prove I am a member of a shooting club or show that I have permission and insurance to hunt. I have to justify the calibre of the firearm also, for example: if I have a small permission for shooting rabbits, I will be allowed an FAC powered air rifle, a 22lr or maybe a 17hmr If I can prove it necessary. Under no circumstances is it legal to own, carry or use a firearm for self defense.
    As for knives, I may carry a non-locking folding knife with a cutting edge of 3inches or less without any reason for doing so. I would need to justify carrying a fixed or locking knife, for example if I was going camping or I needed to use it for my job. Automatic knifes and ballisongs are completely illegal to carry and own also. It's illegal for me to carry any item designed specifically as a weapon like a kubaton etc, hence why I carry a large flashlight.

garza likes this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Norway, @Aldermietzel
    I’ve been ranting so much about Norwegian knife laws around here, most regular EDCFers are probably quite fed up, so I won’t go into all the details...

but it’s interesting to note some of the differences and similarities between our countries, though.
    Firearm ownership is actually quite relaxed here, from a European point of view at least. You can own just about anything, with some varying requirements with regards to type of firearm and how many you can own. Basically you will get what you would reasonably need. The law is not intended to restrict ones ability to hunt humanely or compete on equal terms (domestically and internationally). If you need an AR-15 and got the activity to prove it. No problem.
    For hunting there is some restrictions on what semi-automatic rifles you can get on a hunting license as well as a semi-rigid roof on how many complete firearms you can own specifically for hunting. Currently 6, subject to increase to 8 from next year. There is no roof on how many barrels, i.e. calibers, you can own/use for each receiver. If you can show some reasonable justification you may even acquire additional complete firearms for hunting.
    Some calibers that are primarily designed to be armor piercing (like 12.7x99/.50BMG) are prohibited for civilians, but no other restrictions are in place and you don’t need to justify calibers. The hunting itself is regulated under a separate law which specify the minimum caliber and energy requirements for different species, but this has no impact on the acquisition process. For instance, we are not allowed to hunt hare, our closest counterpart to wild rabbits, with something as small and weak as a .22lr.
    There is also absolutely no regulations or paperwork involved in acquiring sound suppressors.

Knives are a different story entirely. On paper at least.
    It seems that we have the same basic fundamentals, where we also are allowed to carry whatever we need (except the usual suspects; autos, balisongs etc) as long as we can justify it. Unfortunately we have no written exceptions for any knives that comply with a set of properties.
    Now, if you look into it, our law was not intended to restrict «just in case» carry of typical pocket knives (no further legal definition is mentioned, but one could assume this refers to slipjoints and/or smaller pocketknives), but this is not written as part of the law and is largely ignored by the police.
    The upside in all this crazy is that the police is not enforcing these knife laws very strictly outside areas where illegal use is frequent. Which is about 99.9% of the country. I live in one of our largest cities, but not one that has a problem with knife crime, and I have never seen or heard of a random knife search ever being carried out around here. And unless you fall victim of a random search, you are either a known criminal, suspect of planning or committing a crime or just plain stupid if you carrying a knife becomes a police matter.
    I would prefer the legal security of having a «allowed to carry just in case» type knife specified in the law, but it’s not unbearable as it is.

#7 aicolainen, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Aldermietzel and garza like this.
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The US knife laws vary from state to state. Even a county within a state and a city within a county may have different ordinances for an allowed knife.

Two cities San Antonio and Corpus Christi enacted city ordinances with a heavy northeast influence. After a few arrests and citations by the police for the knife being visible, the state legislature with bipartisan support preempted all city and knife ordinances.

I still work with a few drama queens who believe any knife is a weapon. They do not view their pairing knife for lunch preparation or the 4” scissors on their desk as weapons. The work handbook is in compliance with the state law.

#8 garza, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Aldermietzel likes this.
  9. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy.

Aldermietzel likes this.
  10. Aldermietzel

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I think a large amount of the population will always see knives as weapons which is not usually the case. I see them as tools and examples of craftsmanship to admire. People often give me a funny look when I tell them I collect knives, but that's not gonna stop me

twin63, aicolainen and garza like this.