1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from a girl in Chicago

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fyrefly76, Aug 13, 2013.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Did someone say girl? ;)

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Fyrefly, you might want to consider some kind of backup plan for each of the three main locations where most people are when the S__ hits the fan: Home (sounds like you've got that one well covered), work, and during travel between the two.

3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a plan, Bull! If I go smaller it's a Maxpedition Fatboy; larger is a surplus Army pack with the 'sustainment pouches' added as needed.

4. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Prepper chicks are the bomb! :smile_coffee:

tmedina and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Once I have a real job with real income, I'm totally going to learn how to use a crossbow or regular "Katniss" bow and arrow. And because I'm me, I'll be buying one in pink. Yes, prepper chicks ARE the bomb.

6. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to say hi, and wish you the best with finding a job when the time comes. They make just the crossbow for you by the way.
    [​IMG]

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

dml24, JLM67, fyrefly76 and 2 others like this.
  7. nwjavahead

nwjavahead Loaded Pockets

Greetings from Kankakee! Welcome to the family!
    Cheers djordje

8. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

My boyfriend is weirded out that I'm carrying an "Assault Pack", he asks me every day if I've assaulted anyone today. He also mocked me for loading it up with my pink Kindle, says it ruins the effect. But he didn't complain at all when I had Benadryl cream for his bee sting on Saturday or a bandaid for his paper cut on Monday.

tmedina likes this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to the truism of EDC - people tease you mercilessly, until they need something. :D

sungame likes this.
  10. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forums ... and the addiction.

If I lived in Chicago and relied on the El to get me home ... I'd put together a get-home-plan before I put together a get-home/EDC bag. Once you have your plan, a back-up plan and a hell-in-a-hand basket plan put together, assemble the items you need to support the plan and put them in a bag that's comfortable to carry.

11. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

My plans (A, B, and hell-in-a-handbasket) all pretty much consist of walking the 10 miles home. As a temp and not knowing where I'm going to be stationed from week to week, it's pretty much the best I can do. I have reasonable shoes to walk the distance, though I'll be mighty sore by the end. I have a particle respirator should there be smoke or debris in the air. I have $57 in small bills (working towards $100) to pay cabbie, stranger, or kid-on-a-bike to give me a ride part or all the way home. I have a flashlight and an extra battery if my walk takes me into the dark hours (though I still have to find my headlamp to add to the bag). I have extra socks and an emergency blanket if it gets cold. I keep eating my granola bars and beef jerky sticks during work breaks, but normally I have snacks so I don't get hangry. I have an empty Nalgene and a LifeStraw in case the only water I find is of questionable cleanliness. And I have cell phone numbers of people both local and far away in case cell service works to get texts out, but connections don't last long enough for actual conversations.

sungame likes this.
  12. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you're on the right track. One thing I might do - especially because your location changes from week to week - is map out at least three routes home from your new location each time you move to a new gig. I would probably also add a map to my EDC bag to make sure I could change my routes on the fly if need be.

Snacks are comforting, but you can last as long as three weeks without food. I'd focus on the ability to breath (you've done this with the particle respirator), shelter, fire and water (Nalgene and LifeStraw) long before I'd worry too much about food.

Personally, I try to imagine the most likely scenarios that I might encounter and prepare accordingly. A friend sent me an e-mail of his wife's first-hand account of being stuck on Lakeshore Drive (I think) during the blizzard last year ... or was it the year before .... Anyway, it was telling to hear how she made do with what was in the vehicle.

13. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

February 2nd, 2011 was the day Lake Shore Drive (and the rest of Chicago) closed down due to the blizzard, it started the night before, actually. Weirdest Groundhog Day since the movie.

Chicago is on a grid system, you don't need a map if you can see the numbers on the buildings. I would start walking west from my current location in the West Loop, walking a block or two north whenever I could. Eventually, I would be far enough away from the hoopla to walk north all the way home. I change my route on the fly depending on which direction I can cross the street, I'd apply the same ability to an emergency situation. Also, I usually have a GPS on me for geocaching, so that would come in handy if I was anywhere I didn't know the area.

I have a couple lighters and a book of matches in my bag, and the emergency blanket could be used as shelter in a pinch, but things would have to be seriously bad for me to hunker down and camp out beside a fire rather than trying to get home. If I couldn't get north, I'd just keep heading west. My parents live about 25 miles west, so I would call them to get me. I mean, at some point the city has to stop being on fire so people are unaffected and available to be of help and I'm no longer reliant on only myself.

My boyfriend's car is what we use for transportation on the weekends. The trunk is usually full of stuff that won't necessarily come in handy in an emergency, but usually includes changes of clothes and lots of water bottles. I wonder if boyfriend would kill me if I put his BugOut Bag (that he doesn't know exists) into the car. I'm sure he'd love it if he got stranded somewhere, but I don't know how much good it would do if he didn't know it was there. Maybe for now, I just do little things like add a lighter to the glovebox, put a wool blanket in the trunk as soon as it starts getting chilly, and put some granola bars in the passenger side door. Later, I'll create a little car first aid kit (including bug spray and sunblock) and a bag for all the tools currently rolling around the trunk. But if I'm with him in the car, we'll at least have my EDC bag and all the things that are coming in handy from inside it.

14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't tell him it's a BOB. Call it anything else - a general vehicle emergency bag. Break him in gently by using a backpack to consolidate all the rolling tools into one location, along with the jumper cables and the flashlight. Then add the snacks, water bottles, and so on.

Especially considering you live in Chicago and getting standard in a snow storm is a real possibility, he should raise his eyebrows too much at the idea of stashing stuff "just in case". Certainly something like an emergency blanket, fleece throw, etc.

15. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Exactly! But then things like this past weekend happen when we pack up the trunk with everything for three nights away, clothes, cases of beer, chairs for tailgating, the football referee bag, the bag of stuff that still needs to get dropped off at the Goodwill, and I'm afraid he takes one look at the "general vehicle emergency bag" and decides it needs to go into the house, gets hidden in a closet, and is never heard from again.

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I'm making my suggestions based on decades of experience, but you're welcome to ignore it. ;)

In the strictest terms, the whole world is on a grid system (latitude and longitude). No one should ever get lost. :D

17. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

I actually did buy a map for my Bug Out Bag, but I won't be carrying one around in my EDC. Chicagoland is so big, anything that would be small enough to carry daily wouldn't have enough detail for me to use it in an emergency. Again, my EDC is just to get me home or otherwise to safety in an emergency. Though now that I phrase it that way, maybe I should keep the addresses of friends in the city I could crash with for a night if I can't make it all the way home.

tmedina likes this.
  18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That kind of information isn't a bad thing to have written down, if push come to shove.

Think "Snowmageddon!"

SAKplumber likes this.
  19. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

fyrefly, look at these packs: Osprey Escapist 20 Pack, Ethnotek Tek-Thread Travel Daypack, REI Acumen Daypack, REI Trail 25, REI Traverse 30 and finally the Kelty Redwing 40 Pack.

The first three packs are less than 30L, all of these packs can carry your Kindle safely and still have room for the other items you carry.
    The 30L Traverse and Kelty 40 would give you more options when traveling as both fit airline carry on size limits.

All the bags above look normal and would not stand out. If you want to more fasionalble most of these bags are offered in at least two or three color options beside black or gray of some sort.

Let us know what pack you purchase and your impressions of the new pack!

20. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

Greetings from NY.

I disagree on the whole tactical backpack thing, a little too conspicuous in a big city, where if it got really bad you'd really stand out. I prefer a messenger bag, as seen on countless people in the city and big enough for just about anything that would fit in a small backpack.

Rattlecan likes this.