1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from a girl in Chicago

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fyrefly76, Aug 13, 2013.

1. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

2. larry h

larry h Loaded Pockets

Hello Firefly, welcome to EDCF, enjoy! You may want to check on getting a single AA L.E.D. flashlight and have some AA batteries in your backpack. Sounds like you're getting things together. Also some nutrition bars to have on hand.

3. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Well, I broke down and bought the Condor Compact Assault Pack in black. With two day shipping, I should have it this weekend so I can switch everything over from my purse. I'm just so done having my back hurt because I carry too much stuff on one shoulder in my purse. I showed a couple of the girls at work a picture of the pack and they loved it, especially that it's called an Assault Pack.

I'm expecting several items for the GHB portion of my EDC bag to arrive in today's mail. I'm hoping the LifeStraw fits inside an empty wide-mouth Nalgene because I'm hoping to make the empty Nalgene be the container that holds several of these items (i.e. LifeStraw, handkerchief, headlamp, extra socks). And I'm going to use some time tonight to condense all the electronics (i.e. camera, camera charger, phone charger, LED flashlight, extra batteries) into another little bag that I grabbed from mom's house. Next Monday I'll be ready for anything.

defuse kit and tmedina like this.
  4. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

Lol.

Yes. Soon, very soon, you'll find yourself considering the purchase of Sebenzas and Hinderers, McGizmo flashlights, and Atwood keychain tools... Put your credit card in the freezer.

5. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Won't do any good to put my credit card in the freezer. Amazon already knows my account number.

bzimmerly, snowkiwi and kertap75 like this.
  6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

7. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of the stuff persco mentioned you won't find on Amazon. So you are save...

...for now. :D

Servus from Bavaria! :wavespin:

8. Diecastfreak
    • In Omnia Paratus

Diecastfreak Loaded Pockets

Welcome from upstate Ny!!

9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Welcome to the Fun! :cool:

10. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

omg! I love my new backpack! My boyfriend was not available to entertain me today, so I took my new pedometer out for a walk. I was ready for everything, and it was all so comfortable. The waist strap ensured that I carried all the weight on my hips. And the chest strap ensured the shoulder straps didn't separate and fall off. I feel so happy carrying all this stuff, it doesn't at all feel like a burden. I'm just so glad to be so prepared. I was wanting for nothing.

The LifeStraw doesn't fit in the Nalgene bottle, but neither does the particle respirator, so I'll have to find another small baggie for the remainder of the GHB portion of my bag.

tmedina and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

I've got the very same pack- Condor Compact Assault Pack- It was the first one I got too; so I know the feeling:bounce: . It now resides as my car emergency bag.
    Try this: You may want to buy a small foldable 16 or 32oz water bottle and wrap it round the life straw filter and some CLO2 tablets and wrap with some rubberbands / ranger bands (cut up bike inner tubes) or 550paracord - to just leave in the bottom of your pack for emergencies.

And welcome to the fun . From New Zealand.

12. tattoo13

tattoo13 Loaded Pockets

I used to work in the ER at Illinois Masonic at Wellington and Halsted.
    I know the daunting feeling of trying to figure out how to navigate the city after an emergency!
    Depending on how familiar you are with the city as a whole you may want to consider a simple street map, in a bad situation it can become very hard to navigate even familiar surroundings.
    A ten mile hike through city streets can be an ordeal in a bad situation, but figure two quarts of water would be a good start, I keep a stash of bottled water at work and figure if things turn south I can grab from my stash on the way out the door, but carrying a liter with you in general is a good thing, it gives you something to drink ;)
    If you have not tested your pepper spray I would buy a second so you can take the one you have and test it, pepper spray is great, but has limitations and you HAVE to know the spray pattern and distance before using it.
    Keeping safe in cities is 90% (or more) awareness, most situations can be avoided if you see them coming!
    I could go on for days, but I will cut it short. Ask lots of questions and test, test, test, take the time to see if your plans will work and if your equipment suits your needs.

bzimmerly and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

I got my wife a Leatherman Juice S2 and as a previous non knife or tool user, she uses it daily.

14. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

I have a foldable water bottle in my BOB that I could use for this. But the reason I wanted to keep a regular Nalgene in my pack was so that I could add a nesting aluminum cup to the pack.

I'm currently temping, so I can't leave a stash of anything at work. But I have looked around my desk and work space and created a mental list of what I need to grab on my way out the door in a :censored: situation. And since I've considered my behavior in an emergency situation, I also picture myself rallying the troops; getting people to cut up last year's T-shirts to use as breathing masks, filling up water bottles for the trek out, and organizing groups of walkers depending on the direction of travel. Only two weeks left at this location and I have to figure out my new plan for whatever new location I find myself.

Cobra 6 Actual and snowkiwi like this.
  15. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

I was just looking at my old posts and noticed this one of yours.
    Haha! Youre not my sister are you?;) That sounds like something she would do. She is often talking about organizing people in times of crisis improvising and making go-bags for people. :)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  16. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

I'm definitely not your sister. Nobody in my family knows what I've turned into. I think I've managed to hide my psychosis pretty well. Not even my live-in boyfriend knows that there's a go-bag on the bedroom floor for him or cans of Campbell's soup under the bed. I'm waiting for the winter storm that hits when our cupboards are bare and the clam chowder I have stashed behind the books on the shelves saves his sanity and growling belly.

Also, my current job doesn't require any intellectual output, so I have a lot of time to consider my actions in an emergency (or if I found a working time machine, or if I won a guest spot on my favorite TV show, or how I would spend a significant lottery winning, or...)

Cobra 6 Actual and SAKplumber like this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nothing in the world wrong with that. :D

18. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is a great back pack, I have one in foliage.

19. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Bull, I have two: one in black and one in desert tan. When I got the first one I was so impressed that I bought one for each of my sons. They use theirs all the time, too.

20. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine is my car ghb. It's just a little bit to big or more so I load it down to much for day hikes. But for the price it can't be beat. I am rocking a northface recon as my day hike bag now. "bull_paqqy out"

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.