1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello from a girl in Chicago

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fyrefly76, Aug 13, 2013.

1. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Mornin'!
    I'm here because Walking Dead, Revolution, and Hunger Games have convinced me I'm going to die. I want nothing more than to learn to shoot a crossbow like Daryl or yield a sword like Michonne.
    But in all seriousness, this is my situation... I work in downtown Chicago. I don't own a car and commute by elevated train. I EDC whatever is in my purse which includes items like my Kindle, digital camera, phone, wallet, keys, daily toiletries (lotion, chapstick, kleenex, floss), some OTC meds and I usually have a second bag that includes my lunch and occasionally a rain coat. I've recently decided that I need to include some Get Home Bag items into my Every Day Carry. I'd also like to trade out my purse for a backpack so it's easier to carry, makes me narrower on crowded sidewalks than carrying two bags, and gives me options for something to carry through the woods on geocaching weekends. I'm looking forward to getting advice here.
    Thanks,

2. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Welcome! For starters, a good backpack is something you'll want to invest in. My wife and I have Osprey Flares. They're day bags that we use for our vehicle emergency/get-home kits. They're pretty comfortable and can hold a good amount of stuff, and have the benefit of not looking tacticool. Ours ran around $100 I think.

Other than that, I'm not sure what all to add to your kit, as I'm not sure what's allowed in Chicago. My knee-jerk response is that you need a knife of some kind, however I'm not sure if that's legal for you.

SurvivePenna and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDC Forum! You're sure to find suggestions for the items you're interested in. Just as an example I use a Kelty MAP 3500 as a daily backpack. You can check one out here: http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html The desert tan is approx. $120 and not that tactical looking. BUT, there are many other options ... And if you ask people here they will give you their opinions, provide photos, reviews, etc.

A couple of ideas for adds: whistle, small flashlight, maybe a Victorinox Classic mini-knife (carry one for a week and you'll carry it forever ... That's how handy it is.). Again, welcome!

bzimmerly likes this.
  4. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome from Ottawa, Illinois! It's great to have you with us. :)

Great idea - a backpack will be a lot harder to snatch than a purse in the city. See? You're already increasing your personal security!

Definitely consider a pair of comfy shoes and a nice light in your "get home" bag.

Last edited by Russ Prechtl, Aug 13, 2013
  5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to edcf! It seems that you have a good understanding of what you need and what you want to improve. Don't let all of the enablers around here lead you astray!

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

And a backpack is easier on your back/shoulders than trying to sport two bags, or one heavy bag.

Cobra 6 beat me to the flashlight suggestion.

If you're thinking about a GHB, your backpack should be large enough to carry a good pair of walking shoes. I'll refrain from posting miles and miles of suggestions. :D

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome to EDCF !!!! :) You have found the right place for sure....and I'm glad that you did. Enjoy the forums ! :wavespin:

8. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Chicago laws require a blade length of no more than 2.5" if you are over 18 and no more than 2" if you are under 18.

9. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

Honestly, I'm not sure I would know what to do with a knife if I had one. I'd probably just end up hurting myself. I do have pepper spray that I hold in my hand whenever I'm alone outside at night. I'm also 5'11", 240lbs, so I figure most 'bad guys' when given the choice between messing with me and messing with a 5 foot nothing, buck twenty pound girl, is probably going to leave me alone.

I've added a whistle to my To Buy list. I do have a small flashlight on my keychain though I might add a headlamp to the GHB portion of my EDC. And I DID buy a mini-knife a while back when I was stocking up our BugOut Bags at home. It's been in the BOB on the bedroom floor until this weekend, when I cleaned out the purse of the unnecessaries and added in more worthwhile carries.

My current Worst Case Scenario is what if an airplane hits the Sears Tower in Chicago. I'm about a quarter mile away from there at my current temporary job. Yesterday I ordered particle respirators and a life straw to help get me home (I live 10 miles from work, but would have to take the long way around if downtown was on fire). I always wear reasonable commuter shoes and leave work shoes at work to change into.

Please keep the backpack recommendations coming. Thanks!

10. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Oh, knives aren't for fighting for me, they're tools. A flashlight is also a great thing to have. Both of these items my wife and I often get poked fun at for carrying, but we both use them on a regular basis.

EDIT: Here's the knife I got my wife. Should be Chicago-legal according to Russ' post:

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1600-Pink-Chive-Speedsafe/dp/B001D0Q2EO

11. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

I had a knife on my amazon wishlist, but my boyfriend saw it and told me to take it off. He said I should get a knife from his dad who is a hoarder, especially of things you can buy at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm a big believer in "knife as tool" - anything from a dedicated pocket knife, to a Swiss Army knife, or the blade of a multi-tool.

Head lamps aren't bad; in fact they can be quite useful. That said, I would always want to have a long-running flashlight for my bag - something in a x2 AA format for cost and availability of batteries.

Personally, I swear by CR123s, but those aren't everyone's cup of tea.

sungame and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

Welcome to the Forum. I'd suggest a good sturdy Messenger bag for everything you want to carry. Timbuk2 or Seagull Bags

14. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Hi Fyrefly, welcome! :D

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Psshhh! Those buck twenty girls...sounds like my sisters :p LOL!

Welcome to the Forum Fyrefly76! :wavespin:

I would like to add that purchasing through the FOrum's Store, JS Burly's, helps support the Forum Owner, Jon. So while your shopping around for a backpack be sure to check out what Jon has to offer as well. There are several new threads referencing Vanquest (<link<) bags that he recently started carrying. Like this one >>---> Vanquest VSlingerā„¢ Slingpacks.

Or even something from one of our advertisers, Tom Bihn, if you decide you don't want the tactical look...TOM BIHN

Welcome, have fun, and hang on to your wallet:D

16. fyrefly76

fyrefly76 Empty Pockets

I used to carry a messenger bag, but I think it made me lopsided and hurt my back when carrying it on one shoulder. I want a backpack. And while I'm enjoying looking through the Osprey packs, I almost think I want something that looks a little more tactical. As an urban chick, I think I can get away with it without everyone thinking that I really am prepared for everything. Especially when I open it and pull out a pink zipper bag (containing bandaids, etc), pink Kindle case, pink camera in a pink camera bag, pink flowered zipper bag of granola bars and beef jerky, and purple phone. The other bag I'm looking at is the Condor Compact Assault Pack

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Welcome

Sent by Owl Post

18. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Welcome!

Always ether to have one and not need it then to need it and not have one. You'll be surprised how often you'll use one when you have it. My girlfriend uses her little Swiss Army Knife a lot... mostly on her nails.

A small blade isn't going to weigh you down either. A Victorinox Classic should be more than enough and if you end up wanting something that locks, Spyderco makes the hugely helpful Chicago which will perfectly suit your needs and stay well within Chicago knife laws.

Oh, and I have a Condor Compact Assault pack sitting in the back of my closet. Medic red. Looks cool and works well, but I'm toning down the tactical and everything with Molle is sitting around now. I should really put it up on the BST. Anyway, not a bad place to start. Beats jumping in head first and dropping $$$ on Goruck, Kifaru, or TAD and discovering tactical isn't your thing after all.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  19. Edward Teach
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edward Teach Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard!

20. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi,
    You had for first a plenty of replies in a world time record :D , i just wanted to say you welcome, from Italy too !!!