1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hello everone! Just registred

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by robertrock, Apr 4, 2006.

1. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Found this forum tonight off of the G-Shock forum. What a cool place. I have been an EDC carrier all my life and did not know there was a term for it. I am a mechanical engineer/software developer, an ex-scout, geek and gadget nut.

I have EDC I tote daily with me. Alot of it stays in a Sportsman dry box in the truck with first aid supplies, bactine spray, bug spray, rope, snake bite kit, and antiseptic wipes. My son and I are in to GeoCaching and this stuff we carry is essential. In another bag I carry a GPS, spare batteries, small AA maglight, cheap digital camera, lock back knives(2), compass, sticky notes, and pencil. Also have a 2D cell maglite, a 6-LED Contact light with red and white beams. I carry a Gerber lockback knife daily as well as a 2GB USB flash drive.

Some days I even carry a PSP, earbuds, and several games in a mini-back pack for playing at lunch.

robert

2. denise

denise Empty Pockets

Welcome RobertRock. It sounds like you'll fit in here perfect. Thanks for joining!

3. gbaker

gbaker Empty Pockets

From one mech engineer (in HVAC field) to another hello.

Can you give me a quick understanding of geo catching - perhaps a web site. Also how old is your son? Why does he like it? Mine is 12 and I've wondered why its popular. Sounds like maybe a fun dad - son thing to do.

4. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Look into it at www.geocaching.com. Basically it's a high tech treasure hunt using a GPS and compass. Go to the site put in your zip code and you will find hundreds if not thousands of these caches. Latitude and Logitude are provided and sometimes clues. Caches range in size from large tupperware containers to small altoids tins. Inside each is a log book which you sign and report back to the web site that you found it. The larger ones have "cracker jack" type toys, coins, pens, pencils, coasters, rubber balls, etc. If you take an item you are supposed to leave an item in the cache.

Great way to spend some time with your son trampling out in the woods. We got lost really bad on one outing for about 2 hours in the heat and cactus. We took our bikes, layed them down in the woods and then could not find them or our way out.

Better in cooler weather than summer of course. My son is almost 14 and we don't do it as much as we did. Our record is around 6-7 on a Saturday if all of the caches are close by.

We have discovered some very ingenious hiding places. After you get within 20 feet it's basically knowing where to look. Tree cover can also drive the gps crazy. It's alot of fun.

robert