1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Helikon-Tex Direct Action "Dragon Egg Backpack" (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Laughingman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Laughingman

Laughingman Loaded Pockets

The Dragon Egg is a new backpack from Polish Company: Helikon Tex under their Direct Action range. This backpack is designed as a Tactical Daypack with plenty of room for hydration and gear.

[​IMG]

Dragon Egg in Woodland Camo (front)
    This is a very good looking bag; more functional than a TAD litespeed and cooler looking than a rush 24. I am a gear fiend and have owned all these bags. The molle works, but to be honest if you need to cover the bag in pouches get a bigger bag!

[​IMG]

Dragon Egg in Woodland Camo (back)
    This bag has nice shoulder straps that are very comfortable and ergonomic, lots of organisation space to rival a 5.11 bag and lots of compression straps. It features ykk zippers throughout and high quality buckles. It has a firm back which is padded and there is room for a laptop or a water pouch in the back pocket and the main pocket. The front pocket unzips clam shell style and has room for all your edc plus a couple of admin pouches. There are pouches on each side to slide water bottles into and they have a clever zip on each side to compress the pouches when not in use.

[​IMG]

Dragon Egg in Coyote (expanding side pockets)
    I use a Milspec Monkey adapt pack for my normal edc (work ect) but I have started going swimming and to the gym so I needed something that could take work stuff and a towel and trainers et al. This bag is big enough to be able to carry that but small enough to not feel loaded down. The 500D Cordura is light and thanks to the padded (semi) firm back the bag holds it's shape even when mostly empty.

[​IMG]

Dragon Egg in Coyote (front clamshell organisation)
    If I had to quibble I would want more Velcro on the front (morale patches!) and I would want a front shock cord to hold my jacket but these are not deal breakers.

In conclusion I would say that this is a very functional bag that looks the t**s. If you are looking for a daypack, work bag, school bag or considering a tactical pack of this size then I would strongly consider this bag. The quality seems to be good and I found no faults in the woodland camo pack I ordered.
    [​IMG]

Dragon Egg in Coyote (top paracord handle and hydration hole)

The bag is available in Black, Woodland Camo, Camogrom Camo, GreenZone Camo, Snowdrift Camo, Ranger Green (foliage), Kryptek Mandrake, Kryptek Highlander, Badlands Camo, Coyote and Olive green.

Products Features:

• Laser-cut slits MOLLE/PALS system
    • Innovative ventilation system Combat Vent System®
    • Two-way YKK® zipper closures
    • Main compartment features internal mesh and hydration pockets
    • Two external additional pockets
    • Padded sleeve adapted for secured carrying 15’’ noteboot
    • Two small side pockets
    • Additional back compartment for hydration bladder
    • Paracord drag handle
    • Quick release shoulder straps
    • D-Ring attachment points
    • Side and bottom retention straps with buckles
    • Detachable hip belt
    • Velcro panel (12 x 8 cm) for ID patches
    • Made of 500D Cordura® fabric
    • Duraflex® - WooJin buckles and YKK® zippers
    • Weight : 1,5 kg
    • Capacity : 25 l.
    • Dimensions: 48x27x18 cm
    • Raw material : 100% Cordura® 500D
    *** I bought my Bag from the UK based Military 1st Store on UK based Amazon. I am in no way affiliated with Military 1st, Amazon or Helikon Tex and I bought my bag using my own hard earned cash.

Hope this review helps :)

Last edited by Laughingman, Dec 8, 2014
    ltbarber, Nighted, Ile and 5 others like this.
  2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks very much, Laughingman: great review. Does this have any internal aluminum supports?

3. Laughingman

No, it uses a padded hard foam over thin pvc (I think) featuring what Direct Action call the "combat vent system". I find it keeps its shape very well whilst remaining comfortable and ventilated and also keeps the weight down. I use this bag sometimes for going to the supermarket and i load it up with groceries, I find it very comfortable on my back even with only a t shirt on. The load feels fine even when very heavy, I have never had to use the included waist strap.
    Hope this answers your question :)

4. Cobra 6 Actual

It does answer my question ... thanks very much!

5. Laughingman

Also worthy of mention is that I am a stocky guy, 6ft 210 lbs and I find this bag to look just the right size for every day urban carry; not too big and not too small. The shape really is low profile, for me the size of this bag really hits the sweet spot. Due to the back padding the bag never looks empty even when I have almost nothing in it. The sheer choice of colors mean that you don't have to worry about looking too "tactical" I realize I'm gushing, but this really is a sweet bit of kit for a nice price.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. Laughingman

The grocery test is the best IMO as it involves lots of weight with hard odd shaped items.

I am happy to answer any and all questions :)

7. Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks again, sir ... much appreciated.

8. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Looks great...

Thanx for the review!

9. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

Been looking forward to a review on this one. Thanks!

Here's a couple questions for someone who's actually used it:

How is back ventilation? How much does it compress down?

Last edited by Tech2, Dec 8, 2014
  10. Laughingman

The back ventilation is great, I run a very hot core temperature and I have never had a wet back even with my tad ranger hoodie after walking 4 miles. It is pretty hard as far as foam goes so I would say the compression is minimal although i can squeeze it with my fingers if i push. What I mean to say is that it keeps its form but is soft enough for comfort. I would rate the ventilation far over a 5.11 bag, also bags of this size do not normally have great ventilation so is definitely an area where this bag shines.

Tech2 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. Laughingman

I will try and get some pics of my bag up asap, to show the minor mods I have done to the bag although it is a testament to the design that I have had to make so few mods. Usually I spend hours with the paracord and clips lol

12. Laughingman

If anyone has any specific pictures of features on the bag they would like just let me know.

13. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

I like the sound of that pack ventilation material. it seems pretty similar to some newer civilian packs that seems to work well (according to my friends, i've never tried it).

Here's another couple questions if you don't mind:
    Is the rear hydration/laptop area waterproof? How much can the pack be cinched down with the compression straps?

14. Laughingman

The rear area is pretty darn waterproof and padded for laptops although I would spray the bag with fabsil Like I did. I have had the bag in a downpour and I had no leaks but after sustained rain over hours I'm not sure as the zips are not water tight and the bag is made out of cordura. I bought a great waterproof pack cover by Tacoma just in case. I would say that this bag is great for laptops as the back area offers good protection and the way the zips are placed has a slight flap so I wouldn't worry so much about leakage in the back compartment.

The compression straps are very good quality and will pull everything tight. There is ample room for strap modifications if a person needed it though and a handy pair of straps at the bottom of the bag for bedrolls ect. I modded mine with some green shock cord and some itw nexus bits to make a handy elasticated front. Will update with pics when i get home from work.

:)

15. Todesfrosch

Todesfrosch Loaded Pockets

If Their bags are as good as their pants I might buy one. I have a lot of their clothes and they are amazing!

16. Laughingman

Yeah
    Yeah, they are pretty good for the price range. Hard part was choosing the colour. I have used the bag for about four months and have had no problems. I will be taking some photos of my bag and putting them up soon. Sorry for the stock photos.

17. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Very interesting bag, thanks for the review. I can't seem to find anyone who carries the pack, any ideas?
    Thanks

18. Ile

Ile Loaded Pockets

Great review of great bag!My experience of them is about Helikon Wombat shoulder bag and its one really nice piece.

19. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

I really like the Polish woodland camo. Great looking pack. This is probably the only pack that has caught my interest since first eyeballing the TAD Lightspeed.

I'll put this on my shortlist to replace an older pack of mine, still great shape and about the same material but just can't remove the waist belt (which has always bothered me).

20. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

Awesome review! Thank You! I really like this pack.