1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heel rise in boots

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Shadowex3, May 21, 2013.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone else get an uncomfortable raised heel feeling when wearing combat or tactical boots? I've found myself overtightening my 5.11's lately to try and stop my foot from moving forwards and jamming my toes into the front when I walk, especially going up or down inclines. Given the whole point of combat boots is to keep your foot stable and supported it seems like a pretty oddball problem.

I've read from a few other people that it might be from the insoles raising my heel too much (superfeet greens) and to try something shaped different like SOLE. Anyone else run into the same issue?

2. kennyprep

kennyprep Loaded Pockets

Insoles socks and improper fitting boots the military issues then a half size under to get past peoples comfert size to solve the issue i ware 13 work boot but 12 hikeing combat and weighter ... Also combat boots are made to be worn with heavier beathing socks so fruit of the looms make them fit funny insoles take up some room but no in the toe which is probably where your getting you slideing feeling tightening wont help has the ankle support will just shift

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

3. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

Kenny I appreciate you're trying to help out but I'm going to need some punctuation to understand what on earth you just said mate.

4. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

If this is happening down inclines, then your boots are improperly sized for your feet, i.e., they are too big. On a properly sized boot, the laces should snug your ankle and heel back into the boot, preventing sliding from happening.

sungame likes this.
  5. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Don't mind the average heel on a boot so long as it isn't like some actresses in films wearing high heel combat boots. I mean really how hard is it to put her in a believable combat boot?

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

I'd considered that but even a half size down and the boot's definitely too short.

7. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

In that case, there is too much boot volume. It could also be that your boots are too wide for your feet. There are a few ways to tackle this then:

1) HIgher volume inserts. Superfeet Greens are already as high as they come in... so either start wearing cushion sole socks, or maybe the following:
    2) Proper lacing. Assuming you're doing the proper thing and lacing the boot all the way up, then you might benefit from varying the tension on the laces at each portion of the boot. Unfortunately lacing is not my forte, so somebody else more knowledgeable should chime in.

A few things to consider before you do anything drastic:

1) Does this happen on an even plane?
    2) You mentioned "lately". Did this not happen before?
    3) Did this happen before you switched over to Superfeet inserts? Superfeet actually shouldn't raise your heel. If they do then there's something wrong here.
    3a) I'm not familiar with 5.11 boots, but did you remove the original inserts before putting in the Superfeet?
    4) Again I'm not familiar with 5.11 boots, but from a quick google they don't look like the most structured and stable of footwear. Does this problem occur when you're wearing any other sort of boot?

8. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

In order:

1. Yes, but less noticeably. In generally I pretty much always feel like my feet are already on an incline and sliding forwards/downwards
    2. Lately referring to realising that I've been overtightening the laces to compensate
    3. I just doublechecked. The toebash is still there and my foot still works forward with each step, but it doesn't feel like there's a sudden centimeter drop between my heel and the rest of my foot.
    3a. Per 5.11 and superfeet's instructions yes.
    4. They're more the tactical-Sneaker style of boot admittedly. I don't have any other kind right now, though I'm looking for a set of Altama jungle boots.

I think you may have hit on something there Akilae, thanks to your idea of checking the original insoles I just found out with the superfeet I can stand flat on my heel and have a gap under the ball of my foot, so it's definitely not in my head. It could be a combination of your idea of volume and the superfeet insoles fitting somewhat strangely in 5.11's "tactical sneaker" ATAC design, because I don't have this problem at all in the sneakers or dress shoes I use Superfeet Greens and Blacks in.

9. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Altamas huh. What size are you?

10. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

If you want tactical boots with low heels try Rocky SV2's.

11. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

9 even in sneaker/5.11 sizing, only been able to try one set of altama's within a ~2 hour driving radius so all I know is I'm larger than a size 7-7.5. Since I'm stuck with aftermarket insoles thanks to the arch I'm going to guess around an 8-8.5.