1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heavy pens

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by carrot, May 29, 2015.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The sweet spot for me is 28-34 grams. All the pens that feel "right" to me when writing and carrying in a shirt pocket range in that area: Waterman Expert rollerball, Retro 51 rollerball, Tactile Turn Slider, Zebra Sarasa Grand, etc.

2. tarrdaddy

tarrdaddy Loaded Pockets

Prometheus writes alpha pen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I have an Orange Diplomat Aero fountain pen (also available as ballpoint). It is Zeppelin shaped, and cooler than a cool thing.

tbzbbt

4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Awesome! I was just mentioning (as an aside) that I wanted to get an Aero sometime - would ya recommend 'em as a daily driver (seems like daily carry makes more sense than everyday carry, but anyway...)?

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Somehow, I had not seen this thread before. I recently posted about a couple of heavier pens I have on another thread. Here is what I posted:

Since we're talking about large heavy pens... from Germany no less...

I have two specimens:

1) Rotring Initial rollerball

[​IMG]

2) Lamy Dialog 2 rollerball
    [​IMG]

Sorry; I'm not set up to take pics. But as you can see I was able to grab some images off of Amazon. They're both hefty -- in excess of 4.5 oz! The Rotring, with the cap posted for writing, comes in at about 6.5 inches in length. The Lamy Dialog 2 I find is listed at 5 5/8" with the tip retracted.

The Rotring is in active use on my desk...I've got to find my Lamy.... its in a case somewhere on my shelf!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

I had mentioned that I'd want to get some form of the Initial someday, and that day's come. :D

For some reason, maybe based on supply and demand, or popularity, or wanting to clear out stock, yet pensandleather has a range of prices for the various modes and colorways of the Initial (found there - http://j.mp/rOtringInitial_pal - if ya wanted to figure out and explain here what the method was), and since I didn't have a color preference, I went with the mode I could live with which also happened to be a pretty decent deal. So that'll be here soon to test out.

:cool:

7. Moshe ben David

Be interesting to see how you like it...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Awww man! I just remembered something which put the rOtring Initial capped writing instruments on the "to-possibly-get-maybe-sometime" list - does the cap even post on the back?!? That's usually preferred, yet was all just looking for a good deal on one and forgot about that detail. Well, at least it wasn't much to find out in person; just gotta wait and see when it gets here...

Also, when looking online to see if folks have noticed or griped about the cap not posting, there's (at least) one instance where the cap doesn't even stay on securely when clicked on over the writing tip: http://vid178.photobucket.com/albums/w267/rahul_does/Rotring Initial Drop.mp4?_=1

Ummm, yay...:rolleyes_revamped:

9. Moshe ben David

I've had my roller ball of this family for quite a while.

(1) Yes, it can post. I don't usually though just because that makes it quite long and quite 'tail heavy'. I find that using the pen without the cap posted is more comfortable. FYI -- I wear size 'L' gloves!

(2) I've never had the cap come off on its own when carried in say a shirt pocket with the cap clicked on in the closed position. That said, I don't usually carry this pen in a shirt pocket, again just because of size and weight. I have carried it in a jacket inside breast pocket and have had no issues with it.

Hope this helps.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  10. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

What Moshe said. I too have big hands and love heavy pens. However the balance is off when you post the cap. If you don't post it, it is another thing to keep track of and find when its time to return pen to pocket. That is why mine went from active use to lurking in my desk drawer.

I have never had the cap come off when clipped to a pocket. It is a great design that clicks on and off with a positive feel, and avoids the annoyance of a screw on top.

11. sierra11b

sierra11b Loaded Pockets

Just bought 5 pens from Will at Tactile Turn for stocking stuffers, to include a great Cu (and Ti) slider for myself. It's lovely and weighty but totally doable in terms of everyday writing unless you're writing a thesis. A lot of the online reviewers must have puny wrists and are too harsh on the "OMG it's sooooo heavy" pitch. I will say the Cu (or other heavy metal) will be too heavy in the chest pocket, unless secured on the chest shirt seam and not in a pocket, but if on the desk or as part of a kit it's super easy to justify and just a matter of which one you choose.

12. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I used to use the Hinderer Extreme Duty Kubaton pen in Ti, about 2 ounces. The problem was the cap, it just wasn't convenient. Unscrew the cap off and then screw onto the rear to post. The weight never bothered me, but I rarely write more than a couple sentences at a time.

My current weekend pen, and my favorite is the discontinued titanium Zero Tolerance pen, about 1.5 ounces. The problem is at work I am forced to lend out my pen regularly and I am not up to lending out an irreplaceable pen where a moments inattention and it would walk away. (I could carry extras to lend out, but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying mine where I might lay it down and have it walk away.) I love the heft of the Zero Tolerance, and the cap clicks on and off by means of an internal O ring. (and clicks onto the back when posted) never had the cap loosen unintentionally, and the pen takes regular Parker size refills. (or Fisher space pen) I even had a refill explode when the pen went through the washer/dryer. Unscrewed it, used a solvent to clean it out, reassembled with a new refill and it was good to go.

My compromise work pen is the Parker Jotter in stainless. Not nearly as heavy as I might prefer, but classy, easily identified, easily disinfected, easily replaced, and practically bombproof. (I average about one loss per year.) Also it does give me the option of using my favorite colored refills, Purple.

Grizz