1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Metal!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by knifeguy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I can't believe I failed to mention Pantera in my earlier post. They have some songs I don't like, but the good ones are some of the best out there! E.g. Mouth for War has one of my all time favorite metal riffs.

2. RottingxZombie

RottingxZombie Loaded Pockets

i think what he means, or at least what i would mean, is that thrash sounds faster. death obviously has fast blast beats and what not but to me the simple thrash beat sounds super fast especially when coupled with fast spoken vocals. like necrophobic by slayer. its not literally as fast as say fleshgod apocalypse but it just sounds super fast. not sure if explained that correctly but thats just my opinion on the matter

3. NecroDemon

NecroDemon Loaded Pockets

Some of my favorites - Anaal Nathrakh, Burzum, Darkthrone, Marduk, Kroh, Fukpig, Rotten Sound, Nasum, Napalm Death, Godflesh, Magrudergrind, Spazz, SixFeetUnder, Mumakil, Watain.. \m/

4. Ogre

Ogre Banned

yeah i was thinking bout this actually, i think i know what you mean. death has far more beats per minutes than thrash usually, but the type of rythems in thrash make you want to headbang and freak out more. also, thrash is usually more consistent in tempo throughout a song, with less speed changes or time signature changes.

i think thats why i gravitate towards techdeath more. the sheer rediculousness of the skill involved in some of the techdeath music is just astounding. the insane precise speeds and ability to change time signatures and speeds just blows my mind. In my mind, i compare thrash to a being written a little more like punk, at least in structure, but a lot of crazy death metal almost sounds like its composed the way a symphony would be composed. like it took a serious amount of thought and a lot of time (and possibly a calculator) to write.

5. Ogre

Ogre Banned

hahaha, for me pantera kind of goes without saying. its a staple in the diet of a metalhead imo. even if its not frequently listend too, one has (or should) have some place in their heart for pantera.

i havent listened to any pantera in the last 6 months, at all. but i still have cowboys from hell, vulgar display of power, and far beyond driven. every now and then i will spend a week rotating between each of those.

i havent listened to any pantera in several months, but once in a while ill spend a week or two tweeking out on cowboys from hell, far beyond driven, and vulgar display of power

6. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Good to read that there are so many people who like metal on this forum. :devil:

Among my favorites are
    Hammerfall
    Manowar
    Nightwish
    Running Wild
    Metallica
    Sabaton

The many band names in this thread remid me of a song by Sabaton:

Vesp likes this.
  7. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Iron Maiden, without a doubt!

MatBlack likes this.
  8. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I know a guy who plays lead guitar and vocals in Section 5150. I am not a big metal follower, but some of their stuff is not bad.

9. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

Good choice!

stax likes this.
  10. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

Bands in heavy rotation at the moment:

Meshuggah
    Evocation
    Cryptopsy
    Soreption
    Enslaved
    Melechesh
    Zonaria
    Vreid
    Naglfar
    Miseration
    Gojira
    Blood Red Throne
    Psycroptic

Ad you can never go wrong with some classic Heavy Metal such as Iron Maiden and Dio :)

Vesp and Ogre like this.
  11. Vesp
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vesp Loaded Pockets

beast likes this.
  12. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Wait, this is metal thread? Kind of slow, not really looking for metal here. Went to Tuska festival in Hellstinki this year. Was a good time.

Also was Tuska 2005 and Wacken 2008 (w/ MC Möka), so try to go every few years. Like a pilgrimage. :frantic:

Think I'm getting old. Wear tour / fest shirts to work. Some of the younger workers have already walked up asking if I was actually there, man. :eek:

13. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Lately:
    Revenge
    Impetuous Ritual
    Judas Priest
    WASP
    Cirith Ungol

14. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

In no particular order, nor particular styles:
    In Extremo
    Disturbed
    Avalanch
    Warcry
    Rammstein
    Korn

15. Phyxiator

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

After having seen them 3 times, each time having been a freaking devastating blast, I can actually truly recommend taking the opportunity to see one of their shows if you haven't already.

16. RottingxZombie

RottingxZombie Loaded Pockets

theyre playing next friday in my area with municipal waste and exhumed. i really cant think of a more killer lineup (well i can but still). my friend cant go though so ill either have to go by myself or not go at all.. decisions

17. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I'm into most sorts of music (I'm not a genre snob; if something is good, then that's great, but if it stinks then I'll avoid it), but I've always preferred black metal to death. I played drums in a BM band for a while, but have played bass in punk/hardcore type bands too as well as more 'commercial' sounding groups.
    I went through a doom/sludge phase around 10 years ago and still like a lot of it; one of my favourite bands ever was Iron Monkey.....brilliant stuff.
    My current favourites are:
    Ruins of Beverast
    Enslaved ('RIITIIR' is a great album)
    Peter Gabriel
    Nachtmystium
    Moss

Lots of stuff on my Mac and ipod, but my listening changes with my mood. I don't ALWAYS want metal. Sometimes I just want some classical or some delta blues...

18. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

wow, i didnt think id see any of this in this forum. im into metal but way more into punk and hardcore.
    hoping to be able to see infest and left for dead next year. i remember seeing municipal waste at the cambridge elks lodge and people brought boogie boards to crowd surf on.
    my top metal bands are:
    all out war
    slayer
    sepultura

other heavy hardcore you guys should check out:
    new lows
    mind eraser
    abomination
    blood for blood
    rude awakening
    incendiary
    suburban scum
    street sweeper

19. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

haha its funny to see this on here. i friend of mine was good friends with seth putnam.

20. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

Seth has called me "friend" on occasion.
    Also,
    INFEST!