1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heavily modified Zebra f701

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by rickinFL, Dec 3, 2011.

1. chas9rr

chas9rr Loaded Pockets

what i did for the space pen mod is to remove the plastic from the tip and then slice off the skinniest portion of the plastic tip... when you get it out, you will notice what i am talking about. you slice off about 1mm, then reinstall. this keeps the fisher from wobbling around when you write and allows it to extend and retract without binding. There is a mod thread with pics of this... i will see if i can find it...
    Charles

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the thread from Multitool.org that I read.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=13351.0

I've read that you should ream it out(which I did) or even remove it. That link says to modify the spring, but is that nessacary?

I just want it to click in & out smoothly.

3. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

That is a good write up. I do not use the space pen. I use the Zebra Gel. Either one you still have to take out the plastic insert. I use a reamer. All I do is catch the plastic with the teeth and pull it out.

The spring, I cut it and then stretch it if need be to get the clicker where I want it.

For my brass version I had to split the entire plastic insert to fit it in the brass tube. All of these mods are going to need your own adjustments.

Good luck.

4. jpage

jpage Loaded Pockets

I have just started doing mods to my F 701 and i am not a huge fan of the tip. Is there any other pen with a normal "cone" tip that is stainless and will fit?

5. chas9rr

chas9rr Loaded Pockets

The cone tip from the zebra 402 is a direct replacement for the one on the 701. Try it when you do the clicker mod.
    My personal 701 has the 402 clicker and clip ( I like the plain no name clip) with the 701 tip. One with the space pen mod, one with the normal zebra blue fine tip refill.
    Charles

6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Huh! I had a second complete 402. Now I have a working all stainless 701 with flame coloration on it!

I have what I THINK is a Uni-Ball Jetstream Roller Ball refill (because I LIKE those). It has a bold line and writes smooth!

7. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Loaded Pockets

I have the 402 tip on my 701. I reamed it out a little at a time until my fisher refill would fit just right. Had to add a little bitty filler as well because the 402 is slightly longer that the 701 tip.

8. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I have recently bought two 402's. Is the clip on the 701 more robust? The reason I am asking is because the clip on the 402 caught something while in my jeans pocket and was nearly broken off. Now it is bent and I am afraid to try bending it back into shape...just in case it does break.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eventually I cut the end off of the plastic nib...about 1/8". I had cut the spring short for the space pen refill and didn't like the way it clicked so I robbed a cheap free pen of it's spring(shorter) and went back to the refill that the 701 came with. The other day @ Staples (I'm pretty sure it was Staples and not Office Depot) I found pressured fine tip black refills for the 701! Here is a pic of the pen now. next to the 701 pencil I order online.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cutting the tip off of the nib didn't allow it to slide in any further as the outside of the nib still fits only so far down in the tip. The tip is only there to allow the spring a flat surface to rest on.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

In fact the only reason that the spring may need to be shortened is that the refill may have a "spring rest" closer to the point end of the pen. I like my set. It really only took changing the refill to the Zebra pressurized refill. With the Zebra brand no cutting/reaming of the nib is neccesary. Nor is a modded spring needed. Plus you can order the 701 pencil for a complete set. The only thing is that black plastic on the clicker end. I don't mind it. Especailly since its so much trouble to buy 401's and rob them of their clicky ends.

12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Are all Zebra metal ones pressurized or is this something else to be looking for?

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

my 701 came with a plastic refill. The pressurized one came in a 2 pack, separately.

14. Jester321

Jester321 Loaded Pockets

Hey can you repost picture so the f-701? They are all down now.

15. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Jester,

I had to take them off because my flickr acount was reaching the 100 photo limit. I'll see if I still have them.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I recently discovered that they weren't pressurized like I thought. The neck of the refill, under the spring, is still plastic.

17. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Use my 701 like crazy couldn't see giving it up.

18. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

Love these pens! I hope Rick can get the pictures back up cause this is the first chance I had to read through this thread and I would love see the pics of the modded pens.

19. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

One I just completed.
    [​IMG]

Sriracha likes this.
  20. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

That is so, so cool.