1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heavily modified Zebra f701

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by rickinFL, Dec 3, 2011.

1. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Most are familiar or should be familiar with what many consider to be THE edc pen, the ZEBRA F-701. I own a number of really nice pens including the most recent edition of a Ti embassy pen and I continue to come back to the humble 701. I love to tinker. This pen really lends itself to that. Thanks to a fellow forum member, I continue to learn about this pen. Besides the ZEBRA g-301 gel refill and the stainless clicker mod, I have found a bombproof coating for the barrel. The photo really does the pen little justice. I now LOVE the 701.
    [​IMG]

2. kadinh

kadinh Empty Pockets

Looks kinda like the rotring coating. Nice job. I like it.

3. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I carry the 701 daily as well with the all stainless mod. What is the coating? This looks sweet!

4. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

Love that pen! But I have to know, what is the knife?

5. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu 704. I'm sure it's a knockoff of something but for what I paid the blade is razor sharp. Now with the stonewashing i'm really pleased with it.

victograph likes this.
  6. Hellz

Hellz Loaded Pockets

Lovely looking combo! I'm a fan of Zebra pens too and always have a 301 compact with me. That 704 looks great, who did the work on it?

7. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

8. shadeone

shadeone Loaded Pockets

Maybe i cant tell cus I'm on my phone but is that a powdercoated one in the pic or a stonewashed one? Looks awesome either way!

9. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

Now look at what you've done... I'm not looking at my Zebra same anymore!!!

I want one!!! :drool:

10. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

So what is the coating on the pen?

11. TheTomas

TheTomas Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that looks great. I'd be interested in hearing about the coating too. My problem with it is the way it wears. The metal ring installed with the clicker to make the pen all metal is actually brass coated in stainless or chrome, so after a while it shows through, ruining the effect of an all stainless pen.otherwise it's a great EDC pen for a great price.

12. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Every good pen needs a pencil companion.
    [​IMG]

13. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I foresee a thriving new business for you in modifying pens for people.

14. TheTomas

TheTomas Loaded Pockets

I've been trying to figure out how to create a matching all metal pencil, but I wasn't able to figure out which combinations of pens and pencils I needed to buy to produce it. Do you have any advise on the subject?

15. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

F-701 Pen, M-402 Pencil. Put the M-402 in the freezer for about 15 minutes and heat the end with the clicky up with a lighter for a few seconds. You should be able to twist it off. This clicky mechanism is all metal, including the housing for the clicky part. Then you remove the pencil mechanism inside of it.

On the F-701, remove everything except for the body. Put the pencil mechanism inside the body, put on the clicky mechanism from the M-402 pencil on the end, then the pencil nib(pointy end) on. It all fits together pretty easily, and you have an all metal version in pencil.

Reference:

http://kirk.webfinish.com/2011/01/zebra-f701-pen-and-m701-pencil-set-with-serious-mods/

16. TheTomas

TheTomas Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks for the instructions and the link. That's actually where I learned about modding them in the first place, but I lost the page and hadn't been able to find it. I think I'll pick up a set of these next time I'm at Walmart. (best price I've seen on the 701)

17. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Love that pen too

18. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

That is also where I learned how to perform this operation. If there is any advice I can give after modding atleast a few of these now is not to use any tools when removing the clicker assembly. I scratched the assembly on my first try and that gets expensive. Finger pressure is all that is needed. Also don't over heat the plastic on the pencil just as the article states. Walmart does have the best price locally on the 701. Office Depot carries the F402/M402 pen pencil set at $10.00. By the time you finish modding for a pen and pencil you will be $22.00 into it. That is of course if you don't scratch the assemble and have to buy another set. Add a nice ROSETTA pen case from the ipen store online in napa leather and that will set you back another $12.00. Feel free to PM me with any questions regarding this mod if I can help.

19. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Are you going to tell us what the coating is?

20. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

After rereading the instructions carefully and having performed the operation a few times, I would change only one thing. The inner plastic sleeve should not be removed. If you do, the tip and the clicker assembly will have to be screwed in as a unit in order to keep everything tight as the plastic will spin in the cylinder. This makes it harder to switch out ink. Gel goes fast. A LONG freezer time and short burn is all you need to simply unscrew the assembly by hand. Remember, no tools. the first set cost me 31.00 and two trips to office depot because I tried to loosen with tools. If it doesn't come off, back in the freezer. For me the best heat source is a torch style lighter.
    Just a few tips that I hope will help.

Good luck.