1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heart set on volunteering in Africa

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Queen of Saigon, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

For a while, I've wanted a good excuse to travel. I'd figure volunteering with my certs would make good use, and I'd be made use of, regardless of which organization to go with. I'm just wondering if anyone has some experience going to any part of Africa, more within the parts that are firther away to the middle east.

2. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

Namibia-safer. Zimbabwe-Not! Zambia -probably ok. Always a need in the more rural areas. What area are you thinking? Medical, Education?

Queen of Saigon likes this.
  3. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

Trying to move more to the educational side of volunteering. Sort of a change from my experience from medical.

4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

There are several organizations with missions to South Africa; I've been hearing the calling as well.

5. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Think Botswana or Madagascar

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I'm going back to West Africa in a couple of weeks, for six months. Safety depends on what your standards are, where you'll be living and what risks you are willing to accept as 'daily life'. Submersing yourself in the community you choose will be obviously different than living in a guarded compound. I've found that being the foreigner is more of a novelty than a target. The people were more concerned about surviving another day than messing with us, but we were providing medical care. Everyone was quite glad to have us there, and treated us well.

Living anywhere in Africa has risks. Everything there is trying to kill you - the drivers, the climate, bacteria and viruses, things with big teeth, things with small teeth, things with poison, things that move around in the daytime and other things at night...

7. AlphaWhiskeyRomeo

AlphaWhiskeyRomeo Loaded Pockets

The State Department can provide you with up to the minute information. Don't be led into a false sense of security by avoiding Muslim heavy areas. The greatest asset is having at least a rudimentary understanding of the language where you plan to spend time. I've met some wonderful people in Africa, and I've met some who did not place a high value on my existence (sort of like most major US cities). Deeker pretty much nailed it above. Out of his list the greatest number of casualties I've seen have been from "bacteria and viruses". By the way...cutting an orange in half, placing one half on each side of your head and securing them with a rag will not cure amoebic dysentery!

8. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

That made me laugh - only because I can picture it exactly like that!