1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Heads up Aussie knife buyers!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Bloke, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

As of about 3 weeks ago the Aussie government changed the rules on what kinda knives can be imported into Australia.

All I wanted was a simple EDCF Spyderco Manix, but due to its thumb hole in the blade it can be opened single handed.

THIS IS A MASSIVE NO NO NOW!

Absolutely no knives, whatever brand, that can be opened single handedly can be imported into OZ.

They WILL be seized by Australia customs and most likely destroyed.

I am posting this thread because I'm currently going through this :censored: at the moment and have spoken directly with a nice, And very helpful lady at OZ customs several times on the phone.

Save yourselves, and Jon, the fuss and inconvenience, and don't even bother trying to buy a knife of the single handed opening kind from outside Australia. (Down near the bottom of the page http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp in the "bladed weapons" section )

You WILL lose it!

Oddly enough it was deemed perfectly ok for me to buy a Michael Morris drop point, and a Boker gnome (both fixed blades) in the same transaction/package.

Hopefully this thread will steer other Aussie knife buyers away from the frustration I've recently been subjected to.

Cheers

Phil :)

2. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Ugh..
    Thanks for the head's up, mate. Do you know if multitools that have an outside accessible, one handed opening knife will be seized? i.e. Leatherman Skeletool, Wave etc..
    I just had a LM Wingman imported a month or two ago, and I am having a relative in the U.S. send me over a Skeletool that I got for a bargain.

3. nw1911guy

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

Wow, knife laws are getting out of control. I don't understand how they think they can legislate a piece of personal equipment that has been around since man learned how to make his first blade from a rock.

Now with that in mind, I wonder what would happen if the knife was disassembled and handle shipped separately from the blade.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Because people allow them.

5. Brutis1111

Brutis1111 Loaded Pockets

Hey Mate,

Sorry to hear your knife was seized. I think you will find the reason isn't the thumb hole, but the axis lock. This style of lock has been frowned upon for quite awhile. The new laws have nly solidified this position. As a folding knife collector these new laws are making my hobby are real gamble.

As to nw1911guys thought of shipping disassembled, I have heard of some success with this method.

For more info, check either the Australian Blade Forum or Urban conquest, they both have great explanations of the new rules.

Thanks,

6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Is this happening at the airport with personal baggage or just in shipping? I may be traveling to Darwin quite a bit in the coming year.

7. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I can't tell you any more info than the lady at customs told me, and what is listed on the website link I posted.

Apparently multitools are a tentative ok .. But I can't say for sure.

The lady did mention if I wanted to buy bladed products from overseas I should check the website first and I can't find a definite answer to call customs. They a pretty cool to deal with in my experience. I never got any attitude from any of the people I've spoken to at customs yet.

Cheers

Phil :)

8. jnug

jnug Loaded Pockets

Boy there has been a good deal of knife legislation all over the place of late. Has not made much headway here in the states so far but it is worrisome.

I would bet that the reason the fixed blades are still being considered OK in Australia is because they are likely considered harder to conceal. A folder is easier to conceal and then fold out into a weapon. Might be something else but that would be my bet.

9. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I reckon ya could be at least partially correct. They had no problem at all with the package containing my MM EDCF Drop point and Boker Gnome and even included a note in the package saying so.

I am VERY disappointed I won't ever be legally able to own a Spyderco knife though. I'm not a criminal and only want to own a nice folding pocket knife after years of using average quality junk..

Oh well..at least in my short time here I managed to own an absolutely beautiful knife by Michael Morris..and it is magnificent! I won't buy anymore knives on the Internet after this debarcle. It's left a sour taste I won't soon forget.

But holding in my hands and using the MM drop point at least brings a smile and a warm, fuzzy feeling :smitten:

10. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

Oh and the boker Gnome is such a tiny little knife .. But with such a nice blade it lives in my pocket everyday no matter what clothes I wear, or where I am.

I ALWAYS carry a tiny flashlight..and right next to it is a tiny blade.

For work though I like bigger and more robust equipment which includes my LM Surge and Michael Morris EDCF drop point.

...I'm more than a little bit tempted to buy the MM EDCF Wharnie too... :drool:

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

As a citizen of the planet Earth that is not fair. One hand, axis locks or not, it is not fair. In my younger days I was involved in lots of bar brawls and the bar stool was my favorite weapon. Not a just law.

12. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply, Bloke!
    Looking forward to having my Skeletool, hope to god it doesn't get seized.
    As for importing knives disassembled, I have some experience with this. I took my Delica FFG and Persistence back to Aus by disassembling the parts and mailing the blades separately to myself, the parts went in my suitcase. I told them the parts were for knives I had back at home and they were okay with it, as long as it's not automatic. This was in Jan 2011 though, not sure if anything has changed. Hope you get your Spyderco someday!

13. Boumba

Boumba Loaded Pockets

I also recently looked into getting a few Spyderco knifes sent to me from overseas, and ran into the same problem.
    Customs said it was a big no-no now.

I did manage however to buy some locally, but at a much higher price.

http://cuttingedgeknives.com.au/

These guys have a lot of Spyderco knives available, and they were pretty good to deal with.

Got myself a nice Delica FFG also.

14. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately down here in Oz a lot of our legislation is "thunk up and passed" by "nuffies" who are employed by the government to do a vague job and meet a vague quota.

Trouble is in our major cities there are a diverse range of cultures.. And consequently an even vaster range of core values.

The average Aussie joe really is a laid back bloke/bloke-ette who is interested in nothing more than a casual and friendly peaceable existence.

Throw a whole different culture of radical extremist immigrents into the melting pot and ya up with some hideously conflicting views on what is right and what is wrong.

We are a nation of only about 23 million. Not many compared to the good old US of A

Which means the law of averages make for some..umm .. Interesting general legislation

It seems like every night on the local news we hear about yet another knife attack.

So the knee jerk reaction by our law makers means ever tightening laws.

Boiled down, some stupid phuk stik with a knife attacks an average joe citizen.

Knee jerk reaction follows

Some tosser in some government department thinks up a new law that they think will prevent further similar crimes..

The majority of the sane general public suffers....

15. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

:'(
    I can say with confidence that will never happen :'(

16. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

Man that sucks. I really feel for you guys. A good knife is an invaluable tool. The knife, the fire and the wheel are what set us apart from every other creature on this planet. No human should be without the first two.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of people are good people and should be allowed to carry any knife or weapon that they choose. Yes, even guns. Fact is, if you make knives illegal... only criminals carry knives. Age old argument, I know, but still true.

It's a slippery slope. Next week they'll be banning larger kitchen knifes and knitting needles.

17. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I wish Australia's laws weren't so stupid. It seems like it would be a very cool place to live, but I would have to give up almost everything I hold dear to me.

18. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Booo for stupid knife laws, regardless of nation.

I always had the perception that Aussieland would have had fairly liberal laws in that regard. Can't think of any idea why I would have realistically believed that though, maybe a case of watching too many bad movies.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty Bloke. Always sucks when the gov't decides to do something stupid like that, I can only imagine how much longer our officials put through something like that here too.

But at least you got some cool cars down there though. Maybe go get yourself a late model Bathurst Monaro and be a menace in other ways... :laugh:

19. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Loaded Pockets

You were probably thinking what I was thinking...

[video=youtube;01NHcTM5IA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4[/video]

(Though I imagine that's actually considered an offensive Australian stereotype these days.)

20. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

There is always New Zealand :-X:-X