1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Headlamp vs. Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bigonion, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bigonion

bigonion Empty Pockets

has anyone else found a headlamp to be more useful than a flashlight? I just swapped out my flashlight for a Petzl headlamp - its great! Takes two AAA batteries, has multiple settings as well as a spotlight for longer distance viewing. Takes up less room in my bag and keeps both hands free.

2. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

To me, they are chalk and cheese. I carry a flashlight (Surefire E1B Backup) on me at all times. I also, however, have a Petzl headlamp in my Falcon II, which goes everywhere I go. The Backup, with its 2 light levels, is wonderfully versatile if you need to search for something (low power) or gain a tactical advantage (high power). I keep it usually in the small pocket of my 5.11s. On the other hand, hiking up a trail at night, the headlamp is a must. And it's also handy when I need to use both hands on a dimly lit project. I'd never be without both!

3. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I carry both , they do different jobs and don't conflict . I also carry an E1B , it's way too powerfull for a lot of task light tasks , even on low . The Petzel headlamp gives me about three working days on three AAA's , can't beat it with a stick . Horses for courses !

Chris

4. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Which is which?

5. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

My Zebralight goes in (well, on) my head and spreads a creamy smooth beam, so cheese.
    My E1B has enough throw to project a white line down the street, so chalk.

But yeah, I carry and love both for what they do.  =)

Offtopic: I dunno about Petzl. I love the overall design and specs of their headlamps, but they outright tell you NOT to use lithium primaries and their headlamps are mostly not dunkproof. I like the E+Lite but I'm not a big fan of their other models.

6. peacefuljeffrey

Except for simply forgetting to do it, I was going to set up a thread specifically about how incredibly important it is to have a headlamp.
    Seriously, when you need a headlamp, YOU NEED ONE. And it doesn't matter if you have a SureFire Kroma that you spent hundreds on, you might benefit from a $10 Eveready headlamp when you won't have a hand free for your task.

It's funny that I spotted this thread when I did, because I just finished replacing a battery in my Casio G-Shock watch and used my Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp! :thumbsup:

(My Aurora, by the way, has gotta be at least six years old. I have to wonder if there are more current ones that are now brighter...)

7. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: I remember times when I was working on my computer and wished I had a headlamp. Too many times to count.

I'm a fan of the Zebralights for their versatility. It can be used as a headlamp and as a hand held flashlight, best of both worlds.

8. gadget_addict

gadget_addict Empty Pockets

While the output isn't as nearly matchable to most headlamps have you thought about the Petzl e+LITE? It uses 5mm LEDs so for close-up applications that should be suitable enough. And the fact it's fully enclosed in its own case you could probably fit a few spare cells in there as well to ensure it keeps on running. I have bought several as gifts along with one for myself. It's one of those things where it's so small and light you can stow it away and pretty much forget about it until you need it.

9. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

I've got a small light on my keychain that comes in handy simply because it's always there.

Overall, however, I much prefer my headlamp. I can hold it in my hand if need-be, but generally it goes where it's designed for so that I am hands-free. If it's on my head it's looking the same way that I am, so this is convenient no matter if I'm working in a small space, caving or hiking at night. There are too many times I've had to hold a flashlight in my mouth because there wasn't enough room to get a light past my big ole head :brickwall: the headlamp solves this problem pretty conveniently (and with less slobber!)

10. stevoman

stevoman Empty Pockets

I don't use a headlight as I haven't found one that is comfortable, performant and affordable, but the conventional wisdom is that when wearing a lamp on the head, it won't throw effective shadows from rocks and depressions in the ground (on a rough trail for example), meaning that the view is somewhat washed out, and flat looking.

Some people find this more tiring, and means that they are more likely to trip than when using an off axis (ie. hand held) lamp which throws more visible terrain shadows.

Having said that, I would get one for backup and map reading purposes if I could find a good one cheaply. They're also useful for hands-free work of course.

11. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Oh yes, I've loved headlamps ever since I got my Petzl (which I EDCed until I got a ZebraLight).

But this is really a case where the best answer is BOTH. Personally I dislike headlamps with narrow beams, so the Zebra is perfect for me. It's an excellent flood-light for all-around use, and when I need more throw, I use a handheld flashlight.

12. stevoman

stevoman Empty Pockets

Hmm, I wonder if there are any good suppliers/makers of zebralight style headbands and clips for attaching ordinary flashlights up there.

I have some AAA fenix lights that could do the job quite well I suspect.

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Nite Ize makes one, but it might be a bit big.

14. Enkidu
    • In Omnia Paratus

Enkidu Loaded Pockets

+1 on the NiteIze headband,It's a piece of 1 inch webbing with velcro (size) adjustment, it has 2 different sizes elastic loops to fit flashlights from AAA up to and including CR123's.
    I use a Fenix P2D Q5, and fits perfectly, the headband can be folded double, 14.5 mm x 25mm x 20mm folded, can't go wrong here imho

15. stevoman

stevoman Empty Pockets

Perfect - fenix L0D CE / E0 + lipsalve cap diffuser + £5 NiteIze band will probably have a similar effect to an expensive headlamp :)

16. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

On all of my scout campouts, the general rule has been to use a headlamp. Having both hands free is a big safety factor. In the years past, I had a few kids, myself included, who used the Nite Ize band. I still edc the band because it takes up very little space.

17. stevoman

stevoman Empty Pockets

Actually, I'm feeling cheap uh.. creative.

So, armed with some pieces of neoprene offcuts from some old potholing socks, some elastic from an old boxing groin guard, a needle and thread, and the special kind of confidence reserved only for the truly clueless, I've decided to make my own

18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I use a headlight only when I walk the dog at night. Other than that, I use a flashlight.

19. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

Another vote for both. Have my keychain fenix lod-ce and a petzl tikka xp headlamp and use both for different purposes.

20. bigonion

bigonion Empty Pockets

this is exactly what made me switch to a headlamp! Walking my two black Labs in the dark was gonna be the death of me...or at least one of my arms!