1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Headed to Africa

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Zatx, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

At the end of this year I'm leading a mission team to Tanzania for two weeks.

My load out will be built around the Maxpedition Fliegerduffel Adventure Bag. I'm an EMT so I'll have various medical related items stored/attached via pouches to the outside of the Fliegerduffel. Despite these attachements I'll still maintain the airline carry on requirements with the exception of one bag I feel is pretty important.... The Maxpedition 10x4 water bottle holder.

One of the main challenges of going to Africa is clean drinking water, so here is where I'm seeking the advice of all of you.

1.) What bottle/filtration system should I get that will fit in this bag.
    2.) How can I attach the water bottle holder to the Fliegerduffel in a way that it can be quickly removed so the bag will maintain its carry on dimensions?
    3.) Also looking for a metal cup that can go at the bottom of the water bottle compartment.

Last edited by Zatx, Jan 8, 2015
  2. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

Checkout the website Lonely Planet as a starting point.

3. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

I have this bag it's very versatile and durable.

4. Fire50

Fire50 Loaded Pockets

Theres a Skeletonized water bottle holder that attaches to molle by ITS Tactical. It can acomodate different size bottles, Jet boil, etc. I think Its great what your doing. Please post pics when you return.

5. sgt253

sgt253 Loaded Pockets

Check out Sawyer water filtration products. Perfect for your trip. Good luck.

6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Steri-Pen used in conjunction with a Sawyer squeeze filter. (The point one system).

7. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I don't know much about water filtration but sawyer has a water purification system with i think .02 microns?i would'nt take a squeeze filter there unless it's a back up.probably a good idea to use purification pills too.

rongallant likes this.
  8. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I've done extended anti-bushmeat patrols (in the Cross River National Park, contiguous across Nigeria / Cameroon), and the following kept me healthy:

- Wherever possible, take water from fast flowing streams, and upstream of known villages/camps).
    - I carried one collapsed plastic water bottle (the type Evian comes in) in the compression straps of my pack.
    - I used the above to fill a 'Water-to-go' filter bottle (google that). I carried two of these per 14 day trip.
    - I squeezed the water from the above bottle into a camelbak 'Eddie', which, if I felt like it needed it, I zapped with a Steri-pen.

I stored the camelback in a ziplock bag, and cleaned if inside and out with boiled, sterlised water when we made camp.

I managed to stay free of disease, despite some of the shocking pollution we uncovered in parts of the forest downstream of enclave villages.

I did, however pick up Bilharzia on two out of five trips, from river crossings (the same rivers I was taking drinking water from).

I did most of those trips with a Kifaru x-Ray (which I use for work/edc here in the UK now), one trip with a Kifaru pointman (too big, too hot, drove me nuts). On the last trip I took a Gregory Baltoro hiking pack, and it was much lighter but did sustain a few tears and a broken plastic 'wing' on the waist-belt.

I had to carry almost everything I flew in with whilst on patrol, so a duffle wasn't an option for me. If it was, I think I'd have been fine with one of the ubiquitous North Face ones... some of my colleagues have put those through the ringer and they seem bombproof.

ManVsLawn, TomWelch and bigfoot like this.
  9. airwayguru

airwayguru Loaded Pockets

I travel to Africa on a regular basis. As for water filtration I carry the Steri pen for personal use in my water bottle. I alos have a hydration pack with a inline filter between the bag and the mouth piece. When I get a chance I always buy bottle water and fill my bottle and bladder up before going out to do what I am doing with the team.

As for equipment I will personal message you and forward anything you might need for your trip and any other helpful information you might need since I work missions full time.

TomWelch and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys. For some reason I was having trouble viewing my own thread and missed all of these replies (nothing showed up in my Alert box).

I will be based out of a local orphanage so clean water will be provided while in camp. I'm just contingency planning in case of emergency, vehicle break down, civil unrest, or just simply getting lost in the bush. As such the water filtration system needs to be portable and doesn't have to provide vast quantities of water.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

11. shadowolf713

shadowolf713 Loaded Pockets

My thought is the life straw.