1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HDS Replacement Recommendation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Cprrckwlf, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

After EDCing it for years I've managed to lose my HDS clicky. I'm in no position to get another, so what should I be looking at?

Survey with comments below, forgive me if most of it matches the HDS I did a lot of research back in the day before I selected it, I'm guessing there are quite a few good options that have sprung up since then:

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    Any and every situation I need a light in. I generally have a small light on a keychain or whatever, but I only ever think of my main light.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    This is likely to be the Christmas list, I'll assume it will be an online purchase.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [x] $40-60 <-- Best
    [x] $80-$120 <-- Acceptable

4) Format:
    PART A
    [x] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [x] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
    closer to the 4" mark than the 2"

PART C
    Width:
    [X] I prefer a short wide light.
    1" diameter is ideal

PART D
    Weight:
    [x] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag
    [x] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag
    around 4oz with battery is about perfect

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [x] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    [x] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
    single CR123

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [x] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)
    Anywhere from 100-250 is fine. Don't want less, don't care about more so don't think you've got to recommend the brightest thing out there.

8) Throw vs Flood:
    Throw (distance)--------X-------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime:
    [x] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
    1-2hrs high

10) Durability:
    [x] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
    [x] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    [x] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
    [x] momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)
    forward clickie, I'd explore some type of rotary option

12) Switch Location:
    [x] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [x] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
    H-M-L, strobe is a big bonus, firefly is a small one

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
    [x] I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned?
    REQUIRED:
    [x] Must come on/momentary at high power

Would Really Really Like:
    [x] High CRI

Would Really Like:
    [x] Crenelated Bezel
    [x] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

Preferred, but can live without:
    [x] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    [x] Belt/Jacket clip / [x] Wrist/Neck Lanyard Compatible
    (I'm guessing I lost the HDS when a jacket hem snagged the clip and pulled it out, not sure how I will carry the replacement, probably a lanyard. With a clip I'd prefer bezel down.)

I've not looked at lights in years so I really have no idea what's out there. High CRI options I could definitely use the help on.

Back when selecting the HDS I looked a lot at Eagletac, Surefire and Four Sevens and I've owned a number of smaller Fenix lights. Of the little research I've done this go around something like the NITECORE P05 looks pretty good.

Thanks all.

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Holliday and Mickey Holmes like this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

How bout the nitecore ex11.2?

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have found it pretty easy to buy lightly used HDS lights so far for cheap.
    Nothing else is really an HDS.
    I have several that I paid $100-150 for.
    Don't settle for less!

5. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

TKC I was already familiar with Malkoff drop-ins; didn't know they were making some full lights. Unfortunately, Malkoffs are going to break the budget no matter which way I try to go.

Westerdutch Do you have a link for that one? I can't find it on their site. Right now I do have the MT1C, the SRT3 Defender and the P05 on the list. I don't remember looking at any Nitecores the last time around, they certainly have some interesting options.

EZDog I am so with you; still can't believe I lost mine. I think whoever drew me for Christmas would murder me if I asked them to watch the forums for a flashlight, but I'm checking myself. Funds are very tight (gone back to school after almost 20 years!) but I did just start a new part-time so maybe some months down the road... I think I am going to check "inventory" (other lights, knives, etc.) and see about a WTT thread.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Ahw dang, in my mind that was a 'modern' light but turns out its been out of production for quite a while now.... Buddy of mine has one and its really pretty awesome. It was one of their piston drive lights, but looks like they quit that idea entirely. Shame...

enenra likes this.
  7. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Hey, no worries. I appreciate any and all suggestions and without it I likely wouldn't have parsed through the entire Nitecore site.

8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Save up. Get another HDS. I really wanted to hate them having had to wait so long but I don't and can't dislike them. They work, the color is great, tough. I bought a rotary double AA tube for the house. It is the most used light in my house. The kids torture that thing.

Kev2488 likes this.
  9. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I do love my hDS quite a bit but sticking with your criteria I would have to recommend the Streamlight Pro Tac 1L. I use the hell out of it and have not been disappointed. $35, 180 lumens, 1" metal body, comes on high first click, runs on 1 cr123 battery, non reflective black, and has the push switch on the back

Kev2488 likes this.
  10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I finally snapped and ordered the AA tube myself on Turkey Day!
    It was a lot cheaper than a whole new light and it dawned on me that I don't need a whole new light to get one!
    Now the wait.

Kev2488 and Mumbojumboo like this.
  11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

I bought a hi cri 200 and put the head on my old 123 body. Good gravy that's a pretty light.

The AA tube reminds me of an old Maglite but on steroids.

[​IMG]WIN_20161126_171224 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am not sure yet which head I will use it with but then thats half the fun isn't it!

And thinks for the Pic,just to drive me crazy until the tube arrives!

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ha!
    I think it just helps drive home the point that there is nothing else out there to replace an HDS with?!
    Once you have had one it is tough to go back.

15. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Your price range is acceptable at $120, so what's wrong with a Malkoff MDC in either AA or 123 flavor? There is no replacement for an HDS but Malkoff isn't far behind and at a better price point although without all the bells and whistles.

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

TKC likes this.
  16. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Ack! No more pictures of HDSs @ least not right now!
    USMC1911er The ProTac 1L does look pretty good. How's the fast-click and hold interface? On the instruction sheet it sounds slightly awkward, but I'm guessing it's not too different from the turn on and then fast click of the HDS.

Kev2488 (and TKC) I don't think I focused in on the prices on the Malkoff site being in CAD instead of USD. Noticing that, I need to go back and take another look. Thanks for the idea.

Mumbojumboo and Kev2488 like this.
  17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

The questionnaire is so out dated and doesn't reflect modern lights all that well.

Malkoff anything is awesome.

You might consider a Zebra SC 52 D. I work carry, pocket drop, and tail spin the back. Many years of perfect performance.

[​IMG]mumbo lights 2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

[​IMG]mumbo dumpo 1_25_16 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

twin63 likes this.
  18. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

You mean the lumen count, the maglite comparisons and the incandescent bulbs? :) I was well aware of it as I filled the thing in. Thought about trying to revamp it as I went through but (until now) I haven't looked at lights all that recently. Besides, even when I am up to speed I can't hold a candl(nevermind) to the guys over at CPF, where it came from.

Think the battery section needs a good workover, too. (Speaking of, it seems like there are a FAR fewer 1xCR123s than the last time I did this.)

I'll put another tick by Malkoff.

Want this one to be tail switch, so the zebra is out right now but I have been considering one for the my spares bag down the road. That bag currently has a Maratac AA and a Beta QR v2. Both fine enough, but I've been carrying a head twist CR123 for my temporary main and it's starting to drive me mad (esp. since the one in my pocket has a tendency to untwist the head straight off while I walk). At this point the only twisty I'm still really happy with is the Maratac TPF I wrote a review of a good time back. Keep that one clipped onto my wallet.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Oh the struggle we endure. You know. I haven't gone Haiku yet, but it's coming. Hahahaha!

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  20. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I did not have any issue with the interface and I am kind of a flashlight idiot. I actually preferred the setting it came with, but I like my lights to come on in high on the first click then low. I never use any of the medium power levels so most of the cool stuff on flashlights is wasted on me. I have "better" lights but it gets most of my pocket time.

Cprrckwlf likes this.