1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HDS repairs

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by twoisone, May 12, 2019.

1. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Anybody ever replace the rubber switch on a rotary HDS themselves? It would be around $100 usd shipping to have this done by Henry. I’d have to sell one light to fix another. Lol!

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've never owned or repaired an HDS, or for that matter seen one in person. So take my advice with the appropriate grains of salt.

If you look inside the battery tube towards the tail, is there a ring visible with two dimples in it below and around the battery spring?

If there is, you should be able to open it using the tips of a pair of needle-nose pliers, pressing the tips down firmly into the dimples while unscrewing the ring.

If that works, you have disassembled the tail, with the spring, the dimpled ring, the switch, and the switch cover (or in the case of the HDS Rotary, button) all separated from the battery tube and ready for repair or replacement.

3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Unfortunately, (or fortunately for durability) there is an actual locking mechanism keeping the rotary tailcap from being opened. The battery compartment on an HDS is in the forward portion of the light.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

SOYCD posted instructions HERE if you want to give it a try.

twoisone and chaosmagnet like this.
  5. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I’d looked at that. Wish he’d shown what the rubber boot looks like to remove instead of just greasing it.