1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

HDS 42XR Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Buffalohump, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Hey dudes,

I just posted a review of this light on my blog.

check it out at http://hardusegear.blogspot.com/

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I have yet to master the art of posting pics on the blog. I'm sure its easy, but have not had the time to look into it. If you want to see pics of the light, there are plenty scattered around the forum.

All comments welcome

thanx  ;)

2. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

BTW, if you have an ultimate model, you can program your initial light to come on full brightness if you want. Actually, if you are willing to click a lot, you can do it on a basic as well.

-john

3. Buffalohump

Hi,

Mine is the basic model, so not programmable.

I actually prefer the primary level, as the battery lasts longer that way. I just wish there was an easier way to get the brightest level to come on.

4. Hatinthering

Hatinthering Loaded Pockets

Buffalohump -

I have a HDS B42XRGT and have programed it to turn on at the last level I used.
    Go over to Candlepower Forums and search the HDS area under "Manufacturer's Corner" on
    there for a thread called "Reprograming Basic 42". There you will find all the info you need
    to program your Basic HDS light. It takes a bit of doing, but its worth it I believe. Gives new value to your Basic light.

Rob

5. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Actually, it is! It will give you a thumb cramp tho! :)

Well, you could swap secondary and max making it easier, but personally I think the only way to have a foolproof, "tactical friendly" setup is to make primary the bright level. You can see how I've set mine up in this thread.

In any case, thanks for the review and enjoy your light!

-john

6. Buffalohump

Hey guys,

Wow, that's good to know. In truth, I'm a fairly low-tech kinda guy. I bought the HDS because a) the price was right and b) people who had one really seemed to enjoy them. I think the primary level on the 42 is a good compromise between brightness and run time. If I hear something outside the house at O dark hundred, I always reach for my Surefire 6P on my nightstand, but my HDS is my EDC light and perfect for most tasks. Glad you enjoyed the review. Pics are coming, I promise. ;)