1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Switchback - Where have you been all my life?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lokkenjawnz, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I reckon the Switchback will be my next bag!

2. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

As you wish...

[​IMG]

3. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

As you wish...

[​IMG]

4. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Just got mine in the mail today. I haven't loaded it up yet, but I can tell already that it is going to carry well.

5. lokkenjawnz

lokkenjawnz Loaded Pockets

Huh, that actually looks like it fits! Does it seem like it could comfortably sit in there all day? My thought is that the large center compartment has no organization, but a Kato sure does! And a nice taste of modularity to boot, my kind of bag! Now if only I could afford it. :D

6. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Loads of new pics of this on the Hazard 4 website now!

7. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I'm loving the one on the right! I think that would be the perfect size for a bag setup for me. I'm still running around with a cheaper full size pack that doesn't offer many options besides the typical stuff.

sx7

Last edited by Sniperx7, Dec 22, 2012
  8. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Sniperx7 - if you haven't seen it, have a look at TARFU's review of the Kato, on the right http://edcforums.com/threads/tarfus-hazard-4-kato-messenger-picture-heavy.91815/

Sniperx7 likes this.
  9. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

It would certainly fit comfortably in the Switchback all day if you wanted and would also provide additional storage space for a laptop (in the hydration pouch space) that wouldn't fit comfortably in the Kato.

10. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

TARFU's review is excellent and what put me over the top to purchase the Kato. After using it for a while and traveling with it on a few trips, I really like the bag when you don't need much space. Also, if you want to carry a laptop, your choices are somewhat limited. I have an ASUS UX21 that is about the same size as the MBA and fits nicely in the main compartment with a tablet in the rear pocket. If you use a laptop any larger than that, things get tight. I can fit my Dell XPS 13 in the main compartment but it makes it too tight to put my tablet (with a cover) in the tablet compartment in the rear. I can put both my Dell and tablet in the main compartment but not much else in there. It's fine if I need to just run around town but not really useful for me on longer trips unless I use my ASUS. The Sherman very much takes care of that problem in addition to having the capability of carrying 8.5" x 11" documents without having to fold them. Just a few thoughts.

11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I'm finding the side pocket with the elastic strap to be a little strange, and the strap very difficult to remove from the webbing. I will probably just the strap in a drawer, since the pocket works very well for a 32 oz Nalgene without it. Weird strapping aside, the Switchback is the best sling I've ever owned.

12. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I agree with you. I like the zipper to expand the pouch but think I can do without the strange strap as well. I'm looking forward to my first trip where I can really wring it out and see how it works for me. I guess for now I will have to be content with wearing it around the house.

Do you have any plans to add any pouches? I added the Koala pocket tool/flashlight pouch to mine below the admin pouch to hold a flashlight but not sure if I will keep it there. I mounted a smartphone pouch for my mobile wifi inside the admin area but am not sure if I will leave it there. I am thinking of adding the flip magazine/bottle pouch somewhere to hold power supplies. I did this with my Plan B and it has been useful.

13. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I've got a large Koala I will probably lash to the shoulder strap for my phone, and the Molle sheath that came with my leatherman to the right side somewhere. I want to keep its lines as clean as possible.

14. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

I now have a big problem.... I can't decide what colour switchback to get!

I was thinking coyote because most of my other bags are coyote and I therefore already have a good assortment of pouches to add on to this in colours that will go with it should I find I need to add more pouches to it (unlikely for the daily commuting use).

But then I saw the excellent photos in this thread of it in black and thought it looks really smart in black, although if I want to add on other pouches I'll need to buy new ones in black so they'll match. I have a black "big koala" which I'd put on the shoulder strap for phone and pen already...

Update...

Problem solved! Went for it in black as (a) it's a change from all the coyote, (b) it looks really smart in black and (c) the Mrs pointed out that black will look more "professional" for work.

15. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

An excellent choice for all stated reasons! I'm looking at a sea of black bags right now (Switchback, All Hazards Prime and attached Moab 6).

16. TallNHairyDave

TallNHairyDave Loaded Pockets

Thanks mate. Looking forward to it arriving :) (with luck tomorrow, or failing that Monday)

The Mrs rolled her eyes when I said I'd ordered it, sighed and poked me in the ribs, saying "Another bag?"

TARFU likes this.
  17. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Holy Christmas! Just saw this thread. Oh man, another Hazard4 bag! This is getting to be an obsession. I just received a Hazard4 Evac-Take Down and it appears to be a great bag, especially for transporting, well....you know what.

18. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Cool! I was looking at getting one myself. I would be interested to hear how it carries fully loaded. My only hesitation (apart from buying yet another bag) is how well it carries 12-15 pounds of "equipment" and how comfortable it is.

19. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Is this a bag (due to it's depth, etc.) that you wish after using it, that it had backstraps instead of the single strap???
    Thanks.

20. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Absolutely not. The way the strap is designed (a little offset allowing the bag to hang more straight up and down and centered on your back) it carries like a two strap backpack but retains the advantages of a sling bag that are desirable for me. I travel a lot and find a sling bag very useful for me for a variety of reasons. I like the ease at which you can get to things by simply pulling it around to the front without having to remove it. Very useful for getting boarding passes or other items easily. In crowds (like on a train) I like to pull it around to the front so I can better keep an eye on it and keep it from hitting others. When I am in a cab or other vehicle, I keep my bag with me rather than putting it in the trunk and just sit with it still on but to the front. If I were hiking some distance with a bag, I would not choose a single strap bag but for travel (for me anyway) I find them to be ideal for most of my needs. I don't believe that there is a single ideal bag for all situations or for all people and that it really depends upon your intended usage, load for the occasion and other factors that may change on a regular basis.