1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Switchback - Where have you been all my life?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lokkenjawnz, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I would REALLY like one of these packs.........the Rocket packs are too narrow for my needs, but this looks nice.
    I'm considering a MOAB10, which I could try in real life within a 50 mile radius of my home (!!!), but I'd have to go on reviews on this one.

2. oneeyesquare

oneeyesquare Loaded Pockets

The Moab 10 is a nice pack, but the strap is skinny. My normal loadout of 10#-12# was uncomfortable. My Rocket is super comfy at the same. Switchback looks nice.

ty_higg likes this.
  3. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

The skinny strap is the reason I rarely use my Sitka.....the big FAT Hazard 4 strap looks good. I don't like the price though.

4. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

I agree about the strap on the Moab 10. I have traveled all over the world with mine and have to be mindful of the weight or it gets uncomfortable. My Plan B is definitely more comfortable with moderate loads but I can't get as much in them. My Switchback and Sherman are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I do like the comfort of the wider straps and have been wanting a Hazard4 bag with a little more capacity particularly for travel use.

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Hey, I don't get the Sherman until Thursday. When you get yours, can you confirm that the strap includes a shoulder pad? I couldn't confirm that in any of the pictures Haz4 had on their site and if it doesn't have one then I'm going to order it.

6. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Will do. I looked back at all the pictures I could find and it is strange that none of them show any kind of shoulder pad with the Sherman pictures. The catalog also does not show any pad on the Messenger of Doom. Wondering if anyone out there has one of those and if they come with a shoulder pad despite them not showing one in the catalog pictures.

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well, I hope it does because that would be kind of lame otherwise. The Tonto and the Kato have them and they are less expensive bags.

8. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

Biomike - would you be able to post a couple of photos of the inside/organisation in the Switchback when you get it - you're getting the two bags that I'm trying to choose between, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks dude.

9. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

still waiting for mine:frantic:

10. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

I'll certainly see what I can do.

11. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

No shoulder pad. Also, the strap is a bit short. I'm 5' 11" and had to max it out to get it where I want it. Here is a picture with my Kato for some scale.

[​IMG]

Sniperx7 likes this.
  12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

No pad. Wow. That's going to be a black mark. The bag costs too much to require an additional purchase of a shoulder pad. It drives me crazy when companies do this.

zenpunk likes this.
  13. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Jules - There are a few features that I never saw described in the catalog. On the outside of the administrative area, there is a small zippered access to storage in the flap, seen here:

[​IMG]

On the right side is a pocket that will easily hold a water bottle and on the left side is a similar pocket with a zipper to let it expand and some webbing to secure whatever is in the pocket. The main compartment has a lot more room than the Plan B. Here is my Dell XPS 13 in the main compartment:

[​IMG]

There are two mesh pockets on the inside, a larger one on top and a smaller one at the bottom. They are secured with zippers on the side situated such that when you swing the bag around to the front and open the main compartment, they then open facing up. Here are the mesh pockets:

[​IMG]

On the back of the main compartment, there are two pockets allowing for thin items:

[​IMG]

They hydration pocket is sufficiently large that a manila folder, magazine, etc. will fit easily. This was one of my main complaints with the Plan B for business use. Here is the hydration pocket:

[​IMG]

I think I am really going to like this bag. It sits well on my back and has just enough more space than my Plan B to make it a little more practical for traveling. I have not tried it with a heavy load yet, but it seems to sit much more securely on my back than my Moab 10.

Hope this was helpful.

Jules, Myrddraal and TARFU like this.
  14. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks for posting these!

15. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

[quote="biomike, post: 1391166, member: 39108"

I think I am really going to like this bag. It sits well on my back and has just enough more space than my Plan B to make it a little more practical for traveling. I have not tried it with a heavy load yet, but it seems to sit much more securely on my back than my Moab 10.

Hope this was helpful.[/quote]

Thanks very much Mike, that's awesome. As you say, there are several things not shown or mentioned by H4 in heir literature. I think you've made up my mind for the Switchback. Love the pack and looks like it has some great features. Also it would mean I could do without my Flip-pouch.

One last thing though, how big is it on your back? - there's loads of pics of people wearing the Plan B etc. and Maxpedition, for example, always have show their packs on a person/dummy to give an idea of size. If you get a chance, a photo on you or next to your Plan B would be really helpful.

Thanks again dude.

16. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Thanks very much Mike, that's awesome. As you say, there are several things not shown or mentioned by H4 in heir literature. I think you've made up my mind for the Switchback. Love the pack and looks like it has some great features. Also it would mean I could do without my Flip-pouch.

One last thing though, how big is it on your back? - there's loads of pics of people wearing the Plan B etc. and Maxpedition, for example, always have show their packs on a person/dummy to give an idea of size. If you get a chance, a photo on you or next to your Plan B would be really helpful.

Thanks again dude.[/quote]

Not a problem. I couldn't get a good picture of me wearing it but here are a few of the Switchback next to the Plan B so you can get a feeling for size. One thing that I have noticed about this bag compared to the Plan B and Moab 10 is that the bag seems to sit straight up and down on your back rather than angled like with the others. It seems to be more stable when you bend over as well. Here are a few pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quantum, Sniperx7 and Jules like this.
  17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Seems like it would more practical than say... the Maxpedition Kodiak, which lacks the strap and overall design to carry a heavier load.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

18. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

That's brilliant. Thanks very much Mike - in a few hours, you've filled the void H4 have left in their catalogue. I'll be ordering mine straight after Christmas - not too many places in he UK have them on sale yet.

I'll be interested to see what you and TARFU have to say about it in use, but comparing it to the Sherman, from what you've shown already - it's definitely the Switchback for me.

Thanks again buddy - great pics.

19. biomike

biomike Loaded Pockets

Glad I could help. For me, my greatest need is while traveling since I work from home. My first guess would be that I will use the Switchback more as it seems to address the shortcomings that the Plan B has for my travel needs (except that the Plan B fits nicely under the seat in front of me on a plane and leaves enough room to at least put one foot under the seat). Time will tell...

20. lokkenjawnz

lokkenjawnz Loaded Pockets

Those pictures are awesome, thanks biomike! I've just had a strange idea though, and a request to go with it: does the Kato fit in the main compartment of the Switchback? And if it does, could you get a shot of it? I'm having a bit of a mad-bag-scientist moment here, hoping we can get some sweet Hazard 4 Voltron action here.

Trailpsycho likes this.