1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Second Front - Worth it?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by LoFiMofo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. LoFiMofo

LoFiMofo Empty Pockets

I have always used slings as my EDC. I haven't purchased a quality bag yet. I own the Red Rock rover and rambler. I also just purchased a Satcom bag from Countycomm. I'm ready to get a quality two strap backpack with plenty of room. Hazard 4 makes the Second Front rotatable backpack that has some characteristics of a sling. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, that being said, has anyone ever owned or seen one before?

2. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

This bag has long been in my shortlist; great looks and pocket until TARFU said the waist straps are not detachable - that's cumbersome to EDC not unless you use it solely for hikes.

3. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

This bag has long been in my shortlist; great looks and pocket until TARFU said the waist straps are not detachable - that's cumbersome to EDC not unless you use it solely for hikes.

4. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

I own this bag and I love it. Posted a few pics here http://edcforums.com/threads/d552s-edc.119819/ Any questions let me know. One thing I will mention that I real enjoy about this pack…the pockets can all oriented so that they can be accessed easily with my right hand. What I mean is the pack sits in the passenger seat of my vehicle (work vehicle and personal vehicle). So when the pack is in the passenger seat, the pockets can quickly be accessed from the driver’s seat with my right hand. This small feature is critical for me because I spend a lot of time in either one of these vehicles and being able to reach out and access the stuff in my pack is so helpful. Hope that makes sense because I haven’t heard anyone else mention it in other reviews.

5. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Thanks, love the looks of the bag but to be used as an urban edc going from but to subway may not be so ideal due to the permanent waist straps as mentioned by "man of bags" - TARFU!. Most of the time in your commute in the crowd, you will be obliged to take-off your pack and having extra buntings at the bottom can be cumbersome. I don't know if you can tuck this in neatly but still there's going to be a bulge. I don't know why H4 made it permanent, perhaps its more dedicated for field use.

6. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

tigz...
    Most of my use of this bag is in the urban environment. The waist straps are able to be tucked in neatly and I don't even notice they are there most of the time when it is slung over one or both shoulders. It is a minor concern IMO and since I have owned the pack I don't even think about it anymore, FYI.

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Hmmm, would be interesting to see pics of those straps tucked in, that might change my mind:)

8. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

tigz...PM sent

9. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

I would like to see that picture too

10. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Post it here. I'd love to see those neatly tucked in straps. ;)

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. D552

D552 Loaded Pockets

Regarding the straps on the Second Front backpack. Check out the photo I posted which shows the back of the pack. You can see the waist straps pulled in as tight as possible. In that way when you have the pack on, the straps rest in your lower back and you don't even notice they are there. Hard to explain, but they do rest just below your lower back. That's my experience, hope that helps. It's a great backpack, very comfortable and I am very happy with it.
    [​IMG]

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm glad it works for you D552, but I think most people would notice it - especially in the warmer months when a jacket isn't between you and the pack. That belt is also unnecessary weight and would get in the way a lot when you take the pack off. My suggestion still stands - stay away from the Second Front unless the belt is something you use constantly.

Other Hazard 4 packs that include a removable belt are the Patrol Pack and the soon to be released Overwatch.

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I like the general setup of it... But that non removable belt is a deal killer..

14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

I see, so there's no sleeve you can tuck it in, its physically still out!

15. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Love the look and idea of this bag until I started hearing about the waist straps. That makes it a No-Go for me.
    Wonder if they will have a Mk II of this with removable or at least tuckable straps. I think that would go over a whole lot better...
    For the prices I'm seeing on this bag, there are plenty of other options that would suit better, IMO.

Heavyduti and TARFU like this.
  16. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Yup, really had high hopes on this bag until the bottom straps struck, if only this is removable, it will be with me now! I'm sure another version will come up as they already have an update on the patrol pack.

17. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

I called H4 a few months ago and asked if they had any plans on making a switchback with removable waits strap because I wanted to pre-order it and they said they had no plans in the next few years for making it.