1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Reveille

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Soulriot, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Ok so this purchase was one of my more frivolous purcahses. I have a Rush 24 that is set up as a grab and go for work. I only had a $1.99 Walmart toiletry bag that I would have to take it out for when I went traveling. Because it will be just sitting in the bag I figured that I would let my Walmart bag stay in the Rush and get a better bag. I was thinking of getting the Maxped one but saw the Hazard 4 bag and figured that would be a good way to see their quality without buying a more expensive bag. I have yet to fill it up with items, but my overall impression is that it is very good. A nice feature is there are D rings on the top corners that would allow you to attach a shoulder strap. The front pocket and right side have Hazard 4's rubber material on them to help with abrasion. I figured that it would be on the bottom as well but nope it's got PALS. They must not expect you to place it down and only use the included hook.

http://hazard4.com/products_reveille.html

Overall shot
    [​IMG]

Opened front pocket
    [​IMG]

Main compartment
    [​IMG]

Inside view
    [​IMG]

Side pocket
    [​IMG]

Right side showing off grab handle
    [​IMG]

Bottom PALS
    [​IMG]

Left side
    [​IMG]

Gearwolf and amdmaxx like this.
  2. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Cool! Thanks for the pics!

3. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

Looks good to me! thanks for sharing!

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Just bought a Hazard 4 Rocket pack from Pointman,here on EDCF....should be here Monday.
    When I went to gearbunker.com,the Reveille bag was one of the things that jumped out & caught my eye....:sigh:

Should have never opened this thread....:brickwall:

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

5. Sputnik6

Sputnik6 Loaded Pockets

Any thoughts after use?

Now that you've had the bag for a few months (judging by the AUG11 date on the original post), what's your opinion of it? I've been thinking about getting one, but until recently they were backordered on almost every site I've looked at. I tried the Maxpedition bag, but sent it back after a couple days because the material just felt flimsy and poorly constructed. This is my next choice for a kit bag, and I'm hoping it's better quality. I don't own anything from Hazard4 yet, so this seems like a good first choice for a daily-use item.

Thanks!

6. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

You can't go wrong with anything from hazard4. The bag is still as good as when I got. No complaints here.

Gnarly likes this.
  7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Not sure about it being a good toiletry bag because it looks a little narrow and I tend to stuff mine pretty good. However.... that width would look to be a perfect fit for the main compartment of the Kato and the black/coyote color scheme is an exact match.

Hmmm... maybe perfect for a bag within a bag setup? A little pricey though so will need to be on the look-out for one on eBay or catch a Hazard 4 sale somewhere.

@Sputnik6 Be aware that Hazard 4 uses genuine Condura material for their bags but it is thinner than the 1000D material that Maxpedition typically uses. However, don't equate that to a lack of quality. I've found the stitching, finish, and overall build quality on the Hazard 4 products to be superior to Maxpedition and the material Hazard 4 uses should be bullet proof enough for the vast majority of people and EDC.

amdmaxx and Gnarly like this.
  8. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Totally agree,TARFU! Except, IMO, you left out the word 'vastly'....or 'overwhelmingly'....

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I was trying not to come off sounding like a fan boy but... yeah... OK. Quite honestly, the last Maxped bag I purchased (the Mongo) had plenty of loose threads, crooked stitching, etc. Mind you, it wasn't horrible. But I wouldn't call it top notch either.

I think Hazard 4's quality is closer to TAD Gear or even (gasp) Kifaru but at a much lower price point, which is high praise indeed.

10. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Make a good FAK carry IMO.

11. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

I'll have to do a load out shot of it filled with everything so you guys get a good idea of how well it stores it's contents.

Gnarly likes this.
  12. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I have to humbly disagree on the Kifaru part.

I like Hazard4 stuff a lot... I own and use the Revielle, forward observer, jelly roll and launch pad. I had an Evac Photo Recon bag, and I use the 'Radiator' case from their Civilian Labs side for my 13'' MacBook pro. It's good stuff.

I agree it's better than Maxped... I have always kept my power supply and cables in a 'fatty' or two - one for cameras one for computer - and when I got my newest pack I bought a black fatty to drop into it, in black, to match. However the latest fatty I bought looks like it was sewn by a blind man. There's a series of gaping holes half hidden under the external velcro, as if a needle four times fatter was used for a few stitches, and the lines are everywhere - the whole pouch is off-square.

The only TAD gear I ever had was a V2 fast pack, and the stitching along the zipper came undone after six months. I never went back to them.

But Kifaru is a world apart from these brands. Hold it in your hands and you know right away. It exudes seriousness in comparison... the other day I took the omni belt off my X-ray, and just looking at the detail that's gone into something as 'simple' as a waist belt is astonishing. It has 'darts' sewn in to shape it ergonomicly around you and extra layer of inside, over rub points where the webbing is sewn in for the straps/pals etc... it's not stuff you can see at first look, it's thoughtful internal touches that most people wouldn't even think of, and just adds up to make the gear feel incredible.

If you examine the Kifaru organiser pouch, the design and build are to OCD levels of nitpick-proof. The fact that you can stuff this thing and it stays slim and low profile is head scratching... I've never found a similar product from another manufacturer that achieves anything close in that respect.

So, yes, Hazard4 is great stuff. I like it and will buy more if the design fits my needs. But as an user of both brands, I don't think it's particularly close to Kifaru quality.

pruitthall and amdmaxx like this.
  13. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Staff Member

Ok here is some shots loaded out with my typical travel kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this you can see there is plenty more room in the mesh area where all I have is a Alox Rambler. Also assessable when closed is the front compartment which is still empty for more items like all those freebies that hotels give away.

14. bp.

bp. Loaded Pockets

Nice peice of kit by the looks of it, nice pics!

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

If you read my quote again, I said it was "closer" to Kifaru than Maxped, not "close". I also said at a much lower price point, but that is true of almost any companies stuff compared to Kifaru. Sorry, I'm not correcting you to be an :censored:, but I'm a writer and have done speech writing in the past so I'm usually very particular about the words I use.

Regarding Kifaru, everything I read echos the same feedback - extraordinary quality. However, you pay for that quality. And while it's typically true in life that you usually get what you pay for, my personal preference is to gravitate towards what I consider to be "value brands". Brands which deliver quality that is over and above what you would expect for what you pay. I believe Hazard 4 falls into that category. We're all very demanding when it comes to that here, but as a Kifaru customer, you'd be pretty upset if you got anything less than extraordinary quality for the price you paid new for your X-ray, right? That's the difference.

blt2drg likes this.
  16. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Ok, point taken, my bad. I just wanted to give my opinion as an owner of the brands you mentioned.

If my X-ray (or pointman that I bought used) had been sub par in any way, or not worthy of the price tag, you bet I'd be saying so on the forums. The TAD packs are actually more expensive here (I live on an Island 14 miles of the coast of France), and I wouldn't pay that for one... look here Uk dealer for TAD, the fast pack in multicam is £424! My X-ray, organiser, lock'n'load pocket and optional power pull belt, shipped, with import tax was £280.

I have the Reveille, and I travel to and from mainland UK and Europe for work staying in all manner of accommodation, so use it a lot. The closest design I could find to the H4 was this Tumi; tumi washbag. It costs more than double, and doesn't seem to be worth more for it's intended purpose.

But when it comes to a pack that I will use everyday, overload, drag along on assignments in all kinds of conditions, toss in and out of all kinds of transport and require it to stay in one piece to get my stuff home again, I don't mind paying around double what I would spend on maxp or Hazard4. If I thought I could get similar performance from those brands packs, of of course I'd pay less and use them... I just feel, after owning all of them, that Kifaru is far enough ahead to be worth the price difference. That's all.

I still highly recommend the Reveille, it's the best dopp kit I've had to date.

Gnarly likes this.
  17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Understood. Sounds like the money you've spent on Kifaru is well spent. And really anybody is entitled to spend their hard earned cash however they want. I just question when some of these guys spent $300-400 on a pack that doesn't see any real "hard use" and then turn their nose up at brands like 5.11 and Hazard 4. All my packs see constant use but mostly during my daily commute and on weekend excursions - certainly not in harms way. I don't need a Kifaru or TAD pack for that.

Gnarly likes this.
  18. Sputnik6

Sputnik6 Loaded Pockets

Wow...I've been off the net for a while now, but the posts on here have pretty much just convinced me to go ahead and buy one. Soulriot - thanks for posting the load-out pictures - it looks a little bigger than I'd expected, which is good given the way I tend to pack my travel kit. Tarfu - I like your Kifaru comparison, especially since that kind of gear is a little out of my price range at this point. It'd be nice to have, and when I start commuting worldwide again in a few months I may upgrade my kit. In the meantime, however, I'm thinking this is going to be the one to get. Thanks!

Gnarly likes this.
  19. Mekinac

Mekinac Loaded Pockets

Here's mine!
    Really tough and plenty of room.
    [​IMG]

Gnarly and Soulriot like this.
  20. zombieslayer001