1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tarfu, you will be pleased to know that I emailed Hazard4 on your behalf, asking them if they would be interested in sending you a free hat. They said that they would love to, and asked for your mailing address. PM your mailing and email address and I will forward my correspondence with them to you and your mailing address to them. I'm at work now, but I'll send it to you later.

Congratulations.

Coolidge likes this.
  2. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Wow, that's awesome. I almost haven't got the words. It blows me away on a regular basis how great the people are in this forum. I know we've had some instances where folks have been ripped off, misled, etc. But, it's stuff like this that restores my faith in humanity. Thanks again. PM inbound!

Coolidge likes this.
  3. Convoy

Convoy Loaded Pockets

What's the maximum length the strap? I thought this bag would be too small, but looking at the dimensions, I think it'll work for me.

4. GEC

GEC Loaded Pockets

Awesome review!!!! I am thinking about getting one myself next week. Maybe even get two of them, 1 for me in black and 1 for the wife. Lol I do have a couple questions for you, how do you compare this to the timbuk2 small or medium messenger bag? Same amount of room or less? Which has the best padding for the tablet or netbook?

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I'm 6'4 and it's a tad short for my liking for cross body carry. On other hand, if you're shorter or mostly carry on one shoulder (as I do), then the length should be fine. On one shoulder, it actually falls a little lower than waist height so I shorten it by an inch on either side for regular carry.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Thanks. It's closer to the size of the Timbuk2 medium messenger. I think the padding is more than adequate in either, but the corduroy padded compartment in the last Timbuk2 blogger bag I had a couple of years ago was probably thicker than the padding in the Kato. Not sure about the latest Timbuk2 models.

7. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

Wow, SAKplumber that’s really nice of you. :thumbsup:

8. Convoy

Convoy Loaded Pockets

I'm 6'2, so you have a couple inches on me. I carry cross body.

I added a Janus to my Colossus so my bag usually rests on my hip. I have long arms, and I like being able to access the entire bag with one hand.

Hmmm... Does anyone make a longer shoulder strap?

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Being two inches shorter, you might be OK. The Janus won't work with the Kato though due to the buckles. If you can get away with it, stick with the Kato strap. It's of very high quality with nice padding. Very comfortable and better than the Maxpedition strap as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The Kato's shoulder strap measures 48" fully extended. I have a Tom Bihn Absolutely Shoulder Strap being shipped to me for my new Patagonia MLC carry-on. The site lists it as being 52" long so it would add another 4". It's pricey but supposedly one of the most comfortable bag straps around. Here is the link:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0505

I plan on reviewing it along with the MLC when I get both next week. As straps go, I'm sure there are less pricier options out there for your consideration but Bihn's quality is hard to match.

10. SilenzZzz

SilenzZzz Loaded Pockets

got mine in today .. pleased with it on all parts other then the flip pouch i ordered .. not quite deep enough to hold the water bottle i carry daily .. so going to end up attaching my 10x4 maxped to the side of it ... but the main peice its self is quite nice and more roomy then my moab 6 ...

may look around for an alternative water bottle .. but i need something i can open one handed while driving ... and most of them are fairly tall...

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Fantastic review! Thanks to you, Tarfu. Just ordered one from Amazon (I had a $48 dollar credit there in AMEX rewards points). Got the add-on bits from Gearbunker.

Edition:

Plus if Gnarly likes these they have to be good. He's never given me a bum steer.

12. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

My SO Tech/Paladin Mission Go Bag's will hold a tablet/netbook, but it wasn't just designed for it, it was designed for a few different things.
    I do like the Kato, but I don't need another bag!! I swear I don't. :)

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Sounds like you do. :naughty:

14. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Nooooooo! :)

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You can buy bags with Amazon Rewards Points?? I just felt a tremor in the Force. :jedi:

16. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

So, here's a funny story. I mentioned this in another thread, but my work is supplying me with a Motorola Razr Maxx and is asking if I want a Lapdock. The most viable model for everyday use is their Lapdock 500 Pro model, which features a 14" screen. You probably know where I'm going with this...

So, of course the Lapdock 500 is too large for the Kato. Which got me thinking about that Hazard 4 Sherman, which hasn't been released yet. I was telling my wife about the Lapdock and she says, "Eff! I knew it. This is just another excuse for you to get another freaking bag!!!"

I've been married to the woman for 17 years. She knows me all too well. LOL.

17. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Thankee,Sir! (Now: the pressure's ON!)

One of our local backwoods sayings is: "Po' people have po' ways."
    Loose interpretation: gotta keep looking / shopping around til ya find what works, and stick with it.

And all my gear gets used,hard.

And yes, I'll admit to being an opinionated bahstid. :crackup:

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Blades is A.E.D.C.F.M.O.I.D.*

* Another E.D.C.F. Member Obviously In Denial.

TARFU ha$ painted hi$$elf into a corner here! We ju$t hit Po$t #100 here, at lea$t a dozen of u$ followed TARFU down the Kato path....hi$ Lady ha$ him figured out....and thi$ Hazard4 Pied Piper: TARFU i$ headed off on a new $pending $pree....

Thankfully, I have no need for a new $herman....(it even $OUND$ $pendy.)

19. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

As a fellow Haz4 addict, I'm shocked... I tell you, shocked... to hear you say that. LOL. BTW, for those who have no idea what we're talking about - some eye candy (basically the Kato in a more traditional horizontal configuration)...

[​IMG]

20. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Yes, but it looks like I'll have a refund coming. Their only H4 vendor wrote and said:

------------- Begin message -------------

Dear Ron:

We apologize for the inconvenience; however, the black Kato bag is sold out. We do, however, have the coyote color in stock. Please let us know if you would like to cancel your order or if you would like the coyote bag. Thank you for your understanding and we await your response.

Best regards,

Customer Care Team

Semsons & Co. Inc.

------------- End message -------------

So naturally I replied with:

I am VERY disappointed. Why would you list it as being in stock and them tell me you're out? What is the soonest you can get one in?

I'm pretty sure I'll need to look elsewhere. If my other H4 goodies have not shipped yet, I'll add it on to that order tomorrow.

Sheesh! Tarfu, I can see why "Hazard" is an appropriate sobriquet for this stuff!

BTW, T, there's always the H4 "messenger of doom" or the "Defense Courier Bag" if you can't wait. Just sayin...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.