1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Hiram,

Would gladly post pix if I could!
    Recently moved from my former 2000 sq ft home to my current 'small house'.....approx. 450 sq. ft.
    And my only digital camera is tucked away somewhere in a 8' X 8' X 20' oceangoing container.....along with every piece of EDC gear I don't need daily.

So....pictures, when I can.

Can tell you this: the $5 sew-it-up fix cured the only real issue I had with that bag.
    And gave me a couple more NEEDED inches of strap length, to boot.

As easy as this fix IS, though....something to consider: losing the squeeeeeaky adjusterJUNK also means the strap is now a 'fixed' length.....pun intended.
    Be comfortable with where the bag rides, before you undertake the permanent 'fix'....try it on over your heaviest parka, then mark where you want it sewn.

SurvivePenna and Haubitz like this.
  2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

How could hazard4 QA/R&D not try this bag on and think 'hey.. This is a stupid sound.. And.. Its really loud.. And it makes the sound with every little move, regardless the weight of the bag' -.-

Gnarly likes this.
  3. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Its caused by the metal ring and plastic hook as friction increases in heavy loads. It also happens in my timbuk2 laptop commute messenger. The solution is to find a way to have the bag hug closer to your body so weight transfers. I must admit its annoying but hey, people look at you and the bag!, the sound just you can hear.

billybatson likes this.
  4. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

Plastic touching plastic will squeak. Metal may or may not squeak but the squeak can be mitigated with lubricant.

5. Bear76

Bear76 Loaded Pockets

Buy the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. It fits perfectly. The clips rotate so it never twists and there is no squeak. As a bonus it is super comfortable.

gatorfan and thePlumbah like this.
  6. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Comfort vs looks!, I also have an Oakley that is designed to carry laptop weight but just doesn't jive with Kato's molles. H4 also have the thicker padded strap if you like. So far I'm fine with the standards on the bag. I've only added the flip pouch as an accesory. Still my bag to go on short runs and a light spring jacket goes with it as well as a foldable backpack for good measure.

7. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Kato selfie!, using the 511 GPS pouch this time for my cellphone, just more convenient:
    [​IMG]

AlgoOPC and groovster like this.
  8. SirCache

SirCache Loaded Pockets

My wife picked this up the Kato in black for me as part of my Fathers' Day gift. I love this. I really do. It's the perfect size for a gadget bag, and my Galaxy note 10.1 fits perfectly in the padded compartment. I noticed that Hazard 4 also has something called the Hatch listed as 'coming soon', and it would be a nice little add-on for my work phone (I don't take many calls on it, but it has to be with me constantly and I've technically already broken 2 others by -inadvertently- walking them into a wall). But the Kato has the nice feel that my Hazard 4 Rocket does, without the bulk of the pack.

I can't wait to load this thing up!

AlgoOPC likes this.
  9. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Lucky you to have a wife that understands your EDC "wants"!, does she know your into this forum?

10. SirCache

SirCache Loaded Pockets

She does, although if she knew the depths of my interests and organization, we would have the 'opportunity for discussing the situation' that I didn't realize was necessary. Truthfully, she puts up with a whole lot of stuff from me than any woman should ever put up with in anyone else. As long as I don't go overboard and blow the food budget to acquire a new bag, she wouldn't object. That said, I did get a few raised eyebrows when reading another thread (the organizer thread) and she saw me taking a closer look at one of them and she cleared her throat "Not tonight dear." Hey, being told no padding my new bag for only one night? Man, that's LOVE.

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  11. Habermas

Habermas Loaded Pockets

If anyone is having problems with a sqeeky strap I suggest you put some paraffin from a memorial light on the plastic carabiner on the strap. You only need a small amount, not more than the tip of a finger nail. My Kato is practically in stealth mode since I did this to my bag.

Btw thansk for a great thread! I had good use of it before buying my Kato.

/Habermas

12. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

What lodge you belong to brother?

13. HiramAbiff

HiramAbiff Loaded Pockets

PM of Golden City Lodge #1, Golden, CO

Brother, I am happy to talk about all things Masonic with you, if you will send me your e-mail address as that would be off-topic for this thread.

Thanks & best to you & the group.

H A

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  14. Thrasher

Thrasher Empty Pockets

Does anybody know if a Canon t2i DSLR with a 18-55 mm lens would fit? Would it have space left over for a 50mm?

15. apamato

apamato Loaded Pockets

After reading this thread, I wanted a Hazard4 Kate. We are getting new laptops at work and the new one will not fit in the Kato. So, I ordered a Sherman. With all the hype about the Sherman in this thread, I was disappointed that I couldn't find a thread like this on the Sherman. I was able to find a couple of threads about the SHerman.

16. Raceaddict

Raceaddict Loaded Pockets

Having finally read through this entire thread I'm pretty convinced the Kato is the bag for me.

My number one concern/interest is how it can hold an iPhone 6 in a way that can be the quickest, most easily accessible. What would seem to me to be an obvious solution would be a Skinth Milky Way w/SRB attached to the MOLLE on the side of the bag most of you have attached a Flip to. Has anyone done this? Pics?

Unfortunately that adds 50% to the cost of the bag (never mind shipping and whatever else it will cost be to get it across the border) but hey... it seems like it'd be the way to get everything I want in one unit.

17. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I came across one of these bags semi-locally (On a local forum, but also a member on here TarheelBrit is what he goes by I believe), and used TARFU once again to help vet my bag purchases (what led me to this site, originally, was his Camelbak Urban Assault XL review).

I got this bag because...well I am not sure, I just wanted a small sling for SOME reason.

Since getting it I have converted it into my "mobile office" for my '"business" (I hesitate to use the word as it is nothing serious, just some keychain tools I make, nothing crazy).
    I love it!
    It offers plenty of organization withough being over the top and too complicated. I like the small size and being able to quickly throw it on to go to a gun show or even into the coffee shop to prepare orders while I enjoy a cup of joe.

I find that its very well made and have no concerns of it messing up/falling apart anytime soon

Im 100% satisfied with my buy and would/have recommend(ed) this bag to anyonre looking for a pretty basic looking, small sling to keep in the car with a small kit or for other reasons which do not require too much space (by that I mean a full laptop etc)

Can post up pics of my setup if anyone is interested

18. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Having a blonde day can someone who has done the strap mod please put some photos up. Cheers.

19. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

So emailed tom bihn to see if they had any intentions of manufacturing the absolute straps in coyote but apparently not. Shame as i would have got one for my hazard 4 kato. No other company seems to do a decent shoulder strap with metal clips.

20. mario23

mario23 Loaded Pockets

I ordered one of these. I'm hoping the size will work better for me than my moab 10 so thanks for the review. I will probably get the absolute strap from what I've read but will wait on that. Besides the size, I like the more urban look of the bag rather than my molle bags.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.