1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Look into the Sherman.. Same setup as Kato but about 50 percent wider

My friend wanted a look at my Kato, begged my to sell it as soon as he saw.. Ordered the Sherman same day and fell n love with it..

2. Coop

Coop Loaded Pockets

Odd. Hazard4 says the bag is suitable for the macbook 11" model, which is 11.8" according to the apple site.

I like the Sherman, but it is too big. I'm looking for something that is smaller than my current bag (tad gear messenger).

I wish there was a Kato+... Or a Sherman without the sidepocket...

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well, that's in between yours and mine but H4 has also been known to stretch credibility when it comes to the measurements of what will fit. I had that issue with the Sherman and mentioned that in the review. What you can cram in there and what can easily slide in and out while still allowing a smooth closure of the compartment zipper is two different things.

4. Coop

Coop Loaded Pockets

I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up :)

I couldn't agree more :)

I'd rather put my laptop +PSU in my EDC bag than getting all my other gear out of my EDC bag and putting it in my laptop bag. That is what I currently do and I always find myself in that awkward spot where I discover that I forgot to put that one item in my other bag at the worst possible time...

So basicly, what I'm looking for is a bag for my EDC that is as compact as possible, but will fit my laptop as well when I need to take it along, a tight fit is no problem, as long as it doesn't put any extreme loads on the zippers when closed. Anyway, it seems the Kato isn't the bag for me, so other bag suggestions are welcome (although this thread doesn't seem like the best place for them).

5. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

And I have the same Kato and flip-pouch!. This bag is my "formal use" asset and only goes to theatre shows, dine-ins, and parties. I can fit my Canon SLR with 300mm lens, coffee mug, small water bottle and ipad. It also holds my eagle creek foldable bacpack for good measure just in case the occassion winds up in the grocery or shopping mall.

6. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Forgot to mention the lockable buckles which can be cumbersome when it locks itself; it can also snap a bit of your finger skin in the closing process. Well, no bag is perfect so this ones noteworthy.

7. zenpunk

zenpunk Loaded Pockets

I just pulled the trigger on this bag and the pouch too in good ol' coyote. Great review. Kato is definitely more to what I was looking for that the Lunada.

8. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Glad you did, my Kato is the sole "formal occassion" operator!

zenpunk likes this.
  9. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

Tarfu, great write up.. I also bought one of these last year and did a short write up on the unboxing on here.. But, you did a way better job than I. I have the same set up as you on most items except for the ad don pouch. I am looking into that right now.. I also have a cheapo IWB holster I took the metal snap off and put velcro on it to use for my CCW carry.. I like the Hazard 4 one better. I will probably spring for that this week.. I am also getting a Scottevest Thor Alpha here in May, which I will do a full review on.. I am looking at the crossbreed Ohai setup for my CCW, maybe instead of the Hazard 4, since the Ohai is recommended for the Scottevest. I will more and likely get both! ;) But great write up!!! I love this bg and glad I spent the money on it...

10. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

SO, I am not sure if anyone answered your question, or it is way too late!!! I have a D90 and it fits in the inside main compartment with a 50-200 lens.. With extra room for soft things.. I would not want my D90 in there with anything that will scratch it.. :)

11. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

My Canon T3 with 300mm lens fits nicely plus my coffee mug!

12. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]heres the Kato with the mug,camera, plus the packable backpack, note the ipad.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  13. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I use my Kato as a laptop carrier. Take my 11 inch macbook air along with a iPad mini almost every day.

14. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

anyone got a permanent solution to the *squeeeeek squeeek sqaaak squeeeek squeeeek* sounds that the strap makes while walking with the kato? i have never loved a bag so much, and hated the strap so much. Right now i have covered the d-rings with some tape, and that works for now. any one who can recommend a replacement strap that will have no sound when in contact with the stupid plastic d-rings, and maybe one that is a little bit nicer than the stock strap?
    i looked at the tom bihn straps, but those are not available in UK/EU :s

Nowhere Man likes this.
  15. Coop

Coop Loaded Pockets

If I'm not mistaking, Tom Bihn ships international. For something like a strap, they can probably use USPS First Class mail, so the shipping cost won't be too bad. My guesstimate is under $15 for a single strap, but drop them an email just to be sure.

16. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yea, but import fees turns a 30 usd strap into a 95 usd strap, so i would like to keep my shopping inside EU :/

17. HiramAbiff

HiramAbiff Loaded Pockets

First please allow me to say that it has been at least nine months since my last appearance on this forum. Somebody most have responded to one of my notes and thus I was tickled.

What I see is more of the same and more of the reason I purchased the bag in the first place. Best designed bag I know of. on the other hand the strap system is so bad, it makes it very difficult for me to use the bag. to that end it has seen the outside of my house twice and never in the great outdoors.

What I wanted was more of a sling (I THINK), but simply fell in love with the bag and thought I could get over the way that the carrying straps were implemented. On that last part I was wrong and dearly wish that somebody could tell me how to make my life with this bag better or its probably time to give somebody e deal on a "like new" bag.

What I really want is something I can carry much like a backpack where I can choose an arm to sling it over without the need for an additional belt. I do not like all of the weight on my neck and when it is all on the shoulder as is currently, I do not feel secure.

I do believe I can help the person who asked about squeaky D-rings. Here in the US, there is a great product which can be found at most Walgreen's, etc.--really anywhere they sell "As seen on TV stuff." It's a role of self sticking rubberized tape. When you purchase the stuff you get 25 yards in 3 colors and I have found that by wrapping the rings (on any bag...), not only does the stuff holdup, straps tend to stay put (a good thing in my book), they do not squeak when you are moving with the bag, etc. I have found this stuff wonderful for all sorts of things.

I do not recall the name of this stuff. I am sure somebody on the form will. It's about a $20 investment which you will use for all sorts of things. Heck I wrapped my mini-T Shrine parade Fire engine's steering wheel with the stuff a few years ago and it was one of the best mods I ever did to that car. Now I can drive, not slip, not squeak and the tape only sticks to itself, so no stickiness.

So, I hope I have been helpful and I am about to go on a week long excursion and would love to take this bag, if I can find a better way or carrying it, than the way it is by design (so to speak). You know, its funny, I have one of Eagle Creek's first bags (barely fits into the EDC category, but then its not your average "book bag" either). Designed in the late 70's and sold through the early 80's. Its seen a lot of use from books when I was in school to EDC when I was older.
    that said, its a smaller bag, but even then you could see where the industry was heading.
    What they designed, which I have not seen well implemented since is a "hidden shoulder strap" design which would let you use the bag like that & if that was not your gig, it also came with a nice padded shoulder strap. Either carrying system can be folded neatly away in a pocket in the back and converted over in a matter of a minute or two. All sewed in, just needed to clip the right strap end to the right D ring and you were off. IMHO, that is what this bag is missing and I have not figured out how to get closer to what I want--as is, I do not see myself easily carrying it all over the Carribean islands. Of course Eagle Creek offers nothing like this anymore and the quality of their stuff is not what it once was, but I do know that if I worked in R&D for the Haz4 folks, I would be looking at every bag some joker like me tosses out there for inspiration. It's kinda, a pity, but I will probably leave the Haz4 bag at home (we eave mid May) and take the older bag so that I can choose how to carry it.

Of course I am also looking for the perfect, non-bulky belt bag and have found no joy, Man how I would love to find one which holds just my basics and at the same time does not stick out so far as to be unable to use it--particularly at work where I need something like it, but bulkiness (how far/deep it sticks out from the body) gets in the way of my attire, let alone my job and G-d forbid comfort. Again, basics, like wallet, meds, cell, ideally sunglasses, though not a deal breaker & some misc stuff, most of which I do not really need to carry but do (Kleenex, inhaler, pen, hard candy and loose change.

Any help, or if I can be helpful, would be greatly appreciated & If there is anything I can do for the folks of this forum, I hope those who need it will indeed ask for it.

Best to all,
    Hiram Abiff

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Took mine to the nearest boot / shoe repair; had them remove the annoying ends & simply sew the strap to the bag.

Think it was $5 labor.

groovster and cowsmilk like this.
  19. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Gnarly!!!! You're back! :)

cowsmilk likes this.
  20. HiramAbiff

HiramAbiff Loaded Pockets

I would very much like to see a pic of exactly what you did & some sense of how well (or not) it works for you with this permanent mod.
    If you wish, I THINK there is a way to PM you my e-mail address, unless you know of a better way, or if the pics are already posted somewhere.

Again, Thanks,

Hiram Abiff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.