1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Good luck with your Kato purchase. Let us know whether you feel it's an improvement for you over the Push Pack. I've had both (and reviewed both) and I think you'll be pleased with it.

2. MrMLK

MrMLK Empty Pockets

Thanks. It is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. Thanks for your interesting and helpful review.

3. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Keep going......50% may work.

4. Alchemy1

Alchemy1 Loaded Pockets

This thread convinced me to buy a Kato and join EDCF!

nightowl, Blitzwing and billybatson like this.
  5. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Do we have an answer to whether a DSLR will fit? Specifically a Nikon D90. H4 state the main compartment is 80mm deep and Nikon state the D90 is 103 mm high, but is there enough give in the bag to let it fit?

I'd like to carry it with a lens attached, so these dimensions are what will make it a goer or not.

Thanks in advance.

Hammer-V6 likes this.
  6. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this Kato review, just ordered mine in black( would have went with 5.11 but they dont have this type); only regret is not getting the flip-pouch which fits nicely as your photo shows.

7. MrMLK

MrMLK Empty Pockets

Got mine today. Love it. One question:

I want to attach something to the side that will hold my Galaxy Note 2 (6x3.5x.5). I got the Big-Koala, but its a little too small. DO you know of any pouch that might work?

Do you think the front pocket of the Flip-Pouch(TM) Bottle/Magazine Pouch by Hazard 4 would be big enough?

8. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I don't think the flip pouch pocket will be big enough. It fits my naked s3, or maybe with a small case. I think maxpedition makes some bigger phone cases. Nice thing if you have a black kato, black usually matches from brand to brand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. MrMLK

MrMLK Empty Pockets

Thanks for letting me know about the flip pouch.

I checked out maxpedition, and while they do have a number of bigger pouches, they are all of the "storage" variety with a zipper, rather then being designed for quick access.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

10. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

11. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

The sides are elastic, so there should be SOME give to it width wise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

12. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

13. apurva

apurva Empty Pockets

Hi everyone,

Just when I was about to finally buy the kato at think geek & they went out of stock! :( anyone know of any other place that has a good deal on the kato ? I asked think geek and they said they have discontinued it so they won't be stocking the kato again.

14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Try LAPG or OPSGEAR, if not free shipping you could avail on some discount coupons. My Kato is dry docked for the season and my Rush 12 is taking over for capacity.

15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Quix had his for sale in his BST thread... $100 but it comes with a bunch of extra goodies including the $30 flip pouch most people add and the $10 deluxe strap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

I am thinking I will get this down the road to be used with a larger bag. I think that is the place to put my kindle and the tablet to be named later to live in that bag.

That bag will in turn will live in a larger bag.

Or not.

I have not worked out exactly what will be my next large bag.

17. gatorfan

gatorfan Loaded Pockets

After reading this thread from front to back, I decided to try a black Kato for myself. I'm definitely impressed with the construction. Like most on this thread, I purchased the flip pouch, but I also added a 5.11 6.6 med pouch to the molle panel under the flap. The only complaint I have is the shoulder strap, its not grippy enough. So a Tom Bihn Absolute Strap was immediately ordered and on its way.

18. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

So nice to hear from all of my old cronies. Catherine, I already know that competing with you for anything of significance is a losing battle. You rock, Sweetie!

pacrawshaw and TARFU like this.
  19. Coop

Coop Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at the Kato for quite some time now... But before I buy one, I would like to make sure that my laptop fits inside... I've asked a couple of my regular suppliers who sell Hazard4 gear, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer. One says he measured and it wont fit, another says he measured the main compartment at 33cm long, which would mean it would fit.

My laptop is a 13.3" Samsung Series 9, which measures 12.3 x 8.6 x 0.5 inch (or 31.4 x 21.9 x 1.3 cm). Which is fairly small for a 13.3" machine.
    Hazard4 specifies 12.1 x 9 x 3.1 inch (or 31 x 23 x 8 cm) for the main compartment of the Kato, which might work but would be a tight fit, and 12 x 9 x 0.75 inch (or 30.5 x 23 x 2 cm) for the back compartment, which might work but would be an even tighter fit...

So, could anyone who owns a Kato (and a Series 9 or similarly sized object) please confirm if it is going to fit or not? Confirmation with pictures would be very much appreciated...

20. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Unfortunately, it's not going to fit. The Dell laptop that I show in the main compartment on page 1 is 11.11" x 9.18" x 0.99". It pretty much fills the entire main compartment with just enough clearance to close the zipper. Your Samsung, being an inch longer, will not fit.

Honestly, the Kato was never meant to carry a laptop or anything larger than an 11" Netbook. In fact, it's really a large tablet bag. I was pushing the limits carrying my 12.5" machine. It just, by sheer dumb luck, worked out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.