1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

2. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Why oh why didn't Hazard4 make the Kato just one inch taller and wider, so my MacBook Air would fit? Sooooo close to my ideal bag... :nah_disagree:

3. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I hear what you are saying but next time I walk with this bag in rain I'll just put it in the admin compartment and it should be fine.

4. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

You have the 13"? Supposedly the 11" fits in the inside, part of the reason I'm looking at the 11" air for my next laptop upgrade. Not the sole reason, mind you...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

13.3" MacBook Air, ayup. It's proving to be surprisingly difficult to find a bag that fits it, without being inordinately big. Everything seems to be designed for netbooks, or 15" laptops.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Have you seen this one?

http://www.tombihn.com/messenger_bags/TB0223.html

7. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

TARFU likes this.
  8. Convoy

Convoy Loaded Pockets

The 11 fits perfectly. I carry mine in my modded Kato.

Stonerman33 likes this.
  9. GAT

GAT Empty Pockets

Does anyone have concerns about the strap clips on H4 products in general. I seem to prefer the sewn on straps like Maxped uses vs the clips. I have had a couple bags that had clips that resembled the H4 clips that failed after just a couple mints of use.

Thoughts?

10. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I don't have specific experience with the H4 products, but modular components have their advantages as well. If you find a strap (with attachment clips) you like more, you can more easily swap it out. Also, having a generic D-ring on the bag opens up a lot more options than the 2" Warrior SRB that Maxped uses. For example, a friend at college used to use climbing carabiners on his bag strap so he could easily attach and detach one side when slinging it across the body.

This comes down to preference, but having hardware that swivels (like on most removable straps) makes the strap feel totally different. While a sewn strap that doesn't swivel seems more stable, twists are harder to get rid of while the bag is slung. On the other hand, swivels lead to lots of twists but they're more easily smoothed out while the bag is still on your shoulder. Pick your poison. :p

Specifically regarding Maxped, I've had had the SRB on my Fatboy strap break. Since everything was sewn together, I had to rip the seam near the triglide on the strap anyway to replace the broken part.

IMO the real problem is sometimes how weak and poorly thought out the hardware is in specific products. Hopefully H4's doing it right. =)

Last edited by kirbysdl, Apr 1, 2013
    Gnarly likes this.
  11. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Need all the strap length I can get, so I took a pr of sidecutters et removed mine.

Ran the strap out full-length; handed the bag & strap & $5 to my friend the bootshoerepairdude.

FIXT.

12. thiescea

thiescea Loaded Pockets

Will do some more reading, but with tiny-terror-two on the way this might be a good fit for a combined diaper/urban edc bag.

edit: ordered one from thinkgeek, they had them on sale.

Last edited by thiescea, Apr 4, 2013
  13. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Just double checking ... if you want to get to the main compartment through the flap, as shown in the last pic here, do you have to go through two zippers? Or does the flap's zipper go straight into the main compartment?

Having to go through two zippers seems like a bit of a hassle: you're trading (1) unclip SRB, (2) lift flap, (3) unzip into wide opening for (1) unzip flap, (2) unzip main compartment and still have a small opening. I could justify a narrower opening with much faster access, but it doesn't necessarily seem much faster if you're fiddling with zipper pulls through a narrow opening.

14. thiescea

thiescea Loaded Pockets

Got the Kato in the mail today. First impression: awesome. Seems to fit everything I need it to. Or will once that water bottle addon pouch arrives. Seems to be well made and doesn't look too mallninja.

Kirby: it's two zippers. I guess if you know you'll need/want to use the 'backdoor' you can leave the internal zipper partially undone.

Gnarly and TARFU like this.
  15. GAT

GAT Empty Pockets

To the best of my knowledge you don't have to have a gun locked up in Illinois. Only has to be in a case made to hold a gun, completely enclosed, and unloaded.

16. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

GAT - technically you're correct but it's the definition of a case that is the issue and open to interpretation within a particular jurisdiction. Having the bag locked would make it more difficult for a prosecutor to claim that your carry was intended for CCW rather than just for transport. Personally, I don't use any of my bags which are CCW capable for that purpose here and only show the setups for review purposes. For transport to the range, I have my guns in cases inside my range bag, unloaded, with the ammo in separate pockets.

Once Illinois passes concealed carry, I will carry on my person versus a pack but it's nice to have an option like the Kato, Jumbo EDC, Stealth Operator, etc. should I chose to carry off body.

62Tele likes this.
  17. Finges

Finges Empty Pockets

billybatson and TARFU like this.
  18. billybatson

billybatson Loaded Pockets

Just bought it at thinkgeek! Thanks for the heads up! Great deal.

19. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Too bad it's only 10% off now....

20. MrMLK

MrMLK Empty Pockets

Now 20

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.