1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hazard 4 Kato Messenger (PICTURE HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by TARFU, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks, man. I've changed it up a bit, since. For instance, I put the antibacterial goo on the side pouch. Easy to reach, but not the first thing people see when I walk up to them. Also, I put my Kelty rain/windbreaker in the flip pouch. I like the fact that it fills it up(&out). And that its handy, handier than being in the bottom of the main compartment. I use the front locking pocket for my keys and pocket stuff when I carry the bag. I'd like to get one of those admin organizers like bzimmerly uses there. It'll keep some more used stuff at the top.

Overall, I really like it. I just wish my edc was lighter. ;)

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

So I got ready to dig out a Grid-It, to use instead of an admin pouch....looking for any I had, that weren't currently in use....discovered that I have 3 new empty ones in the giant size; for luggage or a briefcase.

May hafta see if any members have an 8.5 X 11 size they'll trade for a giant Grid-It.

Then I cleaned gear for a couple hours. MAY need to sell more stuff & just buy smaller Grid-Its!

And friend: Sak: if you lighten yer gear, you'll be angry when you need what was left behind!

:brickwall:

3. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I, too, find that this set-up has enough capacity for me to load my EDC quite heavily.

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

.....and Goldilocks said, "This bag is juuuust right!"

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

What I really need to do, rather than thin out, is just lighten up. I need to carry a few things in lesser quantities. For instance, I could use one of your rescue pencils with all the repair tapes, etc. I'll make one as soon as I get the appropriate threads. All I have is tape. And I'm carrying a full 25' of duct tape, and a full roll of silicone rescue tape.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

This looks like a decent stick to wrap everything around. Step one complete.
    [​IMG]
    It's an aluminum straw. 3/8"O.D. X 12'

Sent from someone's plumbing using Tapatalk

7. pagga

pagga Loaded Pockets

I can't read that thread right now for some reason. Could you summarize and provide link please?

EDIT: Nevermind! Serves me right for not reading ahead before replying...it's the tacticaldistributors.com discount right?

8. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I don't know if anyone has asked or if this was mentioned, but is the pouch on the side removable? I know others have bought an additional pouch to balance the look for the other side, but I am looking to slim the look a little and want to know if this is naturally possible.

I have read the majority of he thread, but it has gotten pretty long and I may have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

No; the pouch is made on.

The only downside I've found to this bag----and,trust me! I've hunted for a 'downside'---is the walt disney pouch on one side ,with that useless row of vertical MOLLE on it's outer aspect.

Only way I've figgered to improve the bag is: MOLLE on both sides for a pair of real pouches ; lose that walt disney pouch.

BUT I'm quick to point out: the KATO is daym near perfect. Will make ya throw rox @ what ya useta carry.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

You didn't miss it. I just checked it out & it looked good for a second but it looks like a lot of trouble. It looks like the pocket material is sown on but it also is layered in between the body and the front pouch. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can separate some of the material by removing the thread but some( the part between layers) would have to be cut and left exposed.
    Hope this helps!

11. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the response. This answers perfectly.

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I edited my description a little in case I was typing while you had read it.

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have to agree about the strip of sideways pals webbing. Useless. And if your not throwing rocks at it perhaps you could carry some rocks in it:)

14. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to add some pictures of my recently purchased Kato into the mix:

In coyote with the flip pouch attached:
    [​IMG]

Under the flap:, setup to carry my Surefire LX2, Leatherman Skeletool + Bit Kit in Civilian Labs Koala holsters and some first aid items in a Maxpedition Glove pouch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The separated areas at the sides of the main pocket make a nice umbrella holder:
    [​IMG]

Complete mini First-Aid kit, in a Maxpedition Hook-and-Loop 3x5 Zipper pocket, attached to the hook-and-loop area in the flap pocket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely a very versatile bag.

Tallinar likes this.
  15. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

RE: the exterior piece of questionable MOLLE...
    How about use it as a spot for a cheap short pen carried on the outside? Or maybe a Grimloc carabiner to hold your hat when you're not wearing it indoors or whatever...
    (Just thinking out loud here)

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

@ herosemblem. The questionable webbing in on the vertical, kinda sideways. I would think it would be a good way to lose a pen as it would clip on parallel to the ground. But the grimloc for a hat, or whatever one might like to carry on the outside, sounds like a good idea to me. now to get a grimloc...all I have are s-biners & generic biners

17. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Prob'ly gonna take a Finger Scalpel & remove mine.
    The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking: just what were they smoking @ Hazard 4 ,that day?

It takes a 100-score bag down to a 92 - 95, IMO.

Took about 10 days----reeeediculous----from gearbunker.com----never again----to get the optional padded shoulder strap w/ MOLLE, but it's a WINNER....and raises the overall score to a solid 96.

SAKpipebender: PM me yer address....gotcha a Coyote Grimloc. Owe ya a favor,anyway. Mail out Tues. a.m.

18. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

@ SAKplumber: Oh, I think I must have been looking at the wrong MOLLE panel. The one to which I referred is the one on that vertical sidepouch, with the MOLLE directly underneath the rubber Hazard 4 logo. In that location, a pen would be perpendicular to the ground, I think. It's pictured in pic#2 of post #239.
    There must be a different MOLLE panel, though-- one which is less-than-useful...

19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Nah...we're talking about post 236---pix #2.
    The only sewn-on pouch on the outside.

20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ah. There is an elastic pocket on that side. By adding the Flip pouch we are covering it up. Not entirely. The pocket is still accessible, but it looses it's ability to expand after the flip pouch is added. You can see an example of the elastic pocket on each side of the PlanB Sling.
    I tried to put my small umbrella in it and found that it would decrease the amount of useable space inside the main compartment. As it happens, I put my umbrella inside the main compartment, directly behind the flip pouch. It's just as accessible, thru the flap-to-main-compartment zipper, on top of the flap, but allowed me to use the flip pouch with a better mount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.