1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Have you found your "perfect" pack?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rdog, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

My new fav pack [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED-FIVE, AlgoOPC and MCPOWoller like this.
  2. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Motherload?
    I see now this is the new gen HAWG, I just couldn't wrap my head around what looked like a second layer, the full front admin pocket confused me...kind of want one of these....must resist.

Last edited by Rdog, Nov 28, 2017
    #62 Rdog, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  3. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Checked out both the Osprey Nebula and Pandion as suggested above. Both have way too many organizational pouches. The smallest thing I carry in my pack is a fly box. I don't need slots/pockets for pens, flash drives, business cards etc.

I'm looking at the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault as a possible choice. As usual though, it's impossible for me to get hands on before buying. I'm not convinced it doesn't have too many pockets and office worker crap added either.

It's getting frustrating to be honest. It seems GoRuck builds the only pack that's designed for people like me; no :censored:, minimalist, simple, rugged.

Gimme a black GR1 21L for around $200 Canadian pesos and I'd buy one right now. $300 Freedom Dollars plus shipping to Canada, I'd hope that pack would not only carry my crap but set it up for me when I get there.

Yes I'm bitter. Can I move to the US where things are cheaper and a dollar goes further?!?!! frig I hate Canada sometimes...

4. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Check out Goruck's black friday sale

Lately I've been using a Tufa Mochilla pack for a knock-around bag, and it's pretty rad if you want a minimalist pack in that size range. It's burly sail cloth, carries well with any of the junk I've crammed in it for being such a minimalistic bag.

It is not a GoRuck, but I bought mine because I needed something I could roll up and stow in my luggage/GR2.

5. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25?
    Also check eBay to save yourself some money.

#65 steeps, Nov 25, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  6. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I just got them in and have little time with them but...I'd still say give the camelbak hawg and spec ops THE EDC version a look...if you want simple, little to no frills packs. The gorucks look a little bit more refined then either, but for the price difference...at least worth looking at.

I still have not found perfection with the Hawg (older version) or EDC, but I'm probably as close as Ive been for an all purpose general use pack...they are the size I want, could be a little bit bigger..but I'd like more refinement, internal molle and hook/loop, ccw pocket, "extra hidden pockets" etc.

7. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

The GR1 is still $250USD, over $300CAD plus shipping. The Tufa back looks nice, but it's not an open flat design unfortunately.

I did see that one. Still way too many pockets and I honestly really don't like the styling (I know...I'm picky that way)

The Hawg is on my short list, and I may have a chance to get hands on with one in a month or so.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks. If all else fails, I'll just squirrel money away for awhile and bite the bullet on a GR1.

8. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

It's smaller than a gr1 but you could check out the hill people gear tarahumara. Incredibly well built, simple pack. Check out hpg in general.

Outbound likes this.
  9. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

This is a side question...but are there no Canadian made packs that are in the same league for design and quality as many of the US brands ? Or is it just that things like this are all "over priced" up there?

10. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I’m back to my First Tactical pack for this month. I need to carry a lot more stuff and I’ll be in some tough places so I want a day pack that will last.

Here it is in my local pub... Which might not be the most hostile environment in the world, but I have just been Christmas shopping in London which I can assure you is!

[​IMG]

11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

There's few quality pack makers here in Canada. Arcteryx is the leader in packs and gear when it comes to Canadian companies, but they don't make anything quite like what I want.

Pretty much everything in Canada is over priced. Why? Because they can. I hate to say it, but Canadians are wimps when it comes to fighting for fair pricing. They roll over and accept the gouging that companies and the government do. Look at our fuel, mobile, internet and cable prices for example. General retail pricing is higher too. Some of it is due to our lower population and enormous land mass making transport more costly. Import fees etc are other excuses used by retailers. However, I worked in retail for 4 years managing a fishing/hunting store. That lure people buy for $5, the store was paying $2 for as cost. It would retail in the US for $3.50 max, with the US retailer paying about $1.75 cost. It's gouging, plain and simple.

I have 2 friends who moved to the US after marrying American girls. Both make roughly 20% less per hour than they would here in Canada, however theirdisposable income has increased by 45% or better (even after paying for health insurance) due to the lower costs of day to day items and taxes.

If someone offered me a green card, I'd move tomorrow. Canada isn't the utopia people like to think it is...

Ken Badgley and kensington like this.
  12. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Wow. Post is fail. So basically your definition of what country is best is based on whatever allows you to feed your consumerism most efficiently. Well, Canada has 1/10th the people. 1/10th the buying power, so from within your incredibly narrow view of what constitutes a good quality of life, Canada sucks. Move to America or better yet China.

As far as Canadian brands the same holds true, domestically made Backpacks are a niche within a niche, only a subgroup of a subgroup are really willing to pay for these items. For the most parts we flat out don't have the volumes to have it make sense economically. You're pretty much looking at one man cottage industry type operations.

13. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I have many many many more issues with Canada than it's lack of competitive consumerism.

I had a big reply typed out, but honestly...this isn't the place for it. If you really want to have a debate feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to discuss the issues Canadians face especially as I have some unique perspectives on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the country itself. It's the prevailing mindset of the populace and governments I can't stand.

My apologies to mods and members for taking this off the rails. Been a rough weekend and I needed to vent. I chose the wrong place to do it. Feel free to delete my posts if need be.

14. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I see nothing wrong with either post. Opinions are opinions and all are valid in my eyes. I asked a question, you answered it, someone didn't like it? So what. I'm sure both of you (I assume both canucks) have good points on both pros and cons to being America's hat. :)

Outbound likes this.
  15. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Ok, how about the new Hill People Gear Aaron House BC? Not shipping yet... and it’ll cost about a GR1...

16. sparktofire

sparktofire Loaded Pockets

Work/Work Travel is the NextGenWarfighter Citadel Pack - Great pack, look forward to a couple of changes on the Gen 2 version if that ever happens
    Light hikes/Family Travel Kifaru Antero - Perfect in ALMOST every way. Can't believe they didn't put any padding for the laptop/bladder sleeve though

17. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Applys to most former military no matter which branch. I use mil type packs at least half the time and civilian style packs like Deuter and Osprey and Duluth pack the rest of the time. I may carry 4 different packs in one week. I pick out what i feel like for whatever I am doing. I also have a vietnam Alice with frame, acu 3 day assault packs and others and others and others to choose from. Several Arcteryx packs too. Nothing going on here. Nothing to see . just move along.

18. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Over the years I have been through dozens of bags in my quest for "the one". My conclusion is that it depends on your use cases and the load each requires. One use case = there is a perfect bag (for you). In my case I basically have two, with a preferred bag for each.

For business I currently use a Swissgear backpack (no idea of model, at least ten years' old) which holds a tonne of stuff, including two laptops, adapters and cables, a mirrorless camera, and a couple of other pouches with things that I might need. Weight is the main reason I am using this at the moment. An upcoming change of jobs, with a different travel pattern and a lighter load, may take me back to my Tumi Alpha 2 Expandable Organiser Brief. This is about 5 years' old, replacing an earlier version that had been my main bag for 10 years. Before that I had a no name "flight bag" which was OK but the flexibility of the Tumi (and a temporary blip in exchange rates) won me over.

For personal use I carry a Pacsafe V25 CamSafe. This is designed to carry a DSLR camera in a padded lower section, with its own access flap. This has been my "personal" bag for two years now, and I am very happy with it. Previously I tried either "pure" camera backpacks (not enough space for other stuff) or regular backpacks with the camera in a separate tote bag.

19. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

deleted

Last edited by flux, Feb 1, 2018
    #79 flux, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  20. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

which bag is this?