1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Have recent events changed your approach to EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Stryker, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

I do this all the time. Occupational side-effect.

On a side note: while everyone is fleeing a serious "event" give a thought for the emergency services personnel who are called to go straight into the "event." Never underestimate what some of these people are carrying amongst their gear.

Last edited by Fire Fighter, Aug 8, 2016
  2. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Loaded Pockets

Yes. I now carry a long gun in my car. I always have my G19 or 43 on me, but recently started carrying a Kel Tec sub2k gen 2 with 3 33 round mags and a few 17 rounders. Not that I'm going to engage an active shooter if I can avoid it, but it never hurts to have some extra fire power that's hidden and discreet.

3. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

After the events here in France, I only add more bandages and stuff to my medical EDC. I was already in situational awareness state of mind and I maintain to carry EDC all the time.

What have changed here though is the look of people and their mindset about EDCs and "be ready" mindset. Before Paris in november 2015, Nice in july of this year, and all the other attacks we and other western countries suffered, it was quickly to be designed as the "Rambo guy" or "do you have a foldable life raft too?"...especially when you're known as reservist or ex-military. Now nobody asks about the "real utility" of the gear, and nobody tells you you're paranoid when you sit face to the door in a restaurant.

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. AV8R

AV8R Loaded Pockets

Extra magazine! ;-)

Stirling and Bird_Dog like this.
  5. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Yes I now carry a knife at all times. I'm near Boston so that limits me to a 2.5 inch blade so that means my Super Tinker or LM PST.

7. Bird_Dog

Bird_Dog Loaded Pockets

Probably meant as a joke but that is exactly how recent events changed my EDC. :)

AV8R likes this.
  8. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I've renewed my First Aid Cert and am planning out some additional medical aid classes. I've rebuilt my trauma kit based on the advice from the ER Nurse and Paramedics in my family. I've also been getting instruction from a combat medic friend who was in with the 1st Group out of Ft. Lewis. These people have been a wealth of real world knowledge and experience. Their assistance has greatly helped me change my mindset and preparedness if I find myself in a worst-case scenario.

I've also committed funds for 2 additional training classes in Vehicle Defense and Back Country Travel and High Angle shooting. I'm already sitting on the ammo and gear needed for those classes, so any panic buying in and around November won't effect my training schedule.

TC32 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  9. TC32

TC32 Empty Pockets

Sounds like you have a lot of great sources of information to learn from. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear some of it, even if it's just a quick and condensed top 5 bullet points of the information you found most useful.

10. Durandal64

Thanks for the kind words. As I learn more and master some of the concepts and skills they are passing along to me, I will in turn pass them along to the EDCF community.

11. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Similar to an earlier poster, I did not add much post San Bruno to my EDC.

I did add a set of body armor and light breaching tools to my personal vehicle. Frankly, the worst case scenario to me is a Beslan situation, where local officials preparations are overwhelmed and family is at risk. It is a totally unlikely situation, but unfortunately no longer in conceivable.

To each their own, but I applaud the OP and other posters for thinking.

12. ScoutMedic

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

I say Yes... I strongly believe the following list will give me the tools to do 1 of 2 things.
    1) Thwart Foreign or Domestic Tangos and, protect myself & others that cannot.
    2) Get me home

In my "grab bag" I have a half dozen specific major groups of items:

1) Compact- Major Trauma aide pack
    2) Pistol w/extra mags (3) (pistol and mags secured in packs internal holsters & external holster) & Fixed CRK "Nyala"
    3) Surefire M2 w/Rechargeable Extra Batteries 123 & AA with Xtar charger that fits in the zipper pouch of a GZ Nomad 7.
    4) GPS and & Handheld Dual Band ICOM HAM w /AA Battery adaptor
    5) Some Cliff Bars.. (one a day is sufficient) containers for H2O Camel Back/ YETI 18oz. (But no H2O as the water here you can drink from the Baker River/ springs)
    6) S.E.R.E. "Fire Ring" with redundant items (lighter, matches, magnesium, spark generator,signal mirror, Fire Piston, ) TAD Capsule w/ SAS compass and tinder

In my Truck:
    Rain Gear
    BDU Pant
    Boots/Extra Socks
    Functional Gloves ( do yourself a $8.00 favor Mad Grip Pro Rubber gloves @ Lowes / Amazon)
    Rifle/Ammo
    N.O.D.

"DocM"
    Recon Scout Medic

Last edited by ScoutMedic, Sep 18, 2016
  13. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

Added an extra hi capacity magazine. Makes 2 now.

Bkjsdc09 likes this.
  14. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I now carry a knife everywhere, at least an SAK Cadet or Tinker.

I also carry a "tactical" pen everywhere. And I'm a doctor!!!

15. Spyder1

Spyder1 Loaded Pockets

I am very new to the world of EDC and before finding forums like this did so without really thinking about it or knowing it was an actual thing.It is threads like these that really make me wonder am I naive or just ignorant to what is going on in the outside world. I live in Ireland and although we have a long history of terrorism within our country have never felt unsafe in my day to day life. I work as a paramedic and my wife is a police officer and although we have our fair share of uneasy situations we have never feared for our own lives. We are travelling to the states on honeymoon in less than two weeks and I am curious if things really truly are that bad over there at the moment or are you all planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

Adam Ng likes this.
  16. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

In my younger days, many moons ago I had a brush with some gang members that went away after they mostly land themselves in jail and died from overdose. Situation awareness, borderline paranoia is on when I'm out in unfamiliar places. Most of the time I would pay attention to my surounding, not turning my back to the crowd, notice exits and quick shielding spots with easy get away. I thought of ways to fortify rooms and hold out if exit are not immediately present. My in car EDC's also have emergency items like industrial particle masks, quick cloths, bandages... On my person I would have small first aid kit and other items that sufficient to prolong my survival.

17. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

With your trainings and experiences you are better off than most of us here. Enjoy your vacation and load up on items you could not easily find at home. Look up local members wherever you are at I'm sure we could point you to the sources for procurements.

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I haven’t really changed much at all about my EDC. Well, I guess I did change just a couple things…

I’ve been working out at the gym a lot to condition myself for carrying the full-body ballistic armor I now wear…everywhere (including the office), and I’m taking a refresher typing class so I can re-learn how to type with my new Nuclear/Biological/Chemical (NBC) Hazmat suit I wear under my armor. The physical conditioning also helps with my new movement techniques which involve crouch-running from behind car to behind car in a zig-zag fashion across parking lots and establishing fields of fire at each location. I pretty much low-crawl across open all spaces now moving from cover to cover.

The body armor gives a pretty high visual signature, so I’ve added a new Near Earth Reduction Design (NERD) camouflage ghillie suit to cover all that up. It works awesome. I’ve also found I need to carry a new mobile air conditioning unit with me at all times (even in winter). Those suits get HOT (especially when you run everywhere).

Oh yeah, and I’ve also added sandbag buttresses around my desk at work as well as around my entire house. I also had to reinforce the suspension on my truck to handle all the up-armoring I’ve had done to it. Well, that and to be able to carry all the ammo cans for the new recoilless rifle (with GPS-laser targeting) mounted in the bed. Oh, and I had to cut a hole in my roof for the twin 50 turret, leaving a slot for the belt ammo to feed up out of the 5,000 round magazines (where the passenger seat used to be)

I now use exclusively night vision...even during the day...and have placed a head’s-up satellite virtual reality display inside my helmet.

That’s really about all I’ve done. Not much really. I have been able to establish a pretty massive stockpile of supplies at the house with all the extra room though…ever since my wife moved out a few months ago to go live with her mom.

Pretty minimal actually.

:D

Last edited by DCBman, Sep 21, 2016
  19. Dmonfire

Dmonfire Loaded Pockets

My EDC hasn't really changed much other then to include a few more tourniquets (CATs and SWAT-Ts, none of that RAT stuff) here and there. Though that's mostly due to our local medical director advising trained medical personnel to carry them off duty.

20. Durandal64

I'm getting a Gecko45 feel here. /applause

Bkjsdc09 likes this.