1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Have Iphone 4 - get Iphone 5 or Galaxy S3?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ViennaGambit, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Have Iphone 4 - get Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

1. Iphone 5

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Galaxy S3

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

Go for the Galaxy S3! It is a great device and will soon be even better once "Jellybean" comes out. I'm not saying that the iPhone 5 is a bad device, I just think it's playing catch up with the competition.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the Google collective.

2. alukardfe

alukardfe Loaded Pockets

neither iphone 5 is crap, galaxy s3 is to big

3. blackfeathers

blackfeathers Loaded Pockets

i have an existing iphone 4 and some points i see of why i don't plan on getting a 5 just yet(these are personal choices/opinions and don't carry over to everyone):

1. the lighting adapter is yet another dongle i'll have to edc or replace all existing cables. not what i'd like to do in minimal carry situations. i don't want to accidentally lose the adapter if for whatever reason.

2. not an ordinary case: certain other rugged and utility type cases have yet to come out that i'd like to make up my mind when they are in the market, and not end up with more than one case. i'm waiting on possible product reviews of them too. i use a speck toughskin for the 4/4s which is 2 cases in 1 - a snapback case & an outer removable rubber shock case. this makes it versatile with certain accessories. i'd like more versatile options so a proper choice isn't there yet for some things for me... a certain level of versatility & multi-functionality with durability. otterboxes are great but other features beyond that i'll be looking for.

3. ios6 has a few pet peeves like google maps gone & replaced with apple's own maps. i've looked into 3rd party replacements which display google maps like 'fine maps' & 'we map' but aren't quite ideal substitutes. google maps has to be one of my top 3 most often used/needed app with traffic data.

4. arstechnica recently did an article with a few issues with the iphone 5 that some may or may not encounter like light leaks, wifi connectivity issues, siri mistaking geographic locales, and other things that need to be ironed out. (since i'm on my ipad at the moment i'm unable to pull up the link, but those inclined can search for the article.) there are some workarounds for some of those issues. as with anything new, there are bound to be things that pop up to the earlier adopter.

5. currently, i have a previous gen dock connector belt connector that attaches to my iphone so it doesn't take up space in the pocket or need a belt holster. it lets me readily pick up my phone to look things up or let it drop & hang when i have my hands full. similar in concept to the tec3 suspension clip, my iphone carry system lets me put the iphone in the pocket for added security but not weigh the pocket down since it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom. it helps with a minimal carry, keeping pockets free of a phone. if i got a 5 right now, i assume the lightning connector will take away my edc-made functionality and possibly i might have to find an iphone 5 carabiner style rugged case if one ever gets made... something like the opt silicone armor case - only for 4/4s at this time.

6. i have yet to find out if union discounts would be applied to the new phone.

that's my scenario and my particulars

4. N2505
    • In Omnia Paratus

N2505 Loaded Pockets

Its up to your preference, I would personally never buy Samsung. I know that Apple is not original, but samsung copies everything (laptops, phones, cameras), adds a few features and makes it cheaper. I've been an Apple fan for a long time, Apple has become more and more mainstream here in Europe, and that is something which I don't like. I liked being one of the few people that owned Apple products, now everyone has an iPhone.

5. mikespike2

mikespike2 Loaded Pockets

Definitely go look at the iPhone 5 in person if you are considering switching! The aluminum goes along with the fit and finish of most items we normally carry.

I saw a few points above... if the phone has a light leak in the dark they will swap it out no questions asked. Yes Maps is different, and not as good as google's in the US (but better some places like Asia). It will get better quickly as people submit feedback.

6. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Im not exactly objective, I like Android so much I literally wrote a book on it which is on the kindle store, but the Galaxy S3 is undoubtedly the best phone. The big question is whether you want the best phone or if you want an iPhone because of its simplicity and ability to work with other Apple products which are the only strong arguments in the game.

The S3 falls behind in just two categories, its screen is bigger but a lower pixel per inch resolution in a pixel format that some may notice as worse (though only those with good eyesight) and its camera is worse but is adequate for most people.

Tt will generally fall down to whether you want the one size fits all of "just works" or "just works for you" after you tweak it. The iPhone cant do what the Galaxy can, both in built in features but also 3rd party features (iPhone will never have anything like Tasker) and if you want to get really technical with aftermarket ROMs you can make the S3 do things even Samsung didnt consider to make it even more work for you.

7. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I just got a samsung s3, and I will get a otterbox commuter to go with it. What do people thing about the screen being exposed in my pocket? (I know it has that glass, but to be honest, I seen screens break.)

8. Ogre

Ogre Banned

for the tech nerd i am, iphone is never an option. while they are very nice, i want freedom with my device. I spend a lot of time on XDA forums using the custom ROMs devloped by people there and i wouldn't want to be without the customization abilities. Any time i have the option between two items, one locked out, and the other with lots of options for customization, i go with customization. to each their own though, i still tell my wife to stay with iphone, it suites her needs better

9. Ogre

Ogre Banned

jelly bean is pretty sweet.....see thats an example of my post above. im running Jelly bean on a device that never even released an ICS update. the ability to used roms from XDA keeps me satisfied with my device longer!

10. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I love my 4S and hubby just has a 4 and neither of us is spending more money right now on a new phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabregas485 likes this.