1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Have Iphone 4 - get Iphone 5 or Galaxy S3?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by ViennaGambit, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Have Iphone 4 - get Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

1. Iphone 5

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  2. Galaxy S3

18 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

What are you Iphone 4 guys going to do? Go after the IPhone 5 or give the Samsung Galaxy S3 a shot???

been a loyal Apple Iphone guy since I switched from Blackberry years ago and have a Macbook Pro that refuses to die...

With that said, I'm a little intrigued by the massive screen of the Samsung Galaxy S3 as I really use my phone to surf the web more than anything these days and being a tech lover am a little interested in giving the Android system a whirl since I never have... I am not tied down to Apple and honestly dont really use Itunes much or have a million apps that I cannot live without. I mainly just surf, text and take pics. And since Apple changed the charger, I really don't feel tied down as all the spares I have are now useless and I'm not willing to spend $15 a pop on adapters. I do love Apple's reliability and smoothness and that it never ever crashes or lags... It just works.

Any of you other Iphone 4 users in the same boat? Should I stick with Apple or give Galaxy a try?

2. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

If you want to try android do it. I just preordered my iP5, I am switching from android my self. I made the jump because m droid. Has been nothing but trouble sense the ginger bread update, also it has not been supported fr all most 18 month now. I want a phone that will work well and be supported for the next 2 years.

locknload223 likes this.
  3. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

If the current one works, why upgrade?

4. ViennaGambit

The main reason: Bigger screen, faster LTE connection and MUCH better camera - those are 3 areas that I would realy really like to upgrade and they are all significant improvements over my 4...

Plus, I have someone who offered me $100 for my 4 so my upgrade would only be $100 - considering how much I use the phone, thats a great price/value for myself.

5. ViennaGambit

This si exactly what I was worried about - I have friends that love the android then others who say its too buggy... I don't really know what to believe, whicg makes me want to stay with what works: iphone.

6. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Check with stores like best buy and radio shack first, there were people in front of me getting quotes for the 4s in the 300$ range.

7. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

Being both an Android and Apple user, i say if you want to jump ship and try Android go for it. I will tell you that there might be a slight learning curve going to Android. That is just because there is a lot of customization that you can do with the Android phone out of the box. Off the top of my head, you can automatically change the font on your phone, size and font style wise. You can have scroll-able widgets right on your homescreen. This means that you can read your emails directly from the widget without opening the gmail app.The one thing that kind of annoys me about iOS is the fact that you have to do several steps just to turn on wifi. With the S3, you pull down the notification bar and the wifi/bt/gps switch is right there. One step. There are tons of apps on the android market that can help you customize your phone even further. There is also a lot of support on the Android forums. And if you care to try, you can also ROOT your phone, similar to Jailbreaking an iphone, and thus be able to install different roms and themes on your phone. If rooting and changing your phone through development is your cup of tea, you may want to wait until the next Nexus phone comes out. Basically the Nexus phones are what they call Developer phones. These are phones that are supposed to have the Google Experience. Meaning that there is no Vendor bloatware on the phone. it is Pure Google. Also the nexus phones are the first to receive updates, except for CDMA phones. But if you are rooted you can get those updates just as quickly. For instance, when Google release their newest OS, Jellybean, I was able to install that OS on my phone a couple of hours after they released the OS.

Good Luck in whichever you choose. Either way you cant lose!!

8. FunctionMode

FunctionMode Loaded Pockets

Personally, I'd go with the iPhone 5 as I like and have become accustom to the iPhone hardware and software. Most of my friends have Android based phones and I really don't like them; the UI isn't as smooth and user friendly nor is the hardware as pleasant to use(button location and feel) plus battery life is typically worse. The best android phone I've handled IS the Galaxy S3, but I still prefer my 4s. Another consideration is the fact that a "massive" screen poses issues with one handed use unless, of course, you are Andre The Giant.

All this being said: I think you should experience the Android OS. You're only tied down for two years and technology is rapidly evolving so it's not as though the iPhone 5 is going to be the greatest phone to ever exist. The S3 wont be a bad phone and I'll bet you prefer some aspects of it. After two years you may find you like it better and if not there'll be an iPhone 6 waiting for you.

9. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Or bigguy, I cane one hand a note and be fine.

10. Koala3

Koala3 Loaded Pockets

Android can be as user friendly as you make it. I can name my home screens and browser mimic iOS. As far as updates on android if your service provider doesn't OTA the updates fast enough for your liking you can do it manually. I don't like Apple but I also can't deny what they did do for the smart phone world. Android is still a true build of Linux and if you don't mind getting some tech dirt on your hands you can customize every single aspect of it.

11. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I've been with Android since they first came out and I like it very much. I'm really liking the new iPhone but I can't see myself giving up my TMo unlimited plan to switch to a limited plan. My wife and I were debating it through but still haven't decided. I have the iPad2 since it came out, I had the iPad and I have the Nano 3g, also a iPod Touch 4g so I like how nice Apple is but for me I would want to surf the web and download apps all day and without an unlimited plan I can't make that switch. My wife uses her MacBook Pro and iPad2 in her classroom so that's why she was considering the switch but who knows what we might do seeing as our contracts are up soon.

As to the OP you got nothing to lose trying Android. Most cell providers offer a 14 day trial. So try it and if you don't like it take it back.

12. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

The iPhone 5 is a MARGINAL update to the iPhone 4s. You get a tiny bit more screen real estate, and 4G LTE (the AT&T 4G on the 4s is a lie).

I've been on android since the beginning, and being the tech savvy phone nerd in my family and office means I've had to make recommendations to several people. Here's what I tell them:

Do you want a phone that's customizeable, with widgets and other things on your home screen that display useful information without having to open apps? For instance, when I unlock my phone, I have my calendar and the weeks weather displayed without having to do anything. There are other widgets that will display updates from your social networks, e-mails, etc. The trade off here is that all the customization you're able to do can bog down the phone. If you have a ton of widgets running all the time in the background, that can cause some phones to get very laggy. If you keep your homescreens simple and only have what you need and use regularly running as widgets, then Android can be smooth as you like it to be. The quad core phones that are commonplace now are more than capable of running a resonable number of widgets. The new JellyBean OS with "project butter" is every bit as smooth and fluid as iOS.

Do you not care about customization and want a Phone that "just works"? Then go with the iPhone. It's true to the promise that it "just works". It's a great system. It's smooth, you don't have to worry about what apps are running all the time because Apple says you can't run apps all the time. And that's fine. They're both more than capable OSes.

If you're tech savvy, you can root your phone and completely customize everything about the UI. If timely SW updates are important to you, then you can either Root and install them yourself (they're usually available as stable builds for the most popular phones within a few weeks of their official release), or you can buy a Nexus phone, currently the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Personally, I bought the Droid Razr Maxx becuase Verizon and Samsung crapped on that phone by giving it a crap camera (5 MP? Seriously? It's 2012 for Christ's sake!) and no expandable storage.

So what it comes down to, do you want something that "just works", or do you want something that's is more customizeable to your personal needs and also works really well provided you don't tax the system too much (which you are able to do if you're careless with your resources).

13. blackfeathers

blackfeathers Loaded Pockets

when it comes to an iphone or an android phone i'm rather agnostic - from a utilitarian standpoint of use whatever works for what you need to do. i've committed to ios because of all the useful apps i've invested in and other personal caveats but see benefits of other things.

however, for those contemplating the iphone 5 i suggest to wait it out for several reasons:
    1. your existing phone may likely already have a rugged/durable & reliable case, screen protector, cables &/or other compatible peripherals or accessories that work.

2. the iphone 5 being new has a taller & thinner dimension with a new dock connector, which may necessitate new accessories that may currently be unavailable or in higher demand or higher priced. this is especially important because now kinks have to be worked out in this transition of what stuff works, works well, or doesn't work.

3. your new iphone 5 may go unprotected without a decent case like an otterbox or some other "thing" that would help protect it better that you end up spending more on accessories because something better -eg. case, armband, holster, cable, stand... comes along two months from now, that you have something you may eventually not need.

in a manner of speaking, there's an "early adopter" tax for those willing to get it now & don't mind these potential issues.

i'll probably get one much later, after i've done research of what good accessories that will be out by then. i'd then have choice in selections and a buying strategy of knowing what case, screen protector, and other stuff i'll be putting into the bill.

right now it's too early for that.

14. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I think the $199 iPhone 5 price point will drive down prices
    of all other smart and cell phones in the marketplace
    today. Smart Apple move! BTW, I believe the charger
    is a different design on the new iPhone too.

I talked to my doctor yesterday, he told me that he
    was perfectly happy with his 4S and didn't plan to
    upgrade anytime soon.

15. Imgettinto50

Imgettinto50 Loaded Pockets

Get a Lumia 920. Try Windows Phone, its cool.

16. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

As an iPhone 4 user, I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 early this morning. :bounce: And I freely admit that I'm a fan, not a fanatic. I've had great success with my Apple purchases and have no reason to bash them or any other tech thingy except maybe my Sony HDTV....bad color block engine and way past the recall! RRRRGGHHH!

I'm excited for the better camera, faster processor, 4G, Siri (turn by turn maps!!), and the return to the aluminum body! The connector change doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would, no docks and such. I do have a car interface, but as of now it's flaking out on me, if my better half can fix it I'll just continue using my IP4 as a glorified iPod. Hopefully DICE comes out with a replacement cable for the IP5. I don't care for a bigger phone size, the current one is perfect for my petite hands, so glad it didn't grow overall. Don't have a fortune invested in cases either...paid $15 for a Proof case and won a Griffin Survivor on Twitter so I was set but not attached so to speak. Probably doesn't help you make your decision but 'Droid has never appealed to me in the least so I really have no pros and cons for you!

17. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

The iphone 5 is not $199. If you read the small print its $199+ the cost of a 24 month contract.

TomWelch likes this.
  18. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

I'll stick with iPhone for now. I have a 3 GS so moving to the 5 is a step. If I had a 4S, not sure I'd go for the 5. As far as Android, I have heard pros and cons. If I'm not mistaken, most upgrades are not free unlike Apple. Plus I'm an App monster so...

19. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

Adapters are already available to use the 30 pin accessories on the iPhone5. So are cases.

Last edited by Lannister, Sep 14, 2012
  20. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I am thinking about an iPhone at the moment, but I doubt I will get the iPhone 5. I am thinking I will get the 4s as there is £80 difference, or I may even cheap out and go for the 4 as thats £319.