1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Has EDC/Prepping/Survival/etc. become mainstream?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by mooshi, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jericanman

jericanman Loaded Pockets

if its gone mainstream .. we missed out in the uk. i dont think ive ever met another prepper / edcer. i guess my mum sort of preps (veggie garden, pantry store, jam, pickles canning food etc) but she just makes a lot of food and stores a lot of food.

as for edc, ive never met an edcer in real life, occationaly i might see someone with a multitool, or a pocket knife, but more often than not its a £2 peice of junk that they got in a christmas stocking filler or something. if i start talking about knife grinds, steel types, brands etc,, their eyes glaze over and they point the men in white coats in my direction. (its so hard to type with a straight jacket on lolz)

but seriously no one edc's here when at work im the go to guy for fixing things, oh dave can i borrow your knife, oh dave can i borrow your letherman, oh dave can i use some of your duct tape.... and so on. no one thinks to carry their own.

with my mates its even worse, they know i carry loads of stuff so i swear they dont bother because dave will have what they need.

makes me wonder if i stopped edcing for a few weeks how many people i know would go and buy themselfs a small pocket knife at the minimum.

i havent seen any edc stuff in the shops opver here, maybe in a shop like millets or oswald bailys (outdoor adventure type shops) they may have a small display case with a few SAK's in it and a letherman or 2. thats about it.

mooshisho likes this.
  2. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

@jericanman ... interesting observations. Wonder if representative of UK (or are you just hangin' with the wrong people :D). Seriously, wonder if this is the experience of others living in different area of UK. Nuphoria ... you listening?

3. jericanman

thanks to our crazy laws and the public being about as clever as a baked potato, knives are seen as weapons even if it totaly legal, i dont pull out my ukpk spyderco in some places because i know ill get odd looks, maybe more. with statements like " you planning on stabbing someone" i try and explane its a tool not a weapon but it mostly falls on deaf ears.

im sure its worse in some parts of the uk , city's like london and all. i live on the south coast in dorset, right next to the sea, here it aint so much of a problem but people will still think your crazy if your prepared. i dont get it, maybe no one went to scouts like me. or more likely they did and thanks to stupid helth and saftly ******* (add your own swearwords for the helth and safty nuts) scouts these days dont even use knifes. they probbably are issued with large rubber balls as tools so they cant hurt them selfs.

ramblers and hikers are usly prepared to some level. i allso geocache a lot and the few geocachers i have met seem to keep some edc on them. maybe not to the same level as me but better than none. but thats probably due to the nature of geocahcing. you might need a screwdriver to open a cache, or a pry bar , or a torch to reflect of a firetack..or for example one geocache i own, you need a regular philiphs screwdriver to get into the main container and a mini one to get the log book inside. the amount of log's i have on that cache with people making return trips to open it is so funny,, but a few people did it in one go because they had a letherman in their bag and a screwdriver set for their glasses.

Last edited by jericanman, Jun 28, 2012
  4. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Interesting perspective. Thanks!
    Do you still have the Air Cadets program? I participated two of the three years lived in UK as young lad.

5. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

As long as the apes don't have to wear it ... :rofl: Surrealisic interlude: "Look ma', the gorillas are wearing orange paracord bracelets. And the Orang-Utans got black ones!"

SAKplumber, KAMM and mooshisho like this.
  6. tinker gnome
    • In Omnia Paratus

tinker gnome Loaded Pockets

I feel for you. :twins: There are quite some EDCF members from the UK. Maybe it's time for a gathering? :hug:

mooshisho likes this.
  7. jericanman

yeh we have Cadets still.

8. karacer

karacer Loaded Pockets

My niece showed me last week that our local Wal-Mart is selling paracord bracelets now as well. And even a local craft store is selling the Paracord you have shown from Michaels. I had to go buy some of the bright colors , since both nieces wanted Pink and Green bracelets. Or as they refer to it, as powerbait pink and bright green.

9. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

[quote="jericanman, post: 1234072, member: 29873"
    or a torch to reflect of a firetack...[/quote]

Please define firetack.

10. jericanman

Please define firetack.[/quote]

oh fire tacks are small reflective disks that you attach to tree's or the like so a path can be followed at night time to find a geocache. a lot of people use them to set massive night trails that are impossible to follow in the day time. (as they look a dull brown in the day) so you can only get the geocache if you go hunting at night.

11. musicman13

musicman13 Loaded Pockets

I can see the postings on facebook now:
    "I was EDCing before it was popular!"

bzimmerly and mooshi like this.
  12. musicman13

musicman13 Loaded Pockets

The Air Force runs the Civil Air Patrol which is an air cadets program from what I've gathered.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I recently found out that my sister-in-law (and my brother) are preppers and have been for about five years. They started after massive ice storm left them without public utilities for a few weeks. Her opinion is that you can't count on anyone (specifically local, state, and federal government) to help you in situations like this. They mainly have a means to heat their home, cook, filter water, and have food on hand.

My co-worker on the other hand is hardcore. Remote land with a water source, solar and wind power generation, food stores, etc... He told me he started prepping in 2008 when the economy started taking a dive.

I think people have been doing it for a long time, but things are just now getting to where people talk about. Even the Oklahoma department of Homeland Security airs commercial encouraging people to be prepared for disasters. All the end of the world talk has also helped drive the prepper craze too.

mooshisho likes this.
  14. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I'd seen those too. I think they were for the Fisher House Foundation. I won't lie - I did want that lime green one. :) I believe Wally World was selling them for $4.00 each.

15. HybridMomentsPass

I work for a competitor for Michaels - the company I am working for also sells that same brand of "550 Cord"

I see it four days a week, some kid (12-15 usually) telling his mom, "But mom, its a survival bracelet, if something happens you can use that to help protect yourself and build stuff"

Silly.

That being said, I'll be posting a thread soon of Craft Store EDC items and great deals from the unlikely places....cheap "paracord" not being included

bzimmerly, SAKplumber and mooshi like this.
  16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Lookin' forward to that thread, HybridMomentsPass! :D

HybridMomentsPass likes this.
  17. HybridMomentsPass

Bought some stuff yesterday, need to take pictures this afternoon
    I was surprised by a few things that were there and really cheap...even before my discount (which is now only 25%).

I'll post a link to the thread once I create it Mooshisho

mooshisho likes this.
  18. HybridMomentsPass

And let me add, in my store, we'll get a shipment of the 550 cord in and it'll be gone within a week......about 100 packs of 16" cord each. Plus instruction books. Plus the clasps etc.

Its big for small crafters, people can make them sort of cheaply (way cheaper to buy the real stuff) and sell them for profit. Have seen different people such as sports teams doing them to raise money, same for boyscout/girlscouts etc
    People eat that mess up, its funny to me.

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Yeah. After that first week that I'd found the cord at Michaels, it was completely sold out. I was hoping to just get a couple for the novelty of having different colors without having to deal with purchasing online.

20. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think that to some extend it is becomming mainstream.. I have not met or seen more than two or 3 other edc'ers in my town but paracord is everywhere.. The veterans 'unions' sell them and they have become kind of a symbol of the armed forces when not in uniform, but edc as mainstream.. I dont think the general public is carrying two knoves and 3 flashlights yet.. That might change in the future