1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone repaired a Super Auto?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Alacrity, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Alacrity

Alacrity Loaded Pockets

I have this sweet Super Auto I enjoy playing with. They are kinda hard to get by here, so I prize it probably more than it's worth. Just this morning it failed on me, the blade simply got out a quarter of an inch and stopped. Actually it has somehow disengaged from the mechanism and now it's floating freely. I just hope nothing snapped inside. Has anyone ever opened one? Is it glued or has it got some fasteners? Please help :eek:

This is the bad boy:
    [​IMG]

2. heck333
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

Try pulling out the blade to the front until it re-engages the mechanism. That will work if the blade has just disconnected from the firing mechanism due to being blocked by something upon opening, like trying to fire the knife into cardboard or your hand or such.

Greg

3. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

These cheap OTF switchblades aren't known for being particularly well made. The double action mechanisms just aren't capable of standing up to the same level of use as a more conventional folder.

This one looks like a clone of the old NATO switchblade. You might be able to find some info by just doing a google search. You might be able to just fix it with a few parts.

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I doubt of you'd be out much if you can't fix it. I'd just dive in there and try to get it running.

5. Alacrity

Alacrity Loaded Pockets

I've tried this at once, and it didn't work.

The problem, as I see it is that
    [​IMG]
    these "sort of smal liner locks" which hold the blade in open or retracted position, somehow detach from their rest upon firing. And I have no idea why? Why now?

This is where they should be
    [​IMG]

6. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Problem solved?

7. Alacrity

Alacrity Loaded Pockets

Kinda. I put everything together, fired it a couple of times and it works. I've heard folks on Talkblade say that disassembling and setting the leaf springs back is a common procedure with these OTFs. I've thought about supergluing them, just don't know if it will affect the operation. Thank you all for the suggestions.

8. Roceifin

Roceifin Empty Pockets

Hey, im trying to fix one of these my grandpa had.
    I cant figure out why it doesn't have any spring action to it. it doesn't 'shoot' out or back in. would you happen to still have it somewhere? i would REALLY appreciate it if you could get me a photo of the blade side of the inside. i think there is a part missing in mine, and that is why it wont work right.

edit: I got it to work somewhat. its not a smooth mechanism though.
    the issue i have is with the knife going back to the little L catch thing, and getting caught. the L catch keeps going into a hole that is on the back end of the blade, and that locks it from coming out. Im not an expert at all with these knives, and soo this is a big learning process for me, but it seems that that shouldn't be happening at all.

(excuse me for the bump. I've looked everywhere online to try and find help but nowhere is turning up any decent results)

Last edited by Roceifin, Apr 18, 2016
  9. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

LOL, throw it away.

Get a Microtech

10. Roceifin

Roceifin Empty Pockets

i like fixing things, and im determined to fix this. ive figured it out pretty well. however, im going to modify it so it works 2x better. i have to make a new part for it though, in order to do that.

11. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had one of these for $5-6 and tried to stab in a wood a couple of times, it bent the iron part inside that holds the blade opened and needed to open it to fix them, than I tried to try the blade itself and I bent it like a piece of paper, weaker than aluminium? YES! Who knows what that blade was made of, I just threw the knife away.

12. Roceifin

Roceifin Empty Pockets

that iron part inside, im going to make a new one.

13. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

OK, just make sure you replace the blade also :).