1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone here been shocked by either a taser or stun gun?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by BJE, Nov 26, 2006.

1. BJE

BJE Empty Pockets

I was just wandering what it felt like? How much did it hurt? Would if stop you if you really wanted something that you couldn't have? Please share your stories with me, I am looking to get one, and just wandering whether they work more on shutting down nerve responses or pain or both.

2. VWTim

VWTim Empty Pockets

Taser's are good, most stun guns are useless for real defense. I've got some videos of a drunken night where we shocked each other with a stun gun. It hurt, but just for a second, and didn't stop you from doing what you were before.

3. Adrena1in

Adrena1in Empty Pockets

I think one of the most "useful" pranks I ever saw on Jackass was where they tested some sort of pepper spray and a Tazer-type thing. He just laughed when he was Tazered, (though it did put him on the floor), but the Pepper Spray really immobolised him.

But no, I've never been Tazered. Used to hold onto electric fences when I was kid though, then touch people if they came too close! ;D

4. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Tazer doesn't really "hurt" although it's far from pleasant. It just makes you collapse and feel like all your body is in spasm until the current is switched off. Pepper spray oh yes that hurts.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yes,

A girlfriend from a decade ago did, she just wanted to see if it worked. Then she thought it would be fun to chase her brother with it and try to get him.

6. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Only a hit from a 90K volt "stun" flashlight. It gets your attention so you'd move away quickly but it wasn't debilitating.

-LT

7. Disector

Disector Empty Pockets

Stun guns are only unpleasant. Taser X-26 is the most PAINFUL thing I've ever experienced, imagine someone sratching your spine with a fork while an elephant sits on you. Several of the guys I work with said if they have to be shocked again to recert that they just won't do it. On the street I've seen at least two people wet their pants.

8. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

Kind of, I tested my German Shepherds training shock collar on myself. Hurt like heck. I decided to throw it out. I pamper my dogs. We had a guy in college you used to zap the metal frames of the beds people were sleeping on. A lot of cursing and yelling but not a show stopper. The ASP baton his roomate had was much more effective.

9. boomstick

boomstick Loaded Pockets

We used pillow cases filled with combat boots but thats another story and it was only until someone arm got broken.

Not been done by a taser or stun gun but I have had a belt from a car dizzy cap and that felt like I'd put my hand on a steel work bench and smacked it with a hammer as hard as I can :knuppel2:

10. quietmike

quietmike Loaded Pockets

I was not at all impressed with asp batons, having used them twice while a LEO without any effect I gave mine away. Some pepper spays work great, Freeze +P and Zark Vexor are my two choices. Regular stun guns are about like an electric fence, painful but not debilitating. Tazers on the other hand are the best non-lethal thing I've ever seen. The training video shows a full grown Brahma bull being hit and it instantly falls and stays down until the current is stopped. I've NEVER seen ANYONE fight their way through a tazer. The frequent fliers at our jail who had been hit by one only had to be threatened to be tazed again and they would stop what they were doing. No one wanted to "ride the lightning" again!

11. Mitfox

Mitfox Loaded Pockets

I've experience with taser X26 before. I'm a average size guy, 1.77m, 65Kg. My only experience with X26 is sitting on the floor, mentally and physically prepared to be tasered. I was able to withstand the current going through the body. (1 squeeze of the trigger last 5secs)
    But no one from my unit was able to stand on both feet after being shot at. Period :laugh:

12. Toolboy

Toolboy Empty Pockets

I think being tazed is one of the more unpleasant things I've ever had done to me. Of course, after the initial 5 seconds you feel fine, unlike pepper spray which can be unpleasant for an hour.

I've seen the taser not work several times- but it is because the person isn't darted properly. If you get both darts, you are going down- period.

Stun guns are sorta dumb. Sure they hurt and make you jump back. And then you get pissed and pummel the person who just shocked you. I wouldn't ever use one.

13. doctorbenny

doctorbenny Empty Pockets

To those belittling the effects of stun guns: Were you hit with a puny little stungun, or something serious in the range of 500,000+ volts?

14. louiebob

louiebob BST/Marketplace ban

I own a 800,000 volt stun gun called the zap stick which I EDC. I was shocked with it in order to see if it actually worked (wanted to make sure since I was depending on it to a certain degree). I was shocked through several layers of clothing and it felt like i was being burned with a soldering iron on that part of my limb (it hurt BAD). While I am more than confident I can back up my stun gun with strong defensive tactics, it is an excellent tool to make someone get off you or make someone let go in the event you are being choked or assaulted in a similar way.

15. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

I have never been tased with a Taser brand stun device. I have however been shocked (repeatedly) with a "300,000 volt" stun gun and a couple of other brands of various lesser voltages. I don't recall the specific model of the 300,000 volt but it was supposedly reputable and took two 9 volt Batteries as its power supply.

I had been told that the "theory" behind a stun gun is that as the human body sends impulses via electricity, therefore if you introduce enough electricity into the body the brain gets all confused and starts mixing up signals causing collapse. Having been shocked by a stun gun I did not find this to be the case.

First let me say that the 300,000 volts WAS incredibly unpleasant. However, once you got to know what to expect, it wasn't quite as bad. A short BUZZ,Z,Z from a stun gun is NOT going to drop you to the ground like in the movies. I am not trying to sound like a tough guy. It did not drop me or any of the other guys who tried it (at least 5 others).

Anyhow, we tried upping the duration of the shocks to see if we could achieve some manner of disorientation, even tried different locations on the body with longer and longer duration. Still, NO DICE! We would get shocked for 10-20 sec. Walk across the room, bend over pick something up, try to push over the guy who just got stunned with not the least bit note worthy after effect. One guy even went so far as to take it on the side of the neck for 5-10 seconds. You would think that this would have the best chance of mixing a guy up, but it didn't.

So to add more hearsay to the mix after all the experimenting, another guy (who I might add was not participating in getting shocked) tells us that its not the voltage but the amperage.....

What do I know? Not much more now than I did before. I know that Taser claims that their product will drop pretty much anyone (Met the Taser reps once at the shot show). Why, I can't say. Maybe because the Taser uses x-number of volts combined with x-number of amps or perhaps because the electrodes are a substantial distance apart causing a broader spectrum of muscles to spasm. They are no longer allowed to demonstrate the Taser at the shot show but the reps had offered to Tase me off site if I really wanted to. Perhaps fortunately for me, when I called that evening the rep didn't answer his phone or return my call.

Although it doesn't make sense to me that Tasers would "work" and stun guns not, supposedly over 150 people a year are killed by Tasers. Maybe getting shot/shocked in the back unexpectedly is part of what makes the Taser brand effective, although people also apparently get dropped from getting shocked with the electrodes on the front side of the body...

There are hundreds of videos of people "playing" with stun guns on youtube. Enough to make it seem like a joke. Maybe the Taser is incredibly effective vs a stun gun or maybe on the account that Tasers are substantially more expensive is why you don't see people messing around with them on youtube.

I half wonder if people fall down from Tasers because they are programed to believe that they will fall down. For instance, I have seen some people collapse from stun guns on youtube and in my experience that seems unreasonable! I can certainly understand people submitting to repeated electrical shock that they can't get away from. It certainly makes resisting arrest suddenly seem like a very bad/painful idea.

16. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

It's the gap between the barbs that makes the difference. If you "Drive stun" with a taser it hurts, a lot but it doesn't cause nervous disruption, this is just like a stun gun it gets compliance by pain. If you are hit by the barbs after they spread more than about 6 -8 " apart then you can't do anything your muscles no longer do what you tell them until the current stops. There are no reported cases of anyone being killed by a taser in the same way as someone being killed by a bullet. It can be a factor in making something else kill people though.

17. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

"Nationwide, more than 150 people have died after being stunned by Electronic Control Devices (“ECD”) commonly referred to as Tasers."

http://www.miamisao.com/publications/grand_jury/2000s/gj2005s.pdf

18. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Due to my lifestyle of trying to stay out of trouble, I've never been on the shocking end of a taser... I'd love to try it though... Tasing someone that is to say. I'd assume If you're a criminal being tased is better then being shot dead. The taser at least gives you a chance of living, & it has the added benefit of not making your body look like Swiss cheese (maybe less painful then beanbag rounds too?).

"We've got a runner"
    [​IMG]

19. Turbolax1

Turbolax1 Empty Pockets

Been "stunned" and Tasered. Not much to say about the stun guns. I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Being Tasered was the worst pain of my life. It was horrible. I'm pretty sure I invented new curse words in those few seconds. The funny thing though, was after the ride, I felt elated. Sort of an afterglow.

I've deployed the Taser several times and agree with Toolboy. It has it's limitations and you better have a plan "B" in case the probes don't stick.

For some real fun, try the shock knife. It adds significant "motivation" to your training sessions.

http://www.shocknife.com/

20. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I am willing to bet far more have died after drinking coffee and as we know an awful lot of people die in their sleep. So it doesn't really matter what they were doing before they died unless you think that coffee or sleep "Caused" all those deaths. If you read the report you quoted you will find it comee to the same conclusion A taser will raise someones stress levels and will make them fall over. Both of these things can, in rare circumstances add to other factors to kill you and that is why a Taser can be a contributory factor in injury or death. But so long as it's not used on someone who is otherwise compliant it is less lilely to do either of those things than the alternatives.