1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever actually WASHED their Maxpedition bags? and what happened?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Gnarly, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Just got back from an Elk hunt...my black Maxped Jumbo Versipack got filthy,inside & out...mostly powdery dust,almost as fine as talcum powder.
    It looks almost khaki!
    'Wipe it down with a damp cloth.Let dry naturally' is not gonna work in this case.
    I emailed Maxped CustServ...no reply.:mad:
    Called & spoke w/ an employee...who had no idea :lolhammer: what would happen if I followed my instinct,hung it in a tree & hose it off,then let it air-dry. :sigh:
    She said "everyone in Tech Support is in a meeting", but she'll have someone call me back....:laugh:
    And said I'd be voiding my warranty.:laugh:
    Told her this isn't a warranty question; bought it here,used.... just curious what happens if you really do take the 'Hard-Use Gear' part seriously,and get their stuff 'way too filthy for damp rags to clean.

So now I'm even more curious: has anyone else decided: it's either "hard-use gear or that's :censored:?

And if hosing it off makes it ravelfraydisintegratemeltvanish,I have another brand-new Jumbo VP in Khaki/black + 7 or 8 of the Maxped 1411B sheaths,for sale...real cheap.:mad:

Gonna mull on this awhile & wait for replies.
    No,actually,I'm gonna go lap a set of Burris Xtreme Rings and mount a scope and do some handloading chores....but between now and dark:thirty tonoc,I'm taking the hose and giving it a bath.:crackup:

You daymbetcha.:agree:

~Gnarly

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Voiding the warranty by washing it?! :crazy2:

I can't see how washing it would hurt. Detergents may accelerate the break-down of water resistant coatings (if applicable), but those can be reapplied. I could also understand a prohibition against top-loading washers - the agitator could catch loose bag straps.

Personally, I would wash it in a bucket of cold water with camp soap or other mild detergent, rinse well, and air dry. If that voids the warranty, then you should return the bag as defective before washing it.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Maxpedition bags and if you follow my advise, you do so at your own risk. I'm probably wrong and you should treat your Maxped bag like a dainty and delicate flower, as advised by Maxped customer service.

Edit to Add - Official Maxped answer:

3. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

I recommend finding a friendly panda who will, if properly bribed with bamboo and unmarked large bills, very likely lick it down for you and even retie your zipper pulls.

Or, you could just dilute some murphy's oil soap in a bucket of warm water, get a medium-hard bristle nylon scrubbie (one of those green flat things that lives under your sink will do), find a patch of sunshine, and give it the once-over.

Or you could go with the panda thing.

4. savage_here

savage_here Loaded Pockets

I just washed my Eagle Industries Becker Patrol Pack in a front loader and it worked fine. Put it in a mesh bag so that none of the straps would be free to roam around and washed it in the delicate cycle on cold.

I didn't want to put it in the sun to dry, so I put it in front of a large patio fan and left it for a few hours, rotating accordingly.

5. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

+1 to the panda thing.

Those tubby bastards are gentle as all get out.

6. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Take it outside and spray it down with a hose....

7. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

If it's second hand I don't see any harm in washing it inside a mesh bag, inside a washing machine with no detergent on just the rinse and spin dry cycle. A rinse is better than a wash and might not remove the chemical treating. If anything it might make the bag softer just by being agitated.

If it were me? I'd take it to the Dry Cleaners. Tell them the situation. Ask them to see what they could do. Most likely they'll get it cleaned.

8. dmanny

dmanny Loaded Pockets

I have hosed off my Pygmy Falcon and had no ill effects. I didn't use detergent. I made sure to wipe it down good.

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

All my bags have been thru the wash one time or another. Kelty, Mt. Smith, Kifaru, TAD, Maxped....I use a short cycle with a small amount of unscented Tide. Hang out to dry. Might want to secure the straps.

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Thanx! for your input,all.

~Gnarly

P.S. I love a good controversy,and I'm not above starting one!

11. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

i dont know but i know this: most velcro i have encoutered will not withstand washing machine cycle well. one side looses the ability to grab and other might loose its ability to stick. (i have actually ended up with partly melted velcro materialstrips (the sticky kind) if using too hot cycle)

hosing it down or washing it by hand (not too hot water) with very mild and small amount of washing detergent/soap of somekind would be my approach. first just water.. then if its not enough add soap. always move from gentle to harder stuff in soaps and you will do less damage if there is damage to be done.

and my personal thought: a heavy user type gear should last every kind of wash and stuff you hit it with. eventually i will encouter this problem. the mongo is on its way finally. and knowing me.. it will be needing a wash of somekind by xmas atleast. :)

12. Flexxx

Me and my Maxpdition Fatboy fell in a river once while fishing, it really sucked....

I just hung it up outside, it took a few hours to dry, its all good now.

13. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

I would be embarrassed to ask a question like this. But here goes:

It's nylon. It can be washed.

Sure the velcro will wear out but that will take A LOT of cycles.

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

To WASH or Not to Wash; that is the question!

Just got home from sighting in a friend's shoulder-jolting .338 Lapua.

Then I got a reply from Maxped Tech Support!

They cannot advise any washing except the 'damp cloth' method.

They suggested that I should buy another Jumbo Versipack,if I wanted it to be 'fresh & clean.'

And also mentioned that,due to their current promotion,I could receive a free wallet,since the Jumbo would cost over $75.

For any member interested in their complete reply,please email me at:

attitudeRN@gmail.com

Thanx! for your interest & answers.

~Gnarly

15. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Haha. I love how they tried to sell you a new bag. Gotta love that kind of nerve.

16. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

You received a "our policy is to respond to customer support questions using a standard set of responses that are documented in a three-ring binder, ostensibly to ensure consistency, but practically to accommodate high turn-over in our customer support staff and limited training resources" answer.

17. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

I suspect you are right...but they need not worry about selling me any more products;ever.

Any outfit that claims to be 'Hard-Use Gear', but can only suggest a 'damp cloth' for cleaning (or else buy a replacement!) still sucketh mightily.

Just my opinion.

~Gnarly

18. Flexxx

I don't see a problem with there response.

This is directly from there website.

Cleaning Instructions
    •MAXPEDITION's nylon fabric is treated with Dupont Teflon for superb water and grime resistance.
    •To clean, simply wipe down with a damp cloth. Allow gear to dry naturally.
    •Do not machine wash.
    •Do not use detergent or bleach.

19. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I would NOT machine wash it. The danger is that during the spin cycle part of the bag might rub against something with enough speed to melt nylon. This actually happened to me when I washed an LL Bean backpack years ago and a strap got a big melted patch on it. If you choose to machine wash do not let it spin. I would just fill a big tub or utility sink with warm soapy water and submerge and shake, repeat with clean water to rinse, then air dry. Notice Maxpedition say do not MACHINE wash, they don't say don't wash it at all.

20. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Another option would be to fire up the air compressor. In my case, I would bring it to my mechanic and borrow his. Pandas don't hold a candle to a 135 psi. air stream.