1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hard shell delaminating?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Akilae, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

In anticipation of winter I took out my hardshell to make sure it was still weather-worthy. I pulled it over my fleece and took it off again. I was surprised to see a ton of white flakes all over the shoulders of my fleece, and no, I don't have a serious case of dandruff :lolhammer:. I looked on the inside of the hardshell and found out the white lining on the shoulder regions were flaking off like crazy. I googled but couldn't come up with any concrete information on this. Is hardshell delamination a common occurrence, or is this something that shouldn't be happening? Granted the hardshell is old (4~5 years old) and has lost some of its waterproofing, but I never expected to see this severe a case of delamination.

2. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

contact the manufacturer, they may have an answer for you.

3. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

I have had the privilege to de-lam 3 gore-tex jackets. One from TNF (old school before VF bought them) and a second from Sierra Designs. In my case the outer nylon shell had a soft spot in it and started forming tiny bubbles under the surface. TNF basically screwed me, but I had a great outdoor store handling the return and they gave me a Arc Teryx jacket (which I had severe problems with less than a year later). The sierra designs jacket was exchanged via mail, and the Patagonia jacket was exchanged no questions asked in their Washington, DC store. I guess my sweat is fairly acidic and the only thing to stand the test of time has been a Patagonia H2NO fabric jacket.

4. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

It's the teflon layer. I've had it happen with an REI jacket. They warranted it but that wasn't much in this case. It had been a couple of years since the purchase so they only gave me credit for the then price of the jacket which was very little as it had been discontinued a year or two prior.

Good luck, you might not get much but it's hard to say till you contact the vendor/maker.

5. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Well, I did some digging and it seems the delamination is something of a crap shoot, it happens to some but not to others... I emailed the manufacturer (Columbia) last week but haven't heard anything back. I'll probably call tomorrow to see if they're willing to do anything about it. I suspect it might be like phatch's case at best, as I also bought the hard shell as a discontinued product...